LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri May 31, 2024 3:35 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
weight lifting
Page 3 of 8 [114 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Chewie

BNet Acct/Realm: AWOL
16.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject:  

Ah, someone else who knows what he's talking about. Cool

Hellfireclanx

11.73 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject:  

breakbeatz2 wrote:
Also, if you're bulking, you don't need cardio. If you really want to do it for your heart and central nervous system, keep it under 20 minutes per session, as calorie burning doesn't really kick in until around the 30 minute mark.

I'm a wrestler, and since weight doesn't really matter to me I'm going for bulk but I need to be in good cardio shape too. So I'm guessing it would be best to do cardio and lifting on alternate days. I usually run 2 or 3 miles before working out, but since I just do it at a moderate pace it shouldn't be too much of a cardio workout to hurt my lifting.

breakbeatz2
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject:  

Cardio first thing in morning on an empty to burn stored fat rather than carbs. You can work out on the same day.
Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject:  

im not doing anything insane atm, i might try harder though with the information u guys have given me
i tried a tougher diet and program 5 years back with a die hard work out friend... but the cost of food and time was more then my life style atm will allow. and things havent changed. i cant eat 8 times a day, i could try 4.. maybe 5 if i brought some protein shakes and more oatmel to work (iv sorta started doing that anyway)

i only do about a mile jog,
the rest of the 20-25 minutes is;

push-ups/ benches
crunches
bicep curls
calf raises
and a lift only using my trapezius

i usualy do all of them about 3sets of 15-20 each

i dont bring my muscles to exagertated failure even though i hear this is important for effective bulk

maybe ill rotate more and start hitting that harder though. i suppose i could really nail like this

benchs, trapezius and biceps friday night
calves and crunches saturday afternoon

this would make me feel like im wasteing the weekday. what would i do inbetween? just some jogging for 10 mins?

i havent weighed myself recently but iv always been around the 125 area. im guessing im at 130 from the lil weight i got during work. and i would say im just hitting 5% body fat . im 5' 8'' but atleast im not the skinniest guy at my work.

breakbeatz2

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject:  

Honestly, you will never bulk up with that routine. You need to be serious about diet. I work 8-5 and I bring 2 meal replacement shakes to work to eat before and after my lunch. I eat a breakfast of 2 cups oats, 8 egg whites, 22g whey protein before I leave for work. By the time I get home I only need 4 more meals. If you can't get 8 meals try to hit at least 6. Your post workout shake is by far the most important "meal" of the day, drink a shake of 40-50g protein, 80-100g dextrose.

Also, 15-20 reps is way too much, aim for the 4-8 rep range, and lift each set to failure or past failure. Lifting heavier is also much more fun IMO.

push ups aren't going to make you grow, not enough weight.
bench is good
crunches aren't needed for a guy 125-130 lbs, I'm sure your abs look fine, concentrate on more important things.
bicep curls are good, I would suggest 3 sets hammer curls 3 sets straight bar curls, and 3 of whatever else you want to do for a bicep workout (preachers are my favorite to do last)
calf raises aren't a high priority, work with compound leg movements - squats are best, or leg presses for convenience.

I don't see any excercises for triceps, back, legs or shoulders. It's pretty hard for you to get a body part to grow if you don't get the support muscles to grow, and you're only working half of your body. Back is a huge muscle group. I know you're thinking "who cares about back, no girls chack out a guys back'" but it will give your whole body the V shape you want and back excercises work biceps too. Working out your back will also help your bench press quite a bit.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a jerk but you should give your workout routine a complete overhaul. Try reading a workout message board, the advice you will get there will help you out a ton. I like anabolic review board best, it's a steroid based site but they give the best workout/diet advice I've seen too. I originally went there when I was super thin, and I thought I would try steroids, but after reading the advice they had on workout and diet, I stayed natural because my results were good enough for me that way.

Also, heres a link to a ton of excercises you can check out to get your form down right.

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exercise1.htm

I can help you with an exact routine if you want to let me know the days and times you have free.
Chewie

16.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject:  

breakbeatz2 wrote:
Cardio first thing in morning on an empty to burn stored fat rather than carbs. You can work out on the same day.

I strongly disagree with this. You've been fasting all through the night, and your body needs fuel. It takes your body much more work to maintain muscle instead of fat, so if you do cardio on an empty stomach, you're likely to go into a catabolic state. This question gets asked repeatedly on the bodybuilding forum I'm a member of, and it always gets rejected harshly.

breakbeatz2

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject:  

AM cardio is shown to have a preference for using FFA's from adipose tissue for energy. You really think that if one follows proper nutriton that an extra 45min in hte morning is going to catabolize and detroy ones muscle? This is just common sense if you are that catabolic you are doing something very very wrong.

It's not about that one meal. its about your whole nutritional protocol. If all is well with the rest of your diet, and the cardio that you do is sufficient there is no reason why you will lose muscle as a result of doing am cardio.

At least that's what the board I read advocates.

If you need energy, drink a coffee or take some ephedrine before the cardio.
Chewie

16.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject:  

well...my board can kick your boards ass!!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

GODZ!

BNet Acct/Realm: ECWK
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject:  

well, ive actually started doing workouts. mon/wed/friday and swim laps on tuesdays thursdays. just wanted to say thanks for dropping info.
Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject:  

uh oh.. ok so i picked up some heavy weights and im not sure what to do now...

doing about 120lbs lifts with my shoulders.. (works the trapezius) and my fingers suddenly got bloody pops inside them. weird rossy bloody stain broozes in them

if i cut down on the weight im not hitting failiure by rep 8
but the weight is stressing out my fingers too much...

what should i do?

breakbeatz2

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject:  

I would ask a trainer at your gym, my guess is it's no big deal and you can keep lifting, but that's just a guess.
B[x]

BNet Acct/Realm: Retired
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject:  

You're getting blood blisters from doing shoulder shrugs. It's not surprising - what you're doing is basically pinching your skin extremely hard. Try adjusting your grip so that your skin doesn't fold between your palm and the bar. If that doesn't work, I think hand straps might do the trick. I don't use them though so I can't say how effective they are. My hands are calloused enough from years of handball that I don't get blood blisters easily.

[Important Links]
breakbeatz2

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject:  

I always get it real bad on my shoulders when I do calf raises. If it's the same thing that I get (my guess is that it is) then it's no big deal.

You probably use much higher weight for shoulder shrugs than other dumbell excercises right?
Chewie

16.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject:  

I got the exact same thing after doing shrugs for the first time about a month ago. I went to the doctor, he just said its a ruptured vessel in the skin or fat...its really painful for the first day or two, but it went away in about 3 days.

B[x]

BNet Acct/Realm: Retired
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject:  

Yeah, just shrug it off (haha, couldn't resist) and continue with the workout routine.

[Important Links]
Page 3 of 8 [114 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: