LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:41 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion
smite not melee
Page 1 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
LiveChaldean

BNet Acct/Realm: livechaldean and deeks
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject:  smite not melee  

alright i was dueling against a couple of people who were llder's adn they kept telling me my smite wasnt melee is was caster...??

im confused

ISO: permed sojs and HR's
SoaringSquirrel

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject:  

To some people, melee attacks must be an attack that is AR dependent, requires you to be next to the person, and executed while not moving. So CS, WW, and Smite are all excluded.

It's a skill, but I wouldn't call it a caster skill, and certainly not a ranged. It's more of an in-between, like the bridge between melee and ranged, so I'd say LLD101's "Open" category is the best way to consider it.

At the LLD level, though, smite is still quite close to the other melee skills, so I don't see a problem with sticking it in as a competitor with the other LLD melees, but at higher levels, especially since the addition of Grief, it becomes quite apparent that it doesn't belong in the same bracket as other melees.

Props to Mark Owens for the sig. My firstborn baby squirrel will be sacrificed in your honor. Wink
Wank

BNet Acct/Realm: Imp StormsRaider
57.98 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject:  

Casting and smiting are 2 different things. And ww isnt a cast cause it does take ar. CS and Smite are in their own category. Only people who don't like smiters can't beat smiters. And i don't believe its ranged cause u have to be near them. It is a "bridge between them though" but most ranged attks have AR so it's hard to say that. Bottom line they are... Non ar melee attks. Razz

Equipped Lvl 30's:
Froggy-Leap Attacker, Vidala- Bow, Starly-Wind, Haunter-Bonenec, Dragonair-Fissure, Vileplume-Psn Jav, Clefairy- Wc

http://img104.imagevenue.com/loc1100/th_30982_ImpAvatar_122_1100lo.jpg(didnt want to lose that link Surprised
Inexorable

BNet Acct/Realm: TheSupplier, Cancerofdabowel
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject:  

oD-Imp wrote:
Casting and smiting are 2 different things. And ww isnt a cast cause it does take ar. CS and Smite are in their own category. Only people who don't like smiters can't beat smiters. And i don't believe its ranged cause u have to be near them. It is a "bridge between them though" but most ranged attks have AR so it's hard to say that. Bottom line they are... Non ar melee attks. Razz

1. Whirlwind is an Area-effect skill that is executed along with movement.

2. The main damaging part of Charged Strike does NOT require AR for it to hit, as the charged bolts are considered magic attacks and therefore automatically hit and cannot be blocked. Sure, the physical part of the javelin hitting requires AR, but since when was the actual damage on the javelin used for killing when it comes to CS?

3. Smite's in the same boat as CS in this case, only it's harder to resist the damage.

And oD-Imp, as far as the "Only people who don't like smiters can't beat smiters." line.. that's baseless bullshit. I dislike smiters and do not think that they should be considered Melee, but oh look! I've beaten the best 28 smiter I've ever seen not once, but TWICE with my 29 zealot.

Knarl wrote:
Inexorable beat LittleKnarl, 4-3. Grumble grumble. My poor smiter.

Knarl wrote:
4-3 for inexorable again in melee. 10 life...pssh.

If you cannot take the heat....
Hades

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject:  

Smite I think is well capped at lvl 28 as at lvl 29 it completely dominates anyform of lld melee unless they are stacking lots of -dr gear. Altho I myself wouldn't class smite as melee it's the best category it will fit into as it is not ranged nor caster. In public duels it shouldn't matter, if they dont want to duel you because your not *melee* take it on the chin and kill some high lvls. Thats what I enjoy about smiters, they are quite easy/cheap to make into good killing machines for high lvl'd public dueling chars, especially for ladder players.
kouky

BNet Acct/Realm: *kouky or *xxkoukyxx
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject:  

big controversy between this. just considered a caster attack since yah, it takes no ar, but skills like it and cs are in their category on their own like oD-pimp said, but i disagree that people who dont like smiters cant beat them, because people can kill them, but they become a pain in the ass when no matter what they hit. best solution, build 2 chars. one that uses ar, and a smiter. then you won't have a problem with this. in the cae of ww, some poeple don't consider it to be a melee attack because it involves moving away or into someone, while swinging multiple times and inuno just big controvresy between the game. some people ok with it, some not. thus, make back-up cahrs to deal wit hit.
Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject:  

we go over this so much

my 29 kicker has NO problem with a 28 smiter whatsoever.... But this doesnt mean smite belongs in the same melee catagory as conc barbs and zealots.

the definitions have to do only with the world of Diablo and the nature of its mechanics. NOT WEBSTER, or any real world based ideology. this is why people will say smite is not melee, it just doesnt belong in the same field for the sake of fair balance.

when a mediocre 30 smiter declares PWNAGE!! over some decent 30 conc barb i dont clap ,, not for a second. bravo- the person took advanatge of the games inbalance.

basic facts

smite is an Unblockable, Non AR needed attack that knocksback (wich is a form of stun)

WW is an AoE, Uniteruptible, Multi hitting, Moving attack (imagine if zealots could walk away from you while zealing???)

CS is an unblockable, Non AR depenedant, Semi-aoe attack

and it wasnt mentioned but YES; charge is an insanely HIGH DMG, MOVING attack that knocksback (wich is a form of stun, and thus can lock opponents) its used with a guerilla tactic, sniping your opponent and not giving them a chance to melee in return.. it too crosses lines of fairness and this is why its the overused PK build

classifying these attacks with other melee skills that lack the same intrinsic properties creates inbalance. and rather then just have a level playing field of ONLY WW, CS, SMITE AND CHARGE (wich is all hld "melee" is mostly right?) lld101 9-30 wanted to have zealots, sacers',conc barbs, kickers,, druid melee etc...

its not that the lld101 rules hasnt done it job to assit balance (smiters at 28 for instance) but be mindfull of these inherint strengths the skills offer the build.
Hellfireclanx

11.73 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject:  

would you also classify leap attack and dragon flight as non melee? like charge leap attack doesn't work if you are right next to the person, and it has knockback.

breakbeatz2
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject:  

Quote:
the definitions have to do only with the world of Diablo and the nature of its mechanics. NOT WEBSTER, or any real world based ideology.

AGREED!. I'm sick of people claiming WW is balanced with zeal because of the dictionary's definition!

Anyway, it doesn't affect me much, because I'll duel WW barbs with me melee druid anyway. I'll lose every time but I'll still duel em.
Ehhh

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject:  

I'm sick of people categorizing ww/smite/cs as caster attacks, just because they're unbalanced. They're melee, as they require you to be in range.

I'm not saying they're balanced, since they aren't. But they sure as hell are melee. Iron maiden them and you will see. Why do definitions of words change for a game? Melee is melee whether you like it or not.
Jerkazoid

4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject:  

i do beileve Berserk does not adhere to the iron maiden theory. would this mean bersker is not melee? [rhetorical bc its close hand-to-hand and must be "melee"] ok so thats 1 small hole so far

websters definition have little to do with the game since the game is lax about using real world definitions [in diablo, unique items are not unique.] ok so thats logic hole #2

Diablos game data has 3 labels for attacks as thus;
melee,
missle(or was it range?)
special.

as RTB pointed out once; WW is under the "special" catagorey by blizzard themselves. So theres another hole in our logic (3)
ww utilizes more range by making the barb a projectile, same with charge. add to that nature the huge dmg, or aoe, or knowckback, or fast spammable nature.. etc... we know why its popular and why these skills are powerfull.

CS is a combo of a melee with missles and technically we know it can be farcasted (small hole). As for the other two, i dont know bc i dont read the code myself. but its the combonations of advantages that make these skills "outsiders"

"melee" or "range" is really only about the catagories for lld101, not a semantics argument.

technically there is always an element of range in the game at all times anyway. To make things clear ill use more diablo lingo
Diablo has whats called "RANGE" on EVERY weapon, including a fist.
starting with 1 and ending with 5. a range 5 pike is too far away from ones fist in the game, but is still melee?

what about a range 6 what if there was range 10 or 20? what if i could swing a tree 40 feet long? its still in my hand and would still reflect dmg from iron maiden right? but its range. [so this is a 4th hole in our perception and logic]

dragon talon(edit; excuse me dragon Flight) is a combo as well and is considered a pure range attack imo, however it lacks any major advanatge considering there is
1) cool down, not spammable like charge
2) low dmg for a 1 hit wonder. (pathitic u might say in comparison to charge)
3) Ar dependant , unlike smite
4) a single hit without AOE unlike ww or CS

pretty much its teleport ...with a single chance for a small amount of blockable dmg. It can be avoided by moving south anyway, its really only a tactical moving skill not much of an attack.

and just think about it,, its NOT over powered in the melee catagory so it stays in.
leap atack also lacks multiple major advantages , its slow unlike charge (easily avoidable), it doesnt have HUGE dmg, it doesnt hit multiple times, or have an AOE and requires AR.

cs,smite,ww, and charge are not to be classified as "melee" in relation to the other melee skills. (this is the main reason why things make no sense sometimes, lld101 arbitrarly made lld101 rules based on expeirence not definitions)

This is not a semantics argument.
this is the world of diablo and lld101's role in catagories for balanced LLD play

Last edited by Jerkazoid on Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ehhh

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject:  

Jerkazoid wrote:
i do beileve Berserk does not adhere to the iron maiden theory. would this mean bersker is not melee? [rhetorical bc its close hand-to-hand and must be "melee"] ok so thats 1 small hole so far

websters definition have little to do with the game since the game is lax about using real world definitions [in diablo, unique items are not unique.] ok so thats logic hole #2

Diablos game data has 3 labels for attacks as thus;
melee,
missle(or was it range?)
special.

as RTB pointed out once; WW is under the "special" catagorey by blizzard themselves. So theres another hole in our logic (3)
ww utilizes more range by making the barb a projectile, same with charge. add to that nature the huge dmg, or aoe, or knowckback, or fast spammable nature.. etc... we know why its popular and why these skills are powerfull.

CS is a combo of a melee with missles and technically we know it can be farcasted (small hole). As for the other two, i dont know bc i dont read the code myself. but its the combonations of advantages that make these skills "outsiders"

"melee" or "range" is really only about the catagories for lld101, not a semantics argument.

technically there is always an element of range in the game at all times anyway. To make things clear ill use more diablo lingo
Diablo has whats called "RANGE" on EVERY weapon, including a fist.
starting with 1 and ending with 5. a range 5 pike is too far away from ones fist in the game, but is still melee?

what about a range 6 what if there was range 10 or 20? what if i could swing a tree 40 feet long? its still in my hand and would still reflect dmg from iron maiden right? but its range. [so this is a 4th hole in our perception and logic]

dragon talon is a combo as well and is considered a pure range attack imo, however it lacks any major advanatge considering there is
1) cool down, not spammable like charge
2) low dmg for a 1 hit wonder. (pathitic u might say in comparison to charge)
3) Ar dependant , unlike smite
4) a single hit without AOE unlike ww or CS

pretty much its teleport ...with a single chance for a small amount of blockable dmg. It can be avoided by moving south anyway, its really only a tactical moving skill not much of an attack.

and just think about it,, its NOT over powered in the melee catagory so it stays in.
leap atack also lacks multiple major advantages , its slow unlike charge (easily avoidable), it doesnt have HUGE dmg, it doesnt hit multiple times, or have an AOE and requires AR.

cs,smite,ww, and charge are not to be classified as "melee" in relation to the other melee skills. (this is the main reason why things make no sense sometimes, lld101 arbitrarly made lld101 rules based on expeirence not definitions)

This is not a semantics argument.
this is the world of diablo and lld101's role in catagories for balanced LLD play

Actually, if you zerk while IM'd you will see the little thorn animation, you just don't take any damage because you don't deal any physical damage. Toss that argument in the trash thanks.

WW may be under a "special" category, but it can only be done with a weapon with a melee range (i.e. not a bow).

Farcast is a bug.

I'm not sure what you're saying about weapon range...but if it's held in your hand and used to hit something while remaining in your hand, that is melee. Sure if you could swing a range 40 tree trunk at someone, it's melee in my book. Don't see how that one is ranged/projectile (key word) unless you're throwing the tree.

Dtalon is ranged? Maybe you mean dflight, but that's still melee in my book. Are you saying characters who teleport and attack are not using melee attacks anymore (telezerk or tele+dtalon for example)?

The thread starter was talking about some pub, not lld101 rules, so it sort of is just an argument over semantics. Usually people in pubs make excuses for losing and complain. By all means put smite/ww/cs/charge into another category for rule purposes, but please stop saying they aren't melee. Call it enhanced melee or something. They definitely aren't casters...
Hellfireclanx

11.73 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject:  

Who ever suggested cs/charge/smite/ww are casters? Bowzons aren't casters either, doesn't mean they are melee. cs/smite/ww/charge are not melee for the reasons jerk said, they are considered ranged attacks. because cs/smite lack of ar, they are no more melee than guided is. Charge/ww move to attack (in other words you do not charge/ww while standing next to them... you have to attack from a distance thus it is a ranged attack)

Quote:
WW may be under a "special" category, but it can only be done with a weapon with a melee range (i.e. not a bow).

you can use fury on a druid with a bow, guess it's not melee Laughing

Ehhh

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject:  

Hellfireclanx wrote:
Who ever suggested cs/charge/smite/ww are casters? Bowzons aren't casters either, doesn't mean they are melee. cs/smite/ww/charge are not melee for the reasons jerk said, they are considered ranged attacks. because cs/smite lack of ar, they are no more melee than guided is. Charge/ww move to attack (in other words you do not charge/ww while standing next to them... you have to attack from a distance thus it is a ranged attack)

Quote:

you can use fury on a druid with a bow, guess it's not melee Laughing

Ok, my definition of a melee attack is when you hit something with whatever you are holding. Not throwing or shooting. Guided arrow is a projectile. CS, Charge, Smite, WW all deal damage at melee range.

Do you see the werewolf druid shooting arrows while he attacks? Didn't think so. My guess is that he is using the bow to smack whatever, and yes hitting something with the bow in your hand is melee. I don't remember if that bypasses IM, but that's just because it's game code and not common sense.

Like I said, rules are one thing, but to say that these things are not melee by definition is ridiculous and stupid.
Jerkazoid

4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject:  

ok lets make sure we are not getting nasty with eachother though.. (but i do love good strong arguments and debates)

Quote:
but please stop saying they aren't melee. Call it enhanced melee or something. They definitely aren't casters...

well i doubt u directed this 100% at me.. but i dont define them as casters, and i never said they are not melee here...
i catagorize them with range.

a shifted druid..... quirky but again its all about what blizzard decides, and ww is apperently neither melee nor missle to them

cs is a combo melee + missle
charge does logically turn the pala into a missle in relation to the speed of arrows and such,, ww to a slower degree but it has other advantages.

Iron maiden indeed only reflects physcal dmg. Another counter argument against zerk would be that Berserk still gains dmg from "attacker takes damage" and missles ofcourse do not. (yes im actually defending Ehhs argument here) interestingly enough Iron maidens skill is very ambigous; "....causing them to damage themselves as they damage others" So taking blizzards word for things certainly stretchs logic as i am doing

Farcast is a feature of delay (i beileve) between server/client;
bug is just another word for it as well, (semantics)

blade shield is another oddity that doesnt fit with the hand-held idea. It may be a close proximity but its not a hand-held weapon, weapon dmg Xfers, but it cant be defined as melee right? but is it catagorized with melee?

dflight (yes df not dt opps) as i mentioned, is really more used as teleportation (anti-sorceress by design). The attack portion is superfulous and limits its range to target locations (instead of self shadow teleporting wich i thought was disabled) its not really an attack imo... and besides using two skills (tele + zerk) is not a single skill obviously.

what im saying about range.

range is always a factor anyway. theres little basis for an argument. "this is in my hand, that is not" makes little difference bc here at lld101 its all about if the character has a chance to fight with the other (lld101 balance)

a charger tackles casters well bc its a balanced range-combating skill with its mechanics, but the weapon never leaves it hands. technically by webster its a hand-to-hand close proximty melee, but its not in that catagorey bc of the way it work in the game.

sure blizzard tried to adhere to reality, and then they also broke alot of it, it is a ficticious game. trying to define its terms with real world is just as weird as ignoring the real worlds definitions.

Ehhh wrote:

The thread starter was talking about some pub, not lld101 rules, so it sort of is just an argument over semantics.

fair enough..

....but i didnt see LiveChaldean actual mention this.
thus my lld101 stance on this matter will be the only one i display [atm] and ill try to stay out of any semantics argument bc such is not my best subject
Page 1 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion
Jump to: