LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:56 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
gun control
Page 1 of 3 [43 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject:  gun control  

since vtech. im hearing alot more (again) about if we had more "responsible" people with guns in public, this kinda thing wont really happen, and the innocent shall be saved more frequently..

how many people really think that alowing our society to have more guns in public would alter the level of order?

what would staples riots be like after lakers games?
what if that girl that brought a flail into school had a gun? and other classmates had guns?

edit,,,
dammit.. i never made a poll before i screwd it up

Last edited by Jerkazoid on Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:08 am; edited 2 times in total
oleo79

BNet Acct/Realm: USWest nonladder + ladder
4.16 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject:  

Well, the KEY is "responsible"

And who is to make that call? The government? You? Me? The individual purchasing the firearm?

The only thing that really matters is the morals and training and yes, responsiblity, of the individual holding the firearm. I was raised with all sorts of them, and learned a healthy respect for them and good "gun etiquette." I have never once even been tempted to direct one at another human being, or ever needed one to defend myself either. The chances of "needing" one for defense are fairly slim in my opinion; most confrontations can be avoided completely by an observant individual.

I am against so-called "gun control" because all it does it keep them out of the hands of the majority, and those who really want to do harm to their fellow man, will, with whatever is most convenient.
Don't think I am advocating having them lying around every home, and in every purse or glove box. It is up to us adults and responsible parents to teach our kids not only about respecting the firearms, but also other people.

I think the issues go much deeper than just trying to regulate guns. I think our society's job of parenting has gone completely to hell.

Mr_Bilson

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject:  

im not from america but to me it seens the problem isnt the amount of guns, its how easy it is to get one.

how does it work in america? seems like this kid got some guns way too easy Confused

Hades

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject:  

sooperman wrote:
im not from america but to me it seens the problem isnt the amount of guns, its how easy it is to get one.

how does it work in america? seems like this kid got some guns way too easy Confused

Yeah thats what I was thinking.. And i think gun control works to a degree. But it would be hard for america as its in your culture/rights from what it seems.

Other places I have been to have to resort to other weapons, ie. scissors, knifes, and this one occasion in australia a crossbow.. Now at least it's hard to conceal a crosbow and isn't extremely efficient at killing compared to a gun.

Altho then again, in other places they have shotgun/m16 carrying guards to a Mc.Donalds and bank robbers that use hand grenades first.
heprea
pokemon fanatic

BNet Acct/Realm: europe laddars
8.01 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject:  

well, imo guns should be banned but eh go ahead and try to do that, or ofc u can try it and make it go through but eh.. in the end even if it goes it dosnt do a thing(i think)

AmishSpeedGoat

BNet Acct/Realm: Yes
38.99 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject:  

To make it simple, crooks already can obtain guns and will use the to harm people. So if we put more guns out into the market, there we still be people killing each other, but atleast civilians can use something back.

Putting people on a gun restriction would be the stupidest thing in the world, because then the only people who will own the are cops and crooks.
zarc

BNet Acct/Realm: USEast NonLadder *fyarbeast USEast Ladder *fyarbeast1
-2.48 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject:  

i think how easy it is to own and obtain a gun isnt too easy. i do however feel that obtaining ammo is. The constitution give you the right to own a gun, however it does not give you the right to own ammo.

Hades

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject:  

Rhamax wrote:

Putting people on a gun restriction would be the stupidest thing in the world, because then the only people who will own the are cops and crooks.

Other than the fact that probably 80% of the developed world have these gun restrictions and appear to have alot less gun crime/fatalities I dont think it's a stupid idea, not even close to the most stupid idea in the world. I just don't think you cuold place restrictions on guns in america with any kind of ease. It would be like trying to make all of america drive on the other side of the road.. Ultimately possible, but probably much more hassel than any 4-8 year government would be willing to undertake.
AmishSpeedGoat

BNet Acct/Realm: Yes
38.99 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject:  

dsm-hades wrote:
Rhamax wrote:

Other than the fact that probably 80% of the developed world have these gun restrictions and appear to have alot less gun crime/fatalities I dont think it's a stupid idea, not even close to the most stupid idea in the world. I just don't think you cuold place restrictions on guns in america with any kind of ease. It would be like trying to make all of america drive on the other side of the road.. Ultimately possible, but probably much more hassel than any 4-8 year government would be willing to undertake.

Your also forgetting that the 20% are in civil wars, and in war you shoot each other. If you dont belive me, go down to africa.

Orly? So a crook will break the law by murdering someone with a gun, however, they wont break a law when it comes to trying to purchase one? You probobly dont understand just how easy it is to obtain a gun from the streets, even though its illegal. Give me a week and I could get a fully automatic/Semi automatic weapon and enough ammo to shoot some people up. If you put a law down saying people cannot own guns, you are only going to stop the people who obey the law and use them responsably in the first place, because if a crook is going to break the law by harming someone with a gun, you can pretty damn well bet that they are going to break the law to get one.

Its against the law to have crack, but it gets sneaked into the country, and guess who uses it? People who break the law. So if there is a gun ban, people will just sneak guns into the country. and you know who will use them? The people who break the law.

Your not stopping crime, your stopping two things. The peoples ability to fairly defend themselves and your taking away our rights. And like fu8ar said, if you want my gun, you will have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
Grim04

BNet Acct/Realm: Grim04/UWNL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject:  

Crack is made here for the most part, other drugs get sneaked in.

Unfortunately... Mega Moose is right. If I had enough money, I could get a semi automatic/fully automatic in a week if I wanted to. I could get a pistol/rifle today.
Hades

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject:  

When I say developed countries, I mean the first world countries. The 20% your talking about are certainly not under that title, and pehaps not even in the 3rd world/developing countries because those in africa in civil war are still basically stagnant if not degenerating. But that conversation is slightly off topic.

You probably miss read my arguments, I am saying Gun restrictions work in most civilised countries. So it does obviously work in reducing gun crime. In the 1st world countries I have lived in where there are gun restrictions, there isn't a state of anarchy where the hoodlums and crooks blast ever bystander because they dont have a gun. Sure there are exceptions like the odd person that goes abit crazy or some gangland warfare. But it's not remotely as comon because not everyone can get a gun, they arn't just in every 2nd household. You have to go out of your way to obtain them legally even more so illegaly. I would bet you it would take you twice as long to obtain a gun in the uk with a high chance of being busted by the police, and twice aslong again in Australia to purchase a gun with more of a chance of being caught by the fuzz.

But my point also encorporated the fact that doing this in america, would be very hard to do. It's part of your culture and its your 'right'. Hell if you could go out and buy an Rocket proppeled grenade launcher real easy on the streets illegaly, would it be wise to make it legal so every wise and law abiding citizen could 'fairly' defend themselves. If you say yes to this where would it stop, you could extrapolate this to a worldwide scale. Why can some countries posses nuclear weapons and others may not?

To me the arguement appears flawed and hypocritical.
But knowing that I wont change your mind, and the countless millions this is just a statement of my beliefs that gun restrictions would work, but I doubt we will see a functioning system for this in america in the next half century.
KnightXENO2

BNet Acct/Realm: West Ladder
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject:  

I think part of the cause is that their isn't alot of smuggling involved in illegal weapons. I'd hazard a guess that most of the weapons used in crimes are made in America. We are still #1 or #2 arms dealer in the world last I heard...

I think atleast one way gun laws decrease the amounts of guns used is because most illegal guns are STOLEN from rightful owners. The reason its so easy to buy a gun in certain areas? You can bet its not because of the plentiful smuggling, but because someone ripped off a gun store, or other robberies, etc. Of course, smuggling of weapons into the country occurs, but your common criminal doesn't have enough money or connections to get many of those.... but the same handguns that stay in circulation are quite plentiful.

Now all that said, I don't think gun-control is every going to happen in America in any meaningful way nor do I neccessarily think thats the right way to go. Just don't ever claim guncontrol doesn't work.... Its alot easier for the police atleast, when in other countries anyone seen with a gun is a criminal. While in the states, you have people with permits, normal hunting weapons, cops, security guards, etc all with guns legally.

Knifer

BNet Acct/Realm: Hawaii/Oregon
1.39 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject:  

the way i see it, if someone wants to go out and kill some people, there isnt much you can do about it. if you ban guns, which wont work anyway, theres always a way to either get them or find something else to use.

just think what would have happened if the VT guy used home bombs, dirty bombs, or any other types of explosives. with the classrooms of what, 30 people, it would have easily doubled the death toll. just saying if you want something in the states, you can most likely get it (except for a 20 max jewel), legal or not.

ubermoose
LLD101 Staff

BNet Acct/Realm: Europe
3.49 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject:  

Its easy to legally buy a gun and shoot someone.
Its less easy to get a gun illegally and shoot someone.
And its even less easy to blow people up with homemade bombs [where does he get the materials from? How can he test them without being caught? etc].

I wonder how many murders are committed with legally bought guns vs illegally obtained ones?
Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject:  

dsm-hades wrote:

Other places I have been to have to resort to other weapons, ie. scissors, knifes, and this one occasion in australia a crossbow.. Now at least it's hard to conceal a crosbow and isn't extremely efficient at killing compared to a gun.

Altho then again, in other places they have shotgun/m16 carrying guards to a Mc.Donalds and bank robbers that use hand grenades first.

i love the point you make..escalation
places where people have m16's in security guards.... and the "bad" people use grenades

so as you people say "bad people will still have guns, might as well give responsible people them to defend incase of a fire fight..."
in other words, more vigilance.

now 50 years from now we all have hand guns; new generation goes
"BAD PEOPLE WILL HAVE GRENADES ANYWAY we should have them too and practice preemption"
where does it stop? why? what gaurentee can liberal gun control give me that things wont escalate?

what if we could roll back..
the only thing someone could have is a board with a nail in it.... alot less killing capacity with those dont you think?

ah but then we would be open doors for china.. or martians.
better keep our nukes, better yet. a few more then the other guy.

Page 1 of 3 [43 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: