LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue May 28, 2024 10:03 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
omg deep throat nixon?
Page 3 of 4 [55 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
majshake

BNet Acct/Realm: Indiana
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject:  

Nixon 69-74 - ends Vietnam war. I think someone needs to learn there history....before they try to look smart..Nixon promised to ease the United States out of the Vietnam war, and he kept his promise. Nixon and Kissinger started their plan to hand the war over to the South Vitnamese: Vietnamization (was the term). lol there you learned something new.. By the end of 1970, the number of troops in Vietnam had fallen from 440,000 in the beginning of 1969 to 235,000. By 1970 there were only 50,000 troops in Vietnam.
by the year of 74' we had about all we could handle with the war. so yes nixon did get us out of vietnam ..how old are you hmm? biggest thing ford ever did was offer limited immunity to US draft dodgers.. yea he helped us alot..... seeya sucka
VoicesLLD

BNet Acct/Realm: Recovering WoW addict.
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject:  

majshake wrote:
Nixon 69-74 - ends Vietnam war. I think someone needs to learn there history....before they try to look smart..Nixon promised to ease the United States out of the Vietnam war, and he kept his promise. Nixon and Kissinger started their plan to hand the war over to the South Vitnamese: Vietnamization (was the term). lol there you learned something new.. By the end of 1970, the number of troops in Vietnam had fallen from 440,000 in the beginning of 1969 to 235,000. By 1970 there were only 50,000 troops in Vietnam.
by the year of 74' we had about all we could handle with the war. so yes nixon did get us out of vietnam ..how old are you hmm? biggest thing ford ever did was offer limited immunity to US draft dodgers.. yea he helped us alot..... seeya sucka

http://www.landscaper.net/timelin.htm

Aug 74 - President Nixon resigns

16 Sep 74 - President Ford unveiled a conditional clemency program for Vietnam-era military deserters and draft evaders

9 Mar 75 - A major offensive begins against South Vietnam with an attack on Ban Me Thuot in the Central Highlands. South Vietnam fell in 55 days.

17 Apr 75 - Cambodian government surrenders to Khmer Rouge forces

29 Apr 75 - Last American soldier killed in Vietnam (the first was 8 Jul 59) The official American presence in Saigon ends when the last Americans are evacuated by helicopter from the US Embassy roof. Within hours the Saigon government surrenders to the VC

im confused by this part all-together
Quote:

By the end of 1970, the number of troops in Vietnam had fallen from 440,000 in the beginning of 1969 to 235,000. By 1970 there were only 50,000 troops in Vietnam.

"by the end of 1970, there was 235,000 troops. at the beginning of 1969 there was 440,000. by 1970, there was 50,000."
thats what i understand from it. was this a typo?

found this quote on the same page, thought it might apply somewhat.
Nixon wrote:
No event in American history is more misunderstood than the Vietnam War. It was misreported then, and it is misremembered now. Rarely have so many people been so wrong about so much. Never have the consequences of their misunderstanding been so tragic.

Belarathon

BNet Acct/Realm: east nl
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject:  

it says that there were 440 000 in thebeginning of 1969 but by the end of 1970 there it had fallen to 235 000. i think the last sentence about there being 50 000 in 1970 must have abeen a typo cause he just said there were 235 000 at the end of 1970. he just didn't put the proper commas in and stuff, maybe if you read i like this

By the end of 1970, the number of troops in vietnam had fallen from (the) 440 000 (it was) in the beginning of 1969, to 235 000.
VoicesLLD

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject:  

Belarathon wrote:
it says that there were 440 000 in thebeginning of 1969 but by the end of 1970 there it had fallen to 235 000.

i understood it as that, but was writing out the basics in the same order as he wrote them.

majshake

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject:  

sorry i messed up on my numbers i was just trying to relay the fact that nixon was the reason we got out of the war...
VoicesLLD

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject:  

majshake wrote:
sorry i messed up on my numbers i was just trying to relay the fact that nixon was the reason we got out of the war...

im sure the 80,000 war protestors had nothing to do with it either.

majshake

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject:  

when did u learn about so much about american history voices hmm..im sure canada has great influence on american politics.. l o l
Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject:  

majshake wrote:

VoicesLLD wrote:
29 Apr 75 - Last American soldier killed in Vietnam (the first was 8 Jul 59) The official American presence in Saigon ends when the last Americans are evacuated by helicopter from the US Embassy roof. Within hours the Saigon government surrenders to the VC

Dao Jones: 2
majshake: 0

Quote:
..how old are you hmm?

I was born April 4th, 1975, exactly 25 days before the last soldier died in Vietnam. Wink

Look, you're a bit new here, so let me clue you in on something: don't question me. I'm a goddamn sight smarter than most people you'll ever meet, and I rarely post things on here unless I've done my research. (This excludes LLD-related stuff, since I'm a pathetic noob when it comes to LLD.) So... now that you have egg on your face, I'll graciously hand you a towel, and we'll both agree not to bring this up when we bump into each other at social functions and embassy dinners, mmkay?

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)

Last edited by Dao Jones on Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Zero
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

BNet Acct/Realm: U.S. east
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject:  

Dao Jones wrote:
Look, you're a bit new here, so let me clue you in on something: don't question me. I'm a goddamn sight smarter than most people you'll ever meet, and I rarely post things on here unless I've done my research. (This excludes LLD-related stuff, since I'm a pathetic noob when it comes to LLD.) So... now that you have egg on your face, I'll graciously hand you a towel, and we'll both agree not to bring this up when we bump into each other at social functions and embassy dinners, mmkay?

god tally up

dao 3
maj 0

the vietnam trophy goes to.....................................

DAO JONES

majshake

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject:  

you still think Ford was the reason we got out of vietnam......lol as i said .. read a little more on the subject before u try to sound smart.....
VoicesLLD

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject:  

Zero wrote:

god tally up

dao 3
maj 0

DAO JONES

thats enough argueing from everyone. especially you, we dont need any comments antagonizing the situation, mr peanut gallery.

Zero

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject:  

VoicesLLD wrote:
Zero wrote:

god tally up

dao 3
maj 0

DAO JONES

thats enough argueing from everyone. especially you, we dont need any comments antagonizing the situation, mr peanut gallery.

way to be a hypocrit Wink good job

Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject:  

majshake wrote:
you still think Ford was the reason we got out of vietnam......lol as i said .. read a little more on the subject before u try to sound smart.....

Actually, you'll note I never actually asserted that any president was responsible for "getting us out of Vietnam". I did state, however, that Nixon was not president at the time. Here's a fine link you might find enlightening:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War#.22Vietnamization.22

And a few salient quotes:

Quote:
On 15 January 1973, citing progress in peace negotiations, President Nixon announced the suspension of offensive action in North Vietnam which was later followed by a unilateral withdrawal of US troops from Vietnam. The Paris Peace Accords were later signed on 27 January 1973 which officially ended US involvement in the Vietnam conflict. This won the 1973 Nobel Peace Prize for Kissinger and North Vietnam's Prime Minister Le Duc Tho while fighting continued, leading songwriter Tom Lehrer to declare that irony had died.

The peace agreement did not last.

So... if Nixon successfully "got us out" of Vietnam in 1973, then what comes next is a baffling mystery:

Quote:
On April 29 (1975), the US launched Option IV, the largest helicopter evacuation in history. Chaos, unrest, and panic ensued as hectic Vietnamese scrambled to leave Saigon before it was too late. Helicopters began evacuating from the US embassy and the airport. Evacuations were held to the last minute because US Ambassador Martin thought Saigon could be held and defended. The operation began in an atmosphere of desperation as hysterical mobs of South Vietnamese raced to takeoff spots designated to evacuate, many yelling to be saved. Martin had pleaded to the US government to send $700 million dollars in emergency to South Vietnam in order to bolster the Saigon regime?s ability to fight and to mobilize fresh South Vietnamese units. But the plea was rejected. Many Americans felt the Saigon regime would meet certain collapse. President Ford gave a speech on April 23, declaring the end of the Vietnam War and the end of all American aid to the Saigon regime. The helicopter evacuation continued all day and night while NVA tanks reached the outskirts of Saigon. In the early hours of April 30, the last US Marines left the embassy as hectic Vietnamese breached the embassy perimeter and raided the place.

Look, majshake... you're wrong, dammit. What you're trying to assert is that Nixon got us out of Vietnam. You're incorrect. He *did* significantly scale-down our involvement, and he *did* declare the "end of major hostilities" against the NVA. But as we all know, declaring the "end of major hostilities" is HARDLY the same as declaring a war "over". Here's a relevant comparison (from a World News article dated May 2nd, 2003):

Quote:
ABOARD THE USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN -- US President George W. Bush declared the major fighting in Iraq over but warned Washington might confront other "outlaw" regimes in its war on terror as Secretary of State Colin Powell headed to Syria Friday to press it to end its support for Arab militants.

Further down, a quote from Beloved Uncle Bush:

Quote:
"Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed," Bush told some 5,000 sailors aboard the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier.

I'm sure the thousands of people who have died since May 1st, 2003 will be glad to know that they weren't fighting a war or anything. Must have all been accidental deaths or gang-related shootings, right? We're still at war in Iraq, and we were still at war in 1975. Bush hasn't "gotten us out of Iraq", and Nixon didn't "get us out of Vietnam".

Dao Jones wrote:
Look, you're a bit new here, so let me clue you in on something: don't question me.

You're a slow learner, majshake. But that's okay - we're a patient bunch.

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
majshake

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject:  

all i can say is if you dont think nixon was the major reason we got out of the war then your hopeless, the idea was, it dosent take a day or two to get out of situation such as vietnam..nixon won his election by alot, due to the fact that he ran on the promise that we would pull from vietnam. and we did.... ......and out of the blue,you have to bring up bush and try to lamely compare the two wars... you are a typical libby Razz you sound like your buddy ted kennedy. and i am so glad bush won this election. liberalism is a disease.. i hope you find a cure.... im not going to say anymore, i spent to much time trying to read all this crap. i guess we agree to disagree. done deal....ill make a new topic on here soon.
Zero

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject:  

Please daos and every do not think republicans are like majshake over here. I myself consider myself boarderline republican tetering on independent and "typically libby" democrat bashing is bullshit.

Maj: Being a liberal isnt a disease, its a point of view, a way the person thinks. Just because Dao doesnt agree with you doens't mean he's wrong. I think he has rubbed your face in the dirt enough for you to be able to realize YOUR the wrong one.

Political views aside, Dao is right, Nixon did not get us out of the war. Obviously you are to set in your weay of thinking to even look at the proof.

Goddamn, Dao, i think you should just let this go, im sure he has history tests to fail Laughing that is, if he hasnt already Smile

Page 3 of 4 [55 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: