LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:41 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Hairry Potter 6
Page 2 of 2 [27 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Vixen

BNet Acct/Realm: The 'Big Apple'
7.76 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject:  

I don't think that most movies can do their book counter parts any real justice. For the reason I didn't even watch any more than the glimpses I got off from flipping through my stolen HBO.

Except for Jurassic park, I was ALL about Jurassic park.

"Vixen's also the name of a reindeer"
Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject:  

Spazz wrote:

And improving literacy? Me'h, I know my spelling and grammar aren't/isn't (prime example) top notch, but you can learn to read and be fairly accurate with your reading by just playing a computer game.

I should be more specific. The books are encouraging children to read, and getting them excited about doing it. Reading > computer games, even if computer games can likewise increase a person's literacy/overall intelligence. I'm in favor of anything that gets kids exciting about reading and away from the freakin' television. Sesame Street was a terrible detriment to the educational system. (Read the psychology studies on the subject - I'm not going to repeat it here unless someone's excited about cognitive development; nor is it the point of this thread in any event.)

Point is, while they're not the best books I've ever read, they're pretty good all the same, and it's just icing on the cake that they're encouraging healthy habits in kids: like reading, forming healthy friendships, and devil worship. But I suppose such things aren't for everyone...

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
B[x]

BNet Acct/Realm: Retired
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject:  

I'll have to agree with Dao on this one because I am living proof that the Harry Potter series encourages children to read. I was never a big fan of reading when I was younger but when my 8th grade teacher suggested that we read the books (along with my parents' and brother's persistent tries to make reading a habit instead of a chore), I decided to give the first book a shot. I was hooked, I ended up making short order of the first three books while I impatiently waited for the fourth book to hit the shelves.

While inbetween the releases of the Potter books, I started picking up other titles that had that same sort of magic (pun intended) about them. I had developed a taste (with my brother's help) for the fantasy genre, with perhaps a little sci-fi sprinkled in.

Because of the Harry Potter books, I am now a strong advocate for reading. Not only does it expand upon your vocabulary and provide you with ways of expressing yourself that you would have never known had you not picked up a book before, it also kills time. I travel a lot using public transportation (not out of choice, but out of necessity) for hours at a time and reading a book to pass the time sure beats just sitting there and listening to music.

As for those who base the Harry Potter series solely on the movies, I have some insight for you: the movies plain suck. They leave so much out that it would be difficult to get more than a vague idea as to what's going on without having first read the books.

[Important Links]
GODZ!
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

BNet Acct/Realm: ECWK
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject:  

you, 100% blow for just saying that.

*the above comment was deleted by me to save everyone from seeing a massive spoiler.
-Voices
Will

BNet Acct/Realm: East L : *BloodPhoenix
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject:  

Aha...ooops...spoiler Crying or Very sad
VoicesLLD

BNet Acct/Realm: Recovering WoW addict.
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject:  

good job there xerox. next time warn before you post a spoiler. iv deleted it to save everyone else the fate godz faces (less surprise for him).

blizz99

BNet Acct/Realm: US East, Classic
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject:  

thank u voice... but it was too late... i saw it already... Crying or Very sad
Will

BNet Acct/Realm: East L : *BloodPhoenix
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject:  

Delete godz comment as well because now it looks like hes saying that to Bx... lol
hero-lld

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject:  

bx knows what hes talking about Smile

there gona have a hard time fitting the 4th into a movie then even the bigger 5th book Shocked without leaving like half the stuff out

i also heard they might have to get new people to film the movie because there getting to old Confused

i finshed the book yesterday with a bit of a suprised ending Wink

Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject:  

Xer0x. wrote:
Delete godz comment as well because now it looks like hes saying that to Bx... lol

Haha.. I thought he *was* saying that to B[x]. I was gonna say "Damn, GODZ, you're no friend of literacy, eh?" Wink

But here's a huge spoiler for you all: with the help of his friends, Harry Potter successfully thwarts evil while learning a valuable life lesson. Just like in every other book (and countless Scooby Doo and Diff'rent Strokes episodes). I really like the series, but ole J.K.R. needs to spice things up a bit. I secretly hope she kills Harry and lets Voldemort reign supreme in the last book - JUST to be different, you understand? (Voldy could always get knifed by a Muggle, or catch the AIDs or something...)

Still, I'm glad it gets people reading. Luckily for me, I've been big on reading since I was a wee lad (we didn't even have a TV in my house until I was 7 or so, since no one ever watched TV anyway). I read my first 1000+ page book before I hit middle school (but probably understood about... 300 of those pages in total), and actually got yelled at once for reading Farenheit 451 in Biology class. (Which was both amusing, and highly ironic at the same time.)

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
GODZ!
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

BNet Acct/Realm: ECWK
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject:  

well, bummer that i got the spoiler, but god damn i did not see that coming, as much as i tried to see into it. Now, i CAN'T wait for the next, i don't want it to end!
blizz99

BNet Acct/Realm: US East, Classic
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject:  

I thought J.K.R is ganna kill Poter when she wanted to... but i think that

she doesn't want to get sued by the children's suprem court Wink
Page 2 of 2 [27 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: