LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue May 28, 2024 11:18 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Proposal 2 PASSED?!
Page 1 of 6 [83 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Tridge

BNet Acct/Realm: NO WTO!
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject:  Proposal 2 PASSED?!  

Prop. 2, a bill that would change the Michigan State Constitution to provide that "the union of one man and one woman in marriage shall be the only agreement recognized as a marriage or similar union for any purpose." was passed by a slim margin yesterday. The Bill is now Law.

Thats one small step for the ultra-consevative Christian right wing, and one GIANT leap backwards for gay rights and the human race as a whole.

Coupled with Bush being re-elected, I AM SO FCUKING PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW.
Don't use your Book to write MY LAWS!

T_T
Pansy

BNet Acct/Realm: U.S. East NL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject:  

As I stated in one of the other threads here, the country is very politically polarized right now, and getting people back together under a Republican regime is going to take a very long time, if it's even possible (to be fair, Kerry possibly would have had a similar problem with the states that are Pro-Bush had he won Ohio). You aren't the only one who is upset that Bush got re-elected despite all the contradictions, bad military moves, and blatant favorances towards the rich that his administration has shown during his four years up to this point....yet half of the country still voted for him, so what can I say. Rolling Eyes

(/rant)
B[x]

BNet Acct/Realm: Retired
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject:  

we just had an hour 15 long debate in comp about the election. well, it wasn't really a debate, it was more of a "we're all pissed that bush got re-elected" talk. i can't remember the name of it but Clinton started this fund for college students to take loans out of so that they wouldn't have to take student loans out from banks who can charge whatever interest rates they wish. this fund would have a fixed low rate for the duration of the loan and it was a lot easier to get. since bush has been in office, he cut the funding to that loan by half. this means that many people cannot go to college because they cannot afford to pay the interest rates of banks. i'm going to be paying out of my ass for the student loans i'm taking out now and part of it is due to bush.
in all honesty, i'm seeing why a lot of people outside the US hate america. for one, our name is self centered, it's as if the rest of north america, central, as well as south america don't exist. if our name is the United States of America, shouldn't it include all the other countries in the Americas? outside of the US, a state is a country (germany is a state, italy is a state, etc.). so in other words, we're 50 states that is held together by one parent foundation, and held together loosely. the central government is getting losing it's grip on the power it has over the states. look at the way we vote - all of new york uses the lever machine where all of nevada (or some other state out west, i forget at the moment) uses all touch screen voting machines. there are several other ways of voting - electronically, paper and pin, etc. if it's a federal position you're voting on, shouldn't the way we vote be standardized? i mean, it's a federal matter, the way you vote shouldn't depend on what state or county or district you live in.
not only that, but the way school is taught is ridiculous. i'm talking about grammar school (K through 8), not college or even high school. up in the northeast, (we'll use multiplying as an example) multiplying is a second grade lesson where as in some parts of the south, you learn how to multiply in maybe the fourth or fifth grade. why is it that in some parts of the country, you can stock up on APs in high school and breeze through college in two years (if you want to) and in other parts, people who "graduate" high school have trouble with reading? the absurd majority of the schools that these undereducated people go to are underfunded and have different lesson plans to accommodate those that cannot complete the coursework. recently, congress passed the "no student left behind" act which has its good points, the idea behind it is pretty sound. the problem is that about 90% of the funding for that act is supposed to come from the states. unfortunately, the states simply cannot afford to pay for it. if it's a federal instated act, the federal government should back it and not dump the responsibility to pay for it on those who can't.
another thing is the national deficit. Clinton had balanced his budget and even produced a surplus to help pay back some of the existing deficit by the end of his second term. in the four years that bush has been in office, he's spent over $600 billion. 600 fucking billion!! he lends out money to struggling countries who have no hope of paying it back and when they can't, the people down at capitol hill look the other way. the US is like a bank who lends money without looking at current income, credit reports, or future outlooks. shit, you can't even get a car loan with the numbers that most countries have and yet we willingly give our money to them. yeah we're the richest countrie in the world and we should help out those who are less fortunate but there comes a point in time that you have to cut your losses and move on. if we keep this up, we're the ones that are going to be needing aid.
i'm not saying that i supported Kerry but i must say that he was the lesser of the evils.
fuck this, i'm moving in with Marie in Quebec.

note: i didn't register in time so i didn't vote though it doesn't matter because my county voted for Kerry.

/longest post i've ever made.

[Important Links]
Knarl
You're Doomed

BNet Acct/Realm: USWest NL: *IK_Knarl, *NewKnarl2
1.21 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject:  

It's funny how a lot of the hatred directed at Bush comes from the 18-25 year old range, yet the truth of the matter is, only 1 out of 9 or 10 (I forget the exact ratio) of the 18-25 year old range voted this election.

Yet they all like to bitch about Bush even though they didn't do a damn thing to try and be active in their democracy and vote.

xX_marie_Xx

BNet Acct/Realm: useast [nl] Montreal Canada
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject:  

B[x] wrote:

i'm not saying that i supported Kerry but i must say that he was the lesser of the evils.
fuck this, i'm moving in with Marie in Qubec

I agree Kerry was the lesser of two evils. And yay for quebec Very Happy

This election around though a lot more people voted than in the last election which was in the 40ish % while this election was 50-60ish %. As for people not voting, given the choices I dont blame them (although i would have voted Kerry) since I agree with b[x].
But yeah although kerry would have won there would of been bitching regardless. The thing that I find funny is that a huge percentage of the voting that went to bush was due to his religious affiliation. Not that im the anti christ but i am slightly unsettled when religion and politics become mixed together so much... Considering what started all this was an act Justified by religion i'd say its pretty ironic Shocked Another thing i find that sucks is the Patriot act! what a violation of privacy imo. what next.....cameras everywhere or tracking devices incerted into the body? (note the sarcasm/exageration here). Im just saying that where should people draw the line? starts with the patriot act and what will come next?

once again thank god im Canadian Very Happy but yeah even though I am Canadian, American elections do concern Canadians in many different ways i wont be getting into.

<<<<dont ya hate leetspeak
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
Koshi

BNet Acct/Realm: US East scnl, New Zealand
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject:  

Knarl wrote:
It's funny how a lot of the hatred directed at Bush comes from the 18-25 year old range, yet the truth of the matter is, only 1 out of 9 or 10 (I forget the exact ratio) of the 18-25 year old range voted this election.

Yet they all like to bitch about Bush even though they didn't do a damn thing to try and be active in their democracy and vote.

Id like to know where you got that statistic from please.

Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject:  

Knarl wrote:
It's funny how a lot of the hatred directed at Bush comes from the 18-25 year old range, yet the truth of the matter is, only 1 out of 9 or 10 (I forget the exact ratio) of the 18-25 year old range voted this election...

but to be fair,,, thats irrelevant the country has spoken,,,more importantly the electoral have spoken..

if kerry had atleast won the elecotral he could have been the illigitimate pres that bush was last term. its not really a democracy. its not 1 person 1 vote... public really wont matter when its close.

every 18-25 year old is not democratic.... i was comming out of a bar and college students were happy as pigs in crap... they love bush..
even if we had 100% voter turn out.. im sure 18-25 would have only reinforced "the margin" and it would still have been bush ahead by a few %

now i heard the same statastic and its not that unplausible.. i didnt vote. (but im 26) you may ask "why"

1) i dont wish to be a part of america. nor its politics
2) i hate the idea that i can choose the looser. big deal.. 1 vote 1 loss.. waste of my time and now i get summoned for Jury duty...
3) if the right person is gonna win,, there gonna win... if its close (public) its all up to the electoral anyway...

when i bitch its more of a "why america"
why dwas it close? why would so many people choose bush? ... and ultimatly theres alot of things i can do if things get
"bad" theres always other countries.. its really not the hard to leave america.. u can do it pretty easy.. u just leave...its not as hard as it seems

i used to be naive and really felt america made progress.. the proposition and bushs OPEN stance on gay marriage finally made me realize what it was about this country... and i think Marie is on to something

Last edited by Jerkazoid on Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChasingChickens

BNet Acct/Realm: *Chasingchickens, *LegendofRooster
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Proposal 2 PASSED?!  

Tridge wrote:

Don't use your Book to write MY LAWS!

Don't change my book to fit your lifestyle, you do realize that marriage came from the bible, correct? It is between a man and woman and has been like that since who knows when. Why are you opposed to a "union"? Why must it be marriage?

iso: 18 max/-15 req jewel
20+max damage jewels
3/ar/life scs
ed/max jewels
Standard LLD Currency (15 lifers, 15 maxers, SoJ's, Runes, etc etc)
Jerkazoid

4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject:  

marriage existed before jesus.. but i get what your saying

ultimatly imo..its more of a tax thing.... but the religious aspect is just better for demagoguery

Last edited by Jerkazoid on Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
ChasingChickens

BNet Acct/Realm: *Chasingchickens, *LegendofRooster
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject:  

Yes it did, but what book do they use in marriages? Where are marriages typically held? Who typically performs the marriage?

iso: 18 max/-15 req jewel
20+max damage jewels
3/ar/life scs
ed/max jewels
Standard LLD Currency (15 lifers, 15 maxers, SoJ's, Runes, etc etc)
Jerkazoid

4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject:  

the court can marry you.. its law.

law and religon, dangerous politics imo

zoe_lldgod

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject:  

The Bible doesn't start with Jesus. Also, I heard the same info Knarl gave from CNN today during class. By the way, we don't use the Book for our laws. And if you don't wish to live in America, why don't you leave? No one's stopping you. There's no government agency making people stay. Just go. Simple as that.
Jerkazoid

4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject:  

zoe_lldgod wrote:
we don't use the Book for our laws.

and yet the argument about marriage quacks like a duck.

and u hit the nail on the head.. my mid life goal is to be able to say de-immigrate.. to finally leave... soon. australia or canada.. one of the two in time.

B[x]

BNet Acct/Realm: Retired
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject:  

Koshi wrote:
Knarl wrote:

Id like to know where you got that statistic from please.

yeah, that statistic was in the paper, it came up in my comp class today as well.

religion and politics shouldn't mix, that's the purpose of separation of church and state.
abortion: i'm pro abortion, as long as you get it done in the first trimester. i mean, if you want to get it aborted, you have time; if you wait till after the first trimester, stick it out.
gay marriage: gay? lesbian? found someone that you love? go for it! who am i to get in your way? like jerkazoid said, marriage is ordained by law, not the bible. it's like the government molded a legal and binding marriage after the bible but it holds no religious weight (legally). i mean, if you say that gays can't marry because the bible says "man and woman", do you also mean that atheists can't marry because they don't believe in God or the bible?

the problem with separation of church and state is where do you draw the line? who says we shouldn't kill people? your god or religion tells you that you shouldn't. what would have happened if the founding fathers were atheists or if their religion didn't prohibit killing? would we still have laws that punished us for it? it's all based on your perspective - terrorists are seens as martyrs when they commit suicide to "benefit their people". most of the laws today are based on or derived from Christianity (or maybe Protestant, i'm not good with religions). Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not steal. sound familiar? the penalty for stealing or killing is jail time (depending where you live) in the real world. the penalty for committing a mortal sin is eternity in hell (once again, i'm not good with religion so i could be wrong). it seems the real world is like the afterlife with half the carbs - same great taste, half the punishment.

[Important Links]

Last edited by B[x] on Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
2fat

BNet Acct/Realm: *Haas_
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject:  

i think the whole mariage deal is upo the actual definition of mariage- union betweeen man and woman
i ngot nuthin against lettin the fruities be together n all
but the actual "mariage" aspect...i dunno about

Page 1 of 6 [83 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: