LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:25 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion
Is this Bm
Page 3 of 3 [42 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Kavlor

2.60 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject:  

DarkMousy wrote:
It's not the weapon/skill/w.e that is "bm". The person has the manners, not the aforementioned things. As long as the person isn't being a dick, I don't have a problem with it.

I agree.I was dueling someone the other day who was using total slow but I tolerated it because he was just having a bit of fun with it but wasnt being an idiot.Idiots those who nake you as well or slow you while there trappist friend takes you out.Basically those who are obviousley griefers.
Meegz ?

BNet Acct/Realm: *meegz @ east ladder
39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject:  

i too agree with meitou on the prison/decrep thing, but i dont do it against zeal paladins on my necro. every other char is fair game, imo. smiters can get through my bone armor and my perf block is useless against them, so i have to keep them away. plus, the good smiters now use enigma in most cases, so Razz barbs and zons esp i decrep and prison, because most barbs use enigma for one (i tele into my prisons so they absorb the hits and not me) and zons run so friggin much its annoying.

the only reason i dont against zealots, is because they have zero chance if i do. literally, i can get enough spirits off on them namelocked after dropping one prison and decrep that by the time they get through the prison, if they do, they're toast. no chance.

btw, why use holy freeze+clegs on a general smiter/zealot? slow caps @ 50% i thought...so its just a regular smiter build, but instead of a +combat scepter its a generals. which i find bm vs melee chars, to adress the original topic. "ice" bowazons are probably the worst thing ever for z v z, lol. holy freeze is such a bitch.

Napalm loves the little children of the world.
meitou

4.11 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject:  

Roy wrote:
Quote:
Roy wrote:
A holy freeze smiter with Cleg's and General's Flail? Impossible for any other melee character.

Kicker.

Kicksin, really? My level 30 kicker can't beat any well-built smiter even without slow gear. Obviously my character has plenty of room for improvement, but I've always thought that smiters destroy kicksins as a general rule.

Back to the original subject, I believe it was probably just an honest mistake. However, most duelers refuse to use any Slow items out of principal. I don't even keep Cleg's gloves in my stash anymore because it gives my throw barb such a ridiculous advantage (to the extent that dueling is no longer even challenging or fun). For someone to come along and say "Well, I think it's fair game, so I'm using it" is unfair and disrespectful to those who choose to follow this unwritten rule of etiquette. I even crafted a pair of Knockback gloves for cases when they're absolutely necessary.

Goky's level 18 bowzon is one of the top level 18's on East by far. If he put on a pair of Cleg's gloves (instead of his crafted KB gloves), I don't think any character could touch him. Of course, I could then put a pair of Cleg's gloves on my throwpally and we could struggle to see who could slow the other person first. This would be loads of fun.

The beauty of dueling (at level 18 at least) is that there is a good bit of parity involved. In general, Goky's amazon usually owns my throw barb, but he cannot beat my throw pally. Goky's druid kills my throw pally, but my throw barb has little problems with his druid. Goky's druid beats his amazon, but he's one of the very few level 18 chars on east that can do it.

If an item is so cheap that it forces most other characters to use it in order to compete (Slow items, mercs, potting), it completely destroys the parity that 1) exists in the game and 2) which the rules, written and unwritten, have sought to preserve. At that point, dueling will devolve into the same few builds who can exploit the cheap gear. Rather than just accept this degression as part of the game, we can continue to set a rule structure that makes dueling relatively balanced and enjoyable.

For the original guy who uses a General's smiter, if you're on East Ladder, please whisper me and I'll let you face a level 18 Cleg's guided zon. After you fight this char, using Smite to slow people will suddenly seem a lot less fun.

Kicker using Strength brandistock could have chance vs smiter, with 7 sols and cleg glove, the chance will be even better.

But still, fury druid is the best melee char for vs smiter.

For lvl 18 duels, bone spear necro can probably beat all other chars, except for a fissure druid. Bowzon will lose to charger and spear necro, with or without cleg glove.
Goky

1.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject:  

Echoing on what rjg said about all the level 18's, I forgot to mention that.

As he said, the beauty of the level 18 class is balance, I don't think any ONE class prevails over the others. Out of the best characters on there, whenever we duel, it's never clear cut who is going to win, there's never any "best" character, because it can always go either way, and there's a lot of strategy involved.

And, as said, if my zon decided to use clegs gloves + slow missiles against ear_god's bone necro or rjg's throwbarb, it'd just be a lesson in pointlessness, there would absolutely be no big point in dueling.

I'm relatively new to LLD'ing, as I started back in december. My first character was an 18 zealot, and basically I didn't want to have fun dueling, I wanted to kill people, I mainly just pubby dueled, and that was pretty much all he was good for.

After scrapping him and making some other characters, I finally realized that just killing people easily or killing people much weaker than me isn't fun at all. I don't want to slaughter everyone and destroy them, that's not enjoyable, it's like using god mode in Doom or something. I want to actually have fun, challenging, strategic duels. And when one person uses something like decrep, slow missiles, or a slow item, then they are no longer fun, strategic, or challenging.. just retarded (yes I said retarded).
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
Kicker using Strength brandistock could have chance vs smiter, with 7 sols and cleg glove

You assume that the Smiter doesn't use any Sol gear -- 7 sols = dead kicker. Also, it's fruiltess when kicksins put on a polearm, since they then cannot block my smiter's Charge attack and die pretty quickly.

yarly
Draken_Werewolf

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject:  

Quote:
At that point, dueling will devolve into the same few builds who can exploit the cheap gear.

Just putting my two cents in, but doesn't that sound a bit like the masive amount of cookie cutter zealers that run around and use all the gear they can find socketed with 15 maxers? The low amount of variety does mess with the game and can lead to no fun at all. Mostly because people want to be successful but wont try anything new or "outside of the box" because they might not win as much. I think that maybe we should be more open to use of certain items. Or maybe we shouldn't, it all depends on the person who is choosing the build. It isn't our decision whether or not they should be allowed to use items they want. But eh, i'm a noob who gets slaughtered all the time. Maybe i'm leaning toward the bm's point of view cause it might help me... Rolling Eyes
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject:  

Obviously cookie cutter zealers dominate the level 18 scene, but there are some builds that can handle them pretty easily. Defensive smiters, conc barbs, spear necros, fissure druids, throw barbs, and bowzons are all viable options.

The problem is, yes, putting on slow might balance the scales a little bit... until your opponent does the exact same thing right back. At that point, you've got cookie cutter characters all using slow gear, which makes dueling boring.

yarly
krajee

9.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject:  

Roy wrote:
Quote:
Kicker using Strength brandistock could have chance vs smiter, with 7 sols and cleg glove

You assume that the Smiter doesn't use any Sol gear -- 7 sols = dead kicker. Also, it's fruiltess when kicksins put on a polearm, since they then cannot block my smiter's Charge attack and die pretty quickly.

A holy freeze zealer using seven sols won't do enough damage to get through MY seven sols.

DarkMousy

BNet Acct/Realm: Canada
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject:  

A kicker with a strength brandistock = charge/smite with the generals, switch to normal weap, flash holy freeze and smite to death. IMO the only other melee characters that stand a chance against a good smiter would be fury druid/wwbarb (YES I consider ww/smite melee by definition. I wouldn't group them in the same melee tiers for obvious balance reasons, but w/e).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
PaulRishell

BNet Acct/Realm: UsWest[L] *PaulRishell *ClassicLLD
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is this Bm  

[quote="Naruto-QoG"]I have a lld pally smiter and he uses generals flail
with 50% slow some people feel that this is BM
and they nk me

yes thats very bm, and if u used it on me id nk u too.. and id bm back
food-ranger

BNet Acct/Realm: The.Dragon@useast
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject:  

Quote:
In my experience, popular consensus in LLD seems to agree that any slow (anywhere from items to skills like Slow Missile or Decrepify), Iron Maiden, Bone Prison, Thorns, potting of any type (including antidote and thawing pots), and sometimes even Battle Cry is BM, just so you know.

rofl thorns, thorns is so shitty, its so nerfed i want all my oponents to use thorns.

id nk any one with generals flail on them, or is a holy freeze whore.

Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject:  

I've seen debates like this one since I joined the site, and they always seem to follow the same lines. The problem, as I understand it, is one of perception; specifically, an individual's perception of what is or isn't considered a "fair duel".

The rules of LLD101/Clan Honor were created in an attempt to ensure that player skill, not merely item accumulation or cheap game stats, would determine dueling ability. Simultaneously, a second goal was to ensure that duels would be fun; i.e. not two duelists frozen, slowed, crippled via curses, and surrounded by bone prisons. Duels like this aren't usually enjoyable (unless you're doing it to your enemy while he sits helpless), and so some skills/items were banned to try to maintain the integrity of the dueling experience. Lastly, they were put in place so that two duelists could fight while knowing that both sides were playing under the same set of limitations. However, these rules really just constitute a "gentleman's agreement", and to be flat-out honest, more and more people who duel (and LLD) are anything but "gentlemen". They want to win by any means necessary, and while that isn't necessarily a "bad" thing, it is not in the spirit of LLD101.

To make a comparison, I'd say that LLD101 envisions dueling like the old dogfights of WWI fighter aces: using crappy, rickity tarp-covered planes required enormous piloting skill, luck and tenacity. And when the loser lost, oftentimes they were allowed to retreat with dignity (or rescued and released if they crashed). The inferiority of their equipment forced them to think creatively and skillfully, and the "gentleman's agreement" of the loser's protection by the winner meant that both sides recognized that honor was an important factor in dueling.

Newer duelists, I've noticed, are more like WWII or modern pilots. Their enemy is dehumanized, their only goal is victory at any cost. There is no need for honor, because the goal isn't to play but to win. For these people, any skill or item that gives them an advantage should be used, and they view people that eschew such items are "quaint" or just plain stupid. Again - I'm not saying that either side is wrong or bad; merely that this gap in thinking exists between players on here.

So what that leaves us with is two "camps" on LLD101: "gentleman duelists" and "play-to-win duelists". Both sides assert their way of thinking is "right", and every once in a while the two sides come to a head over interpretation of the rules. My opinion, were it asked (and it's not - I just like sticking my nose in) is that LLD101 should consider scrapping all but the most basic rules of play (i.e. no dupes or hacks, and no character past level 30), and let individual tournament designers decide what rules should apply. I think that over the years LLD101 has been around, it has evolved from "a website for Clan Honor rules low level dueling" into a larger "low level dueling of all kinds community". People come here to talk with fellow LL duelers, discuss basic strategy, and engage with a like-minded community. I doubt very much our enforcement of the "rules" has any bearing on the strength or weakness of what we offer here. Hell - probably a third of the active posters on this site (and several of the mods) don't even play D2 anymore.

[Disclaimer: I don't speak for the site on this; it's just my opinion, as previously stated.]

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
Page 3 of 3 [42 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion
Jump to: