LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue May 28, 2024 9:02 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Really random question..
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]  
Spazz
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

BNet Acct/Realm: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada.
0.15 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject:  Really random question..  

What is the actual name of this:

You know when you stub your toe and you can think "Oh shit, this is gona hurt any milisecond no no no no!!!" and you can feel the surge of "calm before the storm" kinda thing followed by the burst of *OUCH*...

I don't know if anyone knows what I mean, but go stub your toe if you don't. I hope this retarded question doesn't make me look.. retarded.. again.

Account: -=-Spazz-=-
Realm: USEast
Characters:
Carousel - 57 Trap Assassin MLD

Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject:  

it happens when i bonk my skull or get hit in the shin.. quick pain.. but then it oozes more and more ouch... untill your on the floor rubbing it for some reason,, as if that makes it go away....... and then one of your friends goes "RUB IT!!!!" all sarcastic... and it doesnt help bc your in freaking pain and not in the mood to laugh..... Embarassed

AntiTyrant

BNet Acct/Realm: USEast - NL *kracked
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Really random question..  

I think its just thought... i don't really think there is a name for it... not that i know of anyway.

10 cool points to DnB for the Sig! thanks
Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Really random question..  

Spazz wrote:
What is the actual name of this:

You know when you stub your toe and you can think "Oh shit, this is gona hurt any milisecond no no no no!!!" and you can feel the surge of "calm before the storm" kinda thing followed by the burst of *OUCH*...

I don't know if anyone knows what I mean, but go stub your toe if you don't. I hope this retarded question doesn't make me look.. retarded.. again.

Not sure there's a scientific definition for the phenomenon, but it occurs when your brain works a millisecond faster than your nerve impulses. As the pain command travels from your toe to your brain and gets figured out, there can be a brief moment of "shock" where you don't feel the sensation. But since the injury is so minor, the shock fades fast... and ouch.

It might be related to actual shock, wherein you suffer a trauma but don't feel the pain until some time later. (Like the person who is shot but doesn't notice it until later when the adrenaline wears off and the danger he was in passes.)

- Dr. Dao

(I'm not a Doctor, but I play one on a D2 website!)

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
lld_wanabee

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject:  

Jerkazoid wrote:
it happens when i bonk my skull or get hit in the shin.. quick pain.. but then it oozes more and more ouch... untill your on the floor rubbing it for some reason,, as if that makes it go away....... and then one of your friends goes "RUB IT!!!!" all sarcastic... and it doesnt help bc your in freaking pain and not in the mood to laugh..... Embarassed

Ignore it and it will go awaym it works!
Chewie

BNet Acct/Realm: AWOL
16.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Really random question..  

Dao Jones wrote:

Not sure there's a scientific definition for the phenomenon, but it occurs when your brain works a millisecond faster than your nerve impulses. As the pain command travels from your toe to your brain and gets figured out, there can be a brief moment of "shock" where you don't feel the sensation. But since the injury is so minor, the shock fades fast... and ouch.

It might be related to actual shock, wherein you suffer a trauma but don't feel the pain until some time later. (Like the person who is shot but doesn't notice it until later when the adrenaline wears off and the danger he was in passes.)

- Dr. Dao

You're on the right track! When you stub your toe, the pain is recieved by sensory receptors in your toe. Those impulse gets sent to your spinal cord first, since it's the part of the CNS that's closest (as opposed to the brain). The spinal cord relays a message back to the muscles in your leg/foot/toe to pull it away. The spinal cord simultaniously sends a message to the brain indicating pain, but the brain recieves this after the reflex has already occured; that's why there's a slight delay.

giantsquid

BNet Acct/Realm: USwest [L]
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Really random question..  

Chewie wrote:
Dao Jones wrote:

- Dr. Dao

You're on the right track! When you stub your toe, the pain is recieved by sensory receptors in your toe. Those impulse gets sent to your spinal cord first, since it's the part of the CNS that's closest (as opposed to the brain). The spinal cord relays a message back to the muscles in your leg/foot/toe to pull it away. The spinal cord simultaniously sends a message to the brain indicating pain, but the brain recieves this after the reflex has already occured; that's why there's a slight delay.

I could be wrong, but I think Spazz was referring something of slightly longer duration. I always just assumed it was part of the supressed pain thing that Dao mentioned. I know I have had a least a few situations where this seems to be what happens. How I usually think of it is that I don't feel pain until my body knows it isn't in any further danger. For example, if you break your leg while you are trying to get out of the way of a train, you aren't going to sit there and cry until you manage to get off the tracks.

Spazz

BNet Acct/Realm: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada.
0.15 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Really random question..  

giantsquid wrote:
if you break your leg while you are trying to get out of the way of a train, you aren't going to sit there and cry until you manage to get off the tracks.

I would Sad

I guess it is just the delay in the time for the signal of pain to hit the brain?
Well, it's annoying.. but at the same time I kinda like it. Creepy.

Account: -=-Spazz-=-
Realm: USEast
Characters:
Carousel - 57 Trap Assassin MLD

Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Really random question..  

Spazz wrote:
giantsquid wrote:
if you break your leg while you are trying to get out of the way of a train, you aren't going to sit there and cry until you manage to get off the tracks.

I would Sad

You are not long for this world.
Quote:

I guess it is just the delay in the time for the signal of pain to hit the brain?
Well, it's annoying.. but at the same time I kinda like it. Creepy.

And there are drugs that mimic this effect as well. LSD, I think? I'm not a pharmacist (I'm a pretend doctor of the general practicioner variety), but I know there are stories of people on drugs being able to shrug off bullets and flip cars - doing unholy damage to their bodies in the process, but having the pain receptors dulled to the point of not feeling it.

GODZ!

BNet Acct/Realm: ECWK
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject:  

Acid can change but it doesn't lessen nor diminish feeling. I don' think so atleast.
SoaringSquirrel

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject:  

PCP/Angeldust is the psychohallucinogen that is most famously known to give people bouts of seemingly superhuman strength and endurance, like the aforementioned bullet shrugging and car flipping, most likely through a removal in perception of bodily limitations (not just dulled feelings) and chemical factors of the drug itself. It's not as common with LSD, though people are known to jump off of buildings to their deaths, believing they have the ability to fly on acid. I hear crackheads to the same thing, just during the come down period though. Shocked

www.erowid.org if you would like to be informed on some drugs and their effects without religious, political, or moral propoganda and the such - just the hard facts about what is known about the drugs, and what is not known.

Back on topic though, I can't think of the name, but my dad is an anesthesiologist, so I'll pose the question to him and see if he has any idea what it is.
Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject:  

SoaringSquirrel wrote:
PCP/Angeldust is the psychohallucinogen that is most famously known to give people bouts of seemingly superhuman strength and endurance,

That's the one. You know your pharmacopia, SS! Smile

ChasingChickens

BNet Acct/Realm: *Chasingchickens, *LegendofRooster
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Really random question..  

Chewie wrote:
Dao Jones wrote:

- Dr. Dao

Omg psychology class paid off, I understand what you're saying! WOOOOOO

iso: 18 max/-15 req jewel
20+max damage jewels
3/ar/life scs
ed/max jewels
Standard LLD Currency (15 lifers, 15 maxers, SoJ's, Runes, etc etc)
Icanneverwin

BNet Acct/Realm: *Disc0nnect
1.49 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject:  

No just applying to physcial pain... if you can feel it in your muscles then you can feel it in your heart. What you know will cause pain but wont till later on. That must be now.

~Destined for Disappointment~

--------------------------------------------------
1000th post:Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:54 pm

1337st post:Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:06 am
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: