LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:45 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion
Skill > Gear
Page 1 of 3 [39 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
wfg-dude

BNet Acct/Realm: Long Beach, CA
158.70 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject:  Skill > Gear
Subject description: Post your thoughts

Last night I dueled Jem and Drew with around 5 different chars and got my ass handed to me for the most part! I did win a few but mostly just died a lot.

Now, my gear is easily 2-3 x better than theirs! Spending months and tons of fg/currency trading/farming for horrible perfect gear. Many of my duelers are nearly perfect with gear. And yet, when it is all said and done... it all boils down to skill. Skilled duelers can use average gear and do very well... or noobs like me can use perfect gear and get owned.

So, wondering what your thoughts are on skill vs. gear. Why work so hard perfecting gear when perfecting skills should be more important.

I hate to admit that I suck so badly especially since I spend so much time perfecting them! Sad

I guess I had more fun building than I did using them Shocked

Off to practice Very Happy

Cool Sweet Justice IMHO!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject:  

Depends on the duel - melee for the most part is all about gear, whereas in ranged/open, skill usually takes precedent.

I've found I have better success practicing on my chars and learning the nuances of the build instead of trying to upgrade every last detail.

yarly
krajee

9.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Skill > Gear
Subject description: Post your thoughts

wfg-dude wrote:
Last night I dueled Jem and Drew with around 5 different chars and got my ass handed to me for the most part! I did win a few but mostly just died a lot.
hey, you forgot this afternoon with me.

wfg-dude wrote:
So, wondering what your thoughts are on skill vs. gear.
I think that the term "skill" can be applied to multiple areas of the game, not just the "clicking in the blood moor" part. Remember when we did some NvNvN? I swapped out my usualy setup for a lower damage higher mana setup - I define that as a form of skill. I know that with my usual, 600mana/800dmg setup, I'll need to switch to insight quite often during the duel, which will drop my damage down to ~350 or so. With my 900mana/~600dmg setup, I never have to switch to my insight because my mana will naturally regenerate at a faster rate and my spear/spirit costs less mana per cast.

Of course, everyone has their own different style of playing, which brings me to my next point - insight. Taking the above NvNvN example, when "he" (for now, assuming he doesn't want me to tell others how he duels) would switch to insight, he'd spam a bunch. I could tell each and every time he had his insight out, whether it was by analyzing how he was moving and casting, listening to the aura sound, or seeing the aura at his feet. I call that another form of skill, which branches off into something else - if I did happen to switch to my insight, I'd continue with the same dueling style as if I had my weapon/shield out just so you'd have no idea how much damage each projectile would do, and if you could "take a chance" or not.

Being able to analyze your opponent is an amazing skill to have. A lot of people have "tells" for when they're laying low to replenish their life, for when they are regenerating their mana, or when they're just about to attack. With this ability, you should be able to change your play style to give yourself the slightest edge. Keep in mind that some people (me, for one) will fake these "tells" to try to get you to do what they want you to do.

There's also the "skill" that determines how well you move your character around in the blood moor. This would be how well you can control the duel and also how well you can keep your opponent from controlling the duel. For all of those that know me, this is the reason why I say I have no skill, or "suck". I've only ever dueled two people who could control the duel from start to finish, and I wouldn't have a chance even if I had a 50%life handicap.

wfg-dude wrote:
Why work so hard perfecting gear when perfecting skills should be more important.
vlld.

wfg-dude wrote:
I guess I had more fun building than I did using them Shocked
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I almost never duel now, but I still attempt to improve my characters for my enjoyment.

wfg-dude wrote:
Off to practice Very Happy
I'm on very rarely now, but I'd be happy to get some more duels in.
Waramp

0.59 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject:  

ping > skill > gear

wfg-dude wrote:
I hate to admit that I suck so badly especially since I spend so much time perfecting them! Sad

you saw the gear on my blizz sorc, and im the first to admit that im a lousy dueler (shitty internet doesnt help...) but having godly gear helps to compensate for that

http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showuser=246043
Hong10

BNet Acct/Realm: *QuatroFun *HeLOL / East SC NL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject:  

I noticed the % of need of skill increases together with lvl, like on my vlld is pretty much clicking, timing and calculating the tiger strike charges damage. On my lamedin its involved alot more movement around blood moor and also choosing up which skill to use, dodging attacks etc...

From my old DOTA records, knowing which setup to use against xxx char is called MACRO, and movementing/clicking the char itself its MICRO. and er.. why am i talking about dota? Embarassed

Well i'm pretty much new to LLD and have alot of stuff to learn, maybe that's why i chose vlld to start with.

eAr_gOd

BNet Acct/Realm: E/SCL: eAr_god, eAr_DeViL, ear_ections (shared)
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject:  

people say melee is all about gear.. but I think thats only half of the story. The other half is the build- I know I analyze every possible setup with a bunch of different calculations before I commit. I've been able to beat a lot of "more expensive" melees because of a superior build setup.
On the other hand, you have noobs that hoarde every single expensive jewel/charm, only to waste them by not knowing what to do with them. I've seen a "1000fg vlld" who used 3 str large charms mixed with his expensive gear. I won't say any names, but there are a few lurking on this site Smile.

Necropantser: Lvl 9 Summoner/Sacrifice hybrid necro
ObiWanShinobi: Lvl 9 TS assassin

Always looking for gear upgrades, particularly 15life Scs with lightning damage or mana, and defiance/zeal war sceptors.
latto

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject:  

Waramp wrote:

you saw the gear on my blizz sorc, and im the first to admit that im a lousy dueler (shitty internet doesnt help...) but having godly gear helps to compensate for that

ya waramp you do suck... mighty slow cause of your internet I guess
jk you do fine Very Happy
Mimes

BNet Acct/Realm: e/sc/l Mimes., Mimes-LLD, Justin27 and 1338
34.96 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject:  

i think that skill and gear are both almost =. if someones gear is a LOT better then your you chances drop dramatically. BUT if your a better dueler then them, you still have a chance to win.

in duels such as zealer vs zealer duels(say lvl 1Cool skill has very little to do with the duel, as gear decides dmg and CTH and such.

while in a duel such as sorc vs sorc (blizz or fb...very few GOOD light sorcys out there) it comes down to skill. if your a better dueler then they are, but they have better gear, you will win more often, as long as you have at least decent gear.
wfg-dude

158.70 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject:  

Mimes wrote:
i think that skill and gear are both almost =. if someones gear is a LOT better then your you chances drop dramatically. BUT if your a better dueler then them, you still have a chance to win.

in duels such as zealot vs zealot duels(say lvl 1Cool skill has very little to do with the duel, as gear decides dmg and CTH and such.

while in a duel such as sorc vs sorc (blizz or fb...very few GOOD light sorcys out there) it comes down to skill. if your a better dueler then they are, but they have better gear, you will win more often, as long as you have at least decent gear.
As eargod noted tho... build plays a good part until both parties know how to build. For instance, my 2nd or 3rd version of my zealot had zeal maxed instead of sac. when I figured out that little "quirk" that made him quite a bit better that catapulted me toward the top of the ranks on arena. Took me 3 builds to figure out the gear/build before I got it right the 4th time. Now my zealot gear is perfect (99% ) perfect... but I still lose due to the randomness of zeal duels... especially when they include cleg swords and ds strikes LOL.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
Grim04

BNet Acct/Realm: Grim04/UWNL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject:  

What chars did Imp and Drew use?\

Alot of chars are just better than other chars.

I'm surprised you lost, since I've beaten most of their chars with my cleric (all except ele druid [cyclone > foh]).
Wank

BNet Acct/Realm: Imp StormsRaider
57.98 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject:  

It wasn't Drew, it was me. Sheesh Sad .

Anyways, we dueled using Fog, Snap, Yank, and a few 18 duels. We were going to ss vs ss but never go around to it.

Quote:
I'm surprised you lost, since I've beaten most of their chars with my cleric (all except ele druid [cyclone > foh]).

He said skill, theres no skill in charging a bower all game. Even 10 dmg after 4 mins adds up.

Our NvNvN was fun... but krajee changed up what he used to do, really messes with my style Sad. I'll catch onto it in 20 duels !

Quote:
I've only ever dueled two people who could control the duel from start to finish, and I wouldn't have a chance even if I had a 50%life handicap.

I know one of them is ehhh, but I can't figure out the other person. Ehhh is scary though...

Equipped Lvl 30's:
Froggy-Leap Attacker, Vidala- Bow, Starly-Wind, Haunter-Bonenec, Dragonair-Fissure, Vileplume-Psn Jav, Clefairy- Wc

http://img104.imagevenue.com/loc1100/th_30982_ImpAvatar_122_1100lo.jpg(didnt want to lose that link Surprised
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject:  

eAr_gOd wrote:
people say melee is all about gear.. but I think thats only half of the story. The other half is the build- I know I analyze every possible setup with a bunch of different calculations before I commit. I've been able to beat a lot of "more expensive" melees because of a superior build setup.
On the other hand, you have noobs that hoarde every single expensive jewel/charm, only to waste them by not knowing what to do with them. I've seen a "1000fg vlld" who used 3 str large charms mixed with his expensive gear. I won't say any names, but there are a few lurking on this site Smile.

ear raises a good point that should be expanded - obviously build concept is a large part of it, especially for his level 15 BlueMoon which can beat pretty much all level 18 melees.

I can relate a story from NvN (level 18 ) yesterday. I built my spearnec mainly to hold the extra lifers and caster gear that I didn't want to go to waste. Now, pretty much every spearnec I've seen hits the 75 FCR BP and has about 400 life than mine (I use mana GC's for the most part).

But, when I was planning my build, I figured that the 75 FCR BP was overkill. I opted instead for dual Manalds on my build, giving me a slower casting BP but giving me an extra 16 life rep and awesome mana regen. I also use a rare Nec head with dual Eth runes (as opposed to Eld runes, which everyone seems to use on their Nec for blocking). Basically, my Necro is guaranteed to have more Life Rep and significantly better mana regen than any other Necro.

Because my mana pool holds up so well, I can spam Teeth during the duels to position my opponent exactly where I want him to go. The only way to avoid Teeth is to run backwards in a straight line - making you an easy target for Bone Spear.

Having Teeth as a viable option meant that I could send my opponent straight backwards whenever I felt like it - not only making it easier to hit him with Bone Spears, but also preventing him from attacking me, thus allowing me to regen. Even though my nec's stats are worse than my opponent's, the fine-tuning with the build gave me a huge advantage in the duel.

yarly
Chewie

BNet Acct/Realm: AWOL
16.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject:  

I'm pretty sure I have the worst nec stats-wise, but I'm confident I can beat almost anyone NvN.

wfg-dude

158.70 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject:  

Chewie wrote:
I'm pretty sure I have the worst nec stats-wise, but I'm confident I can beat almost anyone NvN.
Well, true... however assuming your opponent is equally skilled then gear will be your demise in every duel. I need to play my nec more... he is fun and I need to learn how to use him effectively. If I developed the skill needed I'd be arguably better than Knarl ever was cuz my gear is better than his ever was. He was something sick like 5 time champ to the point where no one entered his category knowing he would win.

the only category that I wouldn't want equally matched skilled opponents wuld be H v H. Can you imagine someone decent enough to duel Ehhh? The duels would last for HOURS with no one winning EVAR!

Waramp

0.59 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject:  

i wish i kept my sorc alive to duel ehhh, just to see how badly i get raped

http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showuser=246043
Page 1 of 3 [39 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion
Jump to: