LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:42 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
gun control
Page 3 of 3 [43 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Waramp

0.59 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject:  

just give everybody guns on their 8th birthday. problem solved. the weak and slow-on-the-draw will perish, the strong and Quick-Draw McGraw-like will take over. elections should be determined by a duel at 10 paces, not something as stupid as votes.

http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showuser=246043
ubermoose
LLD101 Staff

BNet Acct/Realm: Europe
3.49 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject:  

Meegz ? wrote:
Also, one of the magazines you get for being a member of the NRA, American Rifleman I believe is the name (I don't subscribe because I dislike some of the ways they do things in the NRA) but anyways, in the first couple pages of each issue of that they have 1-3 pages filled with stories of people around the U.S. defending their homes from armed attackers with legally owned firearms. Now, I don't know how often someone accidentally shoots someone else, but I know its usually on the news. I don't see that on the Indianapolis news very often. Dunno how it is for the rest of the country, but here it doesnt seem to be too rampant of a problem.

If it was in perspective, the rest of the magazine would be filled with stories about people being killed, accident or murder, by legally bought guns.

Also, what on earth do you keep in your kitchen? I very much doubt you could make a bomb able to kill 30+ people with a few cleaning products.
sPiN
The tool formerly known as Tool

BNet Acct/Realm: Quit D2.
22.16 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject:  

It's not guns that need to be controlled, it's the people. As Hammurabi said "an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth" basically I think if someone murders someone, they should be executed as well. Eventually people will catch on, and if not then they don't deserve to live.

Meegz ?

BNet Acct/Realm: *meegz @ east ladder
39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject:  

Alright...I said a bomb, and in some kitchens I could find what I would need to kill 30+ people. Easiest example: Tinfoil and the Works. Then I wrap a 2 liter bottle in small pieces of metal, so when it explodes, the shrapnel either kills or maims anyone within say 20 feet? With what I can go buy at Wal-Mart I can make a bomb big enough to destroy your house. With some overkill. And no one would suspect a thing when I bought the stuff is the bad part. Especially if I made 2 trips.

I'm not trying to freak people out or come off like some Waco-nut, its just that it irks me when people think that they are completely safe from someone who has the internet and a Wal-Mart nearby. People doing stupid shit like that bothers me. I dunno. I guess I don't like seeing people be so naive to what the average Joe with $100 and an idea can do.

Napalm loves the little children of the world.
Hades

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject:  

Did a quick search on the net and came up with this on the first page, make of it as you will:

Quote:
Most Mass Gun Killers are also Legal Gun Owners - Research

The following data were prepared in the wake of the shooting in Erfurt, Germany, 26 April 2002.

In the 14 deadliest mass shootings committed in wealthy nations during the past 35 years:

79% of the victims were shot with lawfully held firearms (185 of 233 victims)

86% of these mass shooting (12 of 14) were committed by lawful gun owners

Many killers, like the 19-year-old who shot 16 people dead at his school in Germany, were previously law-abiding sporting shooters or pistol club members - men whose legal ownership of guns was not questioned by authorities until after the tragedy.

Deadliest Mass Shootings (10 or more dead) in Western Democracies

1966-2002

Date
Place Dead Legal status

26 Apr 2002 Erfurt, Germany 16 + 1 Legal guns, pistol club member
27 Sep 2001 Zug, Switzerland 14 + 1 Legal guns, licensed pistol owner
29 Jul 1999 Atlanta, GA, USA 12 + 1 Legal guns, no licence required
20 Apr 1999 Littleton, CO, USA 13 + 2 Not legal guns
28 Apr 1996 Port Arthur, Australia 35 Legal guns*
13 Mar 1996 Dunblane, Scotland 17 + 1 Legal guns, pistol club member
16 Oct 1991 Killeen, TX, USA 23 + 1 Legal guns, no licence required
13 Nov 1990 Aramoana, New Zealand 13 + 1 Legal guns, licensed gun owner
18 Jun 1990 Jacksonville, FL, USA 9 + 1 Legal guns, no licence required
06 Dec 1989 Montreal, Canada 14 + 1 Legal guns, no licence required
19 Aug 1987 Hungerford, England 16 + 1 Legal guns, pistol club member
20 Aug 1986 Edmond, OK, USA 14 + 1 Legal guns, no licence required
18 Jul 1984 San Ysidro, CA, USA 21 + 1 Legal guns, no licence required
01 Aug 1966 Austin, TX, USA 16 + 1 Legal guns, no licence required

* Gunman had no gun licence and his possession and use of the guns was illegal

Philip Alpers, Harvard Injury Control Research Center, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA.

In a study of 65 high-profile multiple-victim shootings in the United States during 40 years, 62% of handgun shootings and 71% of long gun shootings were committed with legally acquired firearms

Meegz ? wrote:

Also, one of the magazines you get for being a member of the NRA, American Rifleman I believe is the name (I don't subscribe because I dislike some of the ways they do things in the NRA) but anyways, in the first couple pages of each issue of that they have 1-3 pages filled with stories of people around the U.S. defending their homes from armed attackers with legally owned firearms. Now, I don't know how often someone accidentally shoots someone else, but I know its usually on the news. I don't see that on the Indianapolis news very often. Dunno how it is for the rest of the country, but here it doesnt seem to be too rampant of a problem.

is it a daily issue, does it cover the double digit deaths a day?

Quote:
In 1999, there were 28,874 gun-related deaths in the United States - over 80 deaths every day. (Source: Hoyert DL, Arias E, Smith BL, Murphy SL, Kochanek, KD. Deaths: Final Data for 1999. National Vital Statistics Reports. 2001;49 (Cool.)

some more interesting research into it from america.
Quote:
In 1999, 58% of all gun deaths were suicides, and 38% were homicides. (SOURCE: Hoyert DL, Arias E, Smith BL, Murphy SL, Kochanek, KD. Deaths: Final Data for 1999. National Vital Statistics Reports. 2001;49 (Cool.)

Of all suicides, 57% occurred by firearm (SOURCE: http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/wisqars/default.htm, Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS), National Center for Injury Control and Prevention, accessed March, 2002.)

In 2000, 75,685 people (27/100,000) suffered non-fatal firearm gunshot injuries. (SOURCE: Federal Bureau of Investigation. Uniform Crime Reports for the United States: Crime in the United States 2000: Uniform Crime Reports. Washington, D.C: U.S. Department of Justice; 2001.)

Gun Deaths - International Comparisons
Gun Deaths - International Comparisons

Gun deaths per 100,000 population (for the year indicated):

Homicide Suicide Unintentional

USA 4.08 (1999) 6.08 (1999) 0.42 (1999)

Canada 0.54 (1999) 2.65 (1997) 0.15 (1997)

Switzerland 0.50 (1999) 5.78 (1998) -

Scotland 0.12 (1999) 0.27 (1999) -

England/Wales 0.12 (1999/00) 0.22 (1999) 0.01 (1999)

Japan 0.04* (1998) 0.04 (1995) <0.01 (1997)

* Homicide & attempted homicide by handgun
Meegz ?

39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject:  

I've never ever said that people with a purpose don't use guns. I said accidental deaths, which I believe was how the statement was posed the arguement. If not, then I appologize for mis-reading the post.

Also, why all the gun-death figures? I know that 80+ people die every day from guns in the U.S. The question is do you understand how much it pains me as someone who understands what a gun is supposed to be used for? I see that and it makes my gut clench, because people can't use common sense to see that using a gun is a last ditch effort to save your own life. There are few reasons to take life, one of them being to save another life, wether it be your own or someone elses.

This seems like you are attacking me because you don't like guns and I do. You aren't looking at or asking for my 'shades of grey' on the subject. If you can't look at something that changes from instance to instance, and accept that different outcomes might be better in those different instances, then stop arguing now, because it will get neither of us anywhere.

Hades

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject:  

Sorry never ment it as a personal attack at you. But I just wanted to relate my argument that gun restrictions do have results versus where guns are readily available.

The gun-death statistics was a direct response to what I percieved as a gun saves lives statement. In which alot of cases it may be true, but I believe in 90%+ of the time it destroy's lives rather than saves them. The positives are there, I just believe they are heavily outweighed by the negatives.

I would like to be enlightened on what a gun is supposed to be used for, to me I can think of quite a few non fatal oriented alternatives.

But hey, I didn't mean any offense. Lets agree to disagree on the subject. I just like to discuss these things every now and then Smile
No hard fealings?
Meegz ?

39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject:  

Of course, I just wasn't quite sure on what you were trying to say. No harm, no foul Smile

Quote:
The gun-death statistics was a direct response to what I percieved as a gun saves lives statement. In which alot of cases it may be true, but I believe in 90%+ of the time it destroy's lives rather than saves them.

Guns take life. That is the intention of ANY weapon. The important part is the reason those weapons are used.

ubermoose
LLD101 Staff

BNet Acct/Realm: Europe
3.49 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject:  

I understand most legally bought guns will never kill a person and i understand how law abiding gun users are pissed off at the "bad name" criminals bring to gun owners.

But how do you seperate the two? Is it better that everyone has guns and some are used to murder? Or that less people have guns and even less are used to murder?
Meegz ?

39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject:  

I see it is if less people have guns then it won't be the law abiding citizens who are owning them, it will be all the criminals who wont be in the midst of a booming black market of newly illegal guns
AmishSpeedGoat

BNet Acct/Realm: Yes
38.99 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject:  

waramp wrote:
just give everybody guns on their 8th birthday. problem solved. the weak and slow-on-the-draw will perish, the strong and Quick-Draw McGraw-like will take over. elections should be determined by a duel at 10 paces, not something as stupid as votes.

Waramp if ever you run for president of the world Im gonna vote for you Laughing.

Warrens world, lol, all bow down to the logic of waramp! Wink.
SoaringSquirrel

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject:  

Meegz ? wrote:
Alright...I said a bomb, and in some kitchens I could find what I would need to kill 30+ people.

Well, this would require a bit more intelligence and deliberation than merely getting pissed off and going on a rampage.

Of course, tragedies like this are bound to happen even in the absence of guns, but if we but more restrictions on them, making them more difficult and less desirable to possess (e.g. Dao's suggestion), it might go a ways to prevent at least some of these actions, no? And, in spite of the second amendment, increasing gun control would be less an impingement of our dearer civil liberties for a more immediate and concrete effect, wouldn't you agree?

Quote:
I see it is if less people have guns then it won't be the law abiding citizens who are owning them, it will be all the criminals who wont be in the midst of a booming black market of newly illegal guns

Criminals who generally don't go around shooting the fuck out of schools because they were bullied by those kids in high school.

But you do have a point. Should further gun control laws constrict their availability, it might be important to give a leeway for people who work in more dangerous jobs that are prone to violence and robberies. But does the possibility that more people will illegally wield firearms offset the preventative effects of increasing gun control.

Props to Mark Owens for the sig. My firstborn baby squirrel will be sacrificed in your honor. Wink
Vixen

BNet Acct/Realm: The 'Big Apple'
7.76 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject:  

Irritable Bowel Syndrome wrote:
It's not guns that need to be controlled, it's the people. As Hammurabi said "an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth" basically I think if someone murders someone, they should be executed as well. Eventually people will catch on, and if not then they don't deserve to live.

If someones willing to die to kill many people even if not for any particular reason I doubt that this will affect his decision.

The way I see it is this:

Guns = Revolution = America.
They won't go away, not in this lifetime and not in the next.

And personally, I don't think there should be anything close to a ban on guns.

"Vixen's also the name of a reindeer"
Page 3 of 3 [43 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: