LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:57 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
weight lifting
Page 6 of 8 [114 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Chewie

BNet Acct/Realm: AWOL
16.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject:  

Quote:
Most people can absorb 50g every 2 hours. It's pretty hard to get too much protein.

The nutrition course I'm taking would argue otherwise. I used to think extra protein wasn't a waste. I don't know which is better for sure, but I'd rather believe the stuff I read in my textbook, as opposed to the conflicting and ambiguous information in the BB'ing community.

I just went on a 3 month "mini-cut", and I stopped trying to excessively take in protein, and I had a pretty noticable drop in BF%. Whether it's from the decreased calories, or from the absence of extra protein from being converted into fat, I'm not sure.

Quote:
That's also not true - if you're trying to bulk up, you need to eat more. Alcohol must go, but not for the reason you give. Alcohol is a carb and has only 4 calories per gram (compared to 9 calories per gram of fat). However, alcohol is a diuretic (dehydrates you). Since muscles are 75% water, you can't build muscle unless you're well-hydrated.

That's incorrect. Alcohol has 7kilocalories per gram.

Chewie

16.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject:  

Quote:
no need to show pics of how dead sexy you are chewie.

i need to ask for some substitutes on some of your lifts though
something besides these that does same thing just as well?
t-bar rows.
preacher cable curl
seated calf raises

-Instead of T-bar rows, you could do normal seated cable rows.
-You don't "need" to do preacher cable curls, you can just do 1-2 of any bicep exercise you like.
For calves, you can grab a couple dumbells, and do standing calf raises off of some kind of step. Or, you can use the leg press machine, and just use your toes on it.

Quote:
also id like to make sure my lower back can handle the weight. i dont see any direct lwr back in your list, i really feel like i should do some back extensions on day3 no?

Deadlifts are the #1 lower back exercise; it's pretty much all you need. Just make sure you progress slowly and make sure you're doing it properly, or else you can really hurt yourself. (But if you really want to do hyperextensions, it wont hurt)

Last edited by Chewie on Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject:  

How can alcohol have 7 calories per gram? It's a carbohydrate, and all carbs have 4 calories per gram. I think you're confused on that one, Chewie.
Chewie

16.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject:  

Quote:
How can alcohol have 7 calories per gram? It's a carbohydrate, and all carbs have 4 calories per gram. I think you're confused on that one, Chewie

Not according to my textbook. IMO, scientific textbook > random people (not you specifically) on forums.

Oh yeah, Jerkazoid, I'd recommend you take some "before" pics for future reference, if possible. It's a great motivator once you see the results.

breakbeatz2
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject:  

What did your textbook say Chewie, I'm curious.
Quote:

If you eat too much protein, your body can't absorb it all, so it either gets crapped out (waste of money), or it gets turned into fat (not what you want).

Not to be smart, but which is it? You're right though, you only need about 35 grams of protein per meal. However, you should have about five-six "meals" a day, about two-three hours apart.

If you eat too much for your body to digest, you pee it out. If your macro for the day is too high it will be stored as energy (fat)
Chewie

16.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject:  

What specifically did you want information about from my text? Here's a passage, assuming its about protein you're wondering.

Quote:
Although your body preferentially burns carbohydrate and fat for energy, if necessary it can use protein for energy or to make glucose. Thus carbohydrate and fat are protein-sparing: they spare amino acids from being burned for energy and allow them to be used for protein synthesis.

If the diet does not provide enough energy to sustain vital functions, the body will sacrifice its own protein from enzymes, muscle, and other tissues to make energy and glucose for use by the brain, lungs, and heart. This is what happens in cases of starvation.

If the diet contains more protein than is needed for protein synthesis, most of the excess is converted to glucose or stored as fat. Thus, people who take protein supplements or eat high-protein diets in hopes of increasing muscle mass my instead be expensively adding to their body fat.

breakbeatz2

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject:  

I've always heard that you can process around 50g every 2 hours. I was wondering what your textbook said to contradict that. I know that you need to make sure that your macro isn't too high, but that isn't a problem for me or anyone else I know.
Chewie

16.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject:  

breakbeatz2 wrote:
I've always heard that you can process around 50g every 2 hours. I was wondering what your textbook said to contradict that. I know that you need to make sure that your macro isn't too high, but that isn't a problem for me or anyone else I know.

Ohh. I was talking about over the whole day, not every couple hours. Like I said before, my text states that normal people only need 0.8 grams per day, and high performance athletes (i.e. professionals), need 1.6-1.7 at most. Processing 50g every 2 hours may very well be possible, but consuming that dosage even twice per day would exceed the recommended allowance for protein for the entire day, which is where I inferred the contradicting information...If that makes any sense to you.

In any event, I'm going to try going off of whey after I finish my tub, and see if there are any differences.

Chewie

16.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject:  

rjg wrote:
Can you please cite the passage about alcohol having 7 calories per gram? That contradicts every textbook I've ever read.

Sure (making me type out stuff *grumble grumble*)

Insel, Turner, & Ross (2004). Nutrition, Second Edition, pp. 285-286 wrote:

Alcohol: Is it a Nutrient?

Alcohol eludes easy classification. Like fat, protein and carbohydrate, it provides energy when metabolized. Laboratory experiments in the nineteenth century demonstrated that upon oxidation pure alcohol releases 7 kilocalories per gram, but many people doubted that it actually produced energy in the body. These doubts were the basis of the controversial conclusion that alcohol was not food - a conclusion used by early Prohibitionists as a weapon in their fight against alcohol. However, energy researchers Francis Atwater and Wilbur Benedict did a series of now-famous direct calorimetry experiments and showed that alcohol did indeed produce 7 kilocalories oer gram in the body - findings that were a great disappointment to the Temperance Movement, because they showed alcohol was a food.

Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks a lot -- I did some research on my own, and I found it on a nutritional website. Odd, I'm surprised that I never came across that before, even after reading the South Beach Diet book. Although, since I try to avoid alcohol when I'm working out regularly, I guess I just skimmed over that section.
Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject:  

the lifts regiments you suggest make sence and i can copy them down..

however the diet is now going to be the WORST aspect and i have alot of information to try and absorb from breakbeats (ty break)

also .. uh assuming i can gain 20-30 lbs (my target now) will this stay if i start to slow my workout?
bascially if i am able to maintian who i am now.. am i able to naturally maintain what i become? or will i just seriously revert?

Chewie

16.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject:  

Jerkazoid wrote:

also .. uh assuming i can gain 20-30 lbs (my target now) will this stay if i start to slow my workout?
bascially if i am able to maintian who i am now.. am i able to naturally maintain what i become? or will i just seriously revert?

You'll be more successful if you concentrate on everyday goals, rather than numeric goals. (E.g. "I'm going to work out 3 days a week, every week for the month"). Your appearance can change A LOT while your weight doesn't. In the past 6 months, I've had fluxuations of maybe 5-8 lbs at most, but my strength and appearance have changed drastically.

Regarding your question, it depends how much you slow down, as well as your genetics. If you're "genetically programmed" to be 160 lbs, and by working out a lot, you get to 185 lbs, and you stop, you'll revert almost back to where you were (however, you'll gain it back faster if you start again). If you're a mesomorph, chances are you can keep the weight relatively easily by exercising every second week or so, maybe.

Chances are, if you're like me, you'll like your new strength/health/appearance, and you won't slow down workouts for fear that you WILL lose your gains.

GODZ!

BNet Acct/Realm: ECWK
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject:  

is it normal to work out every day and lose weight?
buttersdan

BNet Acct/Realm: Nebraska
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject:  

GODZ_llds wrote:
is it normal to work out every day and lose weight?

same thing happens to me, it means your doing work outs that arent hard enough mostly, if you want to gain muscle you have to lift more

personally i dont want to get heavier, easier weight classes at lower weights
GODZ!

BNet Acct/Realm: ECWK
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject:  

i max out like every other day.
Page 6 of 8 [114 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: