LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue May 14, 2024 6:27 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
weight lifting
Page 1 of 8 [114 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject:  weight lifting  

ok im gonna do it (again). i will join a 24hr fitness and go 3days/week after work

iv been told alot and reading about how i need to do small reps (6-8) of alot of weight untill my muscles are fatigued and then resting about 3mins then doing again. focusing on a different part each day, about 45mins a workout.

along with eating 6 times a day with a total of 2 quarts of liquid this consitant regiment is supposed to alow me to put on some weight where i want it in about 3 months.

but one of my friends is saying that this muscle building techqnie (that i have heard from alot of differebnt people) is actually not what trainers recomend. and is somewhat detrimental.

is there anyone else who has a hard time gaining weight where they want it? anyone had any sucess?

its this site that i found one day that is making me try it (again)
http://www.skinnyguy.net/

about 3 friends so far who goto the gym say the same thing this guy says. what do u think?

just shdw

BNet Acct/Realm: US WEST [NL]
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject:  

well ive been doing weights for about a year now and i'm only 16. ive read a fair couple of guides on how to get the most out of your muscles.

theres 2 types of muscles primary twitch muscles and secondary twitch muscles. doing every day tasks does not build muscle becuase your only exercising the primary type.

to get bigger muscles your going to have to break the barrier between these 2 types, its a different weight for each person.

i started of small, doing 6 kilos per arm, now i'm doing atleast 12 per arm. theres different techniques for different muscle groups.

some things to know: running and jogging changes bulk muscle or impact muscle into endurance muscle which is smaller but requires less maintanence. if you run or jog when building muscle nothing will happen, they wont get any bigger at all because they cancle each other out pretty much.

some techniques that are good: push ups, and then 2 fingered push ups if you want to increase your hands crushing ability. umm, benching builds your triceps alot. then theres the deadlift hich pretty much screws your back if you do it wrong so i suggest you dont do this becuase 1 its lame and 2 it ruins your back.

i only really work the upper part of my body (chest, arms, abs sometimes) my hourly routine involves: stretching then pushups, one armed push ups with a 12 kilo weight in the other hand switching arms when you get tired, a big spring thing i use to work my man boobs, a 20 kilo bar i use to work my arms just lifting pretty much while standing upright, then separate hand weights 10 kilos each just pumping until you get tired, to work abs do some extended L or V sits. to do triceps i do pushups but then the other way around if that makes sense. and usually finish of with the punching bag.

thats about it, the bigger you want them the heavier weights you choose, it takes a while maybe a week of constant workouts for your body to get used to heavier weights and you will probably injure urself like ive done so many times, lol.

but yea, good on ya mate.
ThatGuy

BNet Acct/Realm: MONTREAL YAA! Quit d2
5.36 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject:  

Remember always to do a little warm-up (jumping jacks, jogging in one place) to get the blood moving, THEN strentch, THEN work out. Oh and also work on exercises that exercise mainly large muscles primarily first, like the squat and the bench press. Because if you work on your arms at the beginning, your arms will be too tired to hold the barbell up on the bench, and you won't get an effective workout. Also remember to do aerobic exercise and/or jogging/running to keep the weight off.

I'm just spitting out knowledge I know right now, but I've joined a weight club as well =)

Oh also, stretch AFTER you work out too, it really helps. And don't work out consecutive days, the body needs rest!

VoicesLLD

BNet Acct/Realm: Recovering WoW addict.
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject:  

iv heard it generally takes 1 day for the muscles that you have broken, to regenerate. so maybe work your upper body 1 day, and your lower body the next.

miataspeeder

BNet Acct/Realm: Arkansas USEast NL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject:  

I use to lift weights a lot before I got married. I read as much as I could about it. Here are a few tips.

The body has 2 types of fibers. Fast twitch and slow twitch. Think of fast twitch as a sprinter very fast and explosive. Think of slow twitch as a marathon runner slow but steady. In order to work both types you need heavy weight low reps and light weight high reps.

Also when you first start to lift weights I recommend you do things like bench press, squat, deadlift, dips, chins and military presses. All of these are mulit joint exercises which work more then one muscle group at one time. These exercise also let you life the most weight.

Never do things like flies, concentration curls are cable curls until you have some mass to sculpt first.

I weighed like 150 in the 12th grade and started working out seriously after graduation. I ate 2 pb&j sandwiches twice a day and had a big glass of milk with them. I went from 150 to 220 in about 3 years mostly muscle. All my friend thought I was on steroids. I also drank two 900 calorie shakes everyday.

Some more advice is never being discouraged with how much weight you can lift. As long as steadily increase your weight you will be fine. Also keep a freaking journal I am amazed at all the people who could not tell me what exercises they did at the gym yesterday.

What I did was try a lot of different exercises and see which ones made me sore. Just because Arnold did bench presses does not mean you have too.
I can give out some more trainning advice when I get more time.

blizz99

BNet Acct/Realm: US East, Classic
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject:  

miataspeeder wrote:
Just because Arnold did bench presses does not mean you have too.

u mean arnold schwarzenegger? if u do, think about the young arnold vs. the old....o.O

those muscles could not keep foreverrr!!

from my lack of knowledge, if u swim, thoses muscls could keep in shape for a VERY LONG time?????

u know, swimming could excerise your whole body without being overdoes your upper body nor your lower body??? Confused
AntiTyrant

BNet Acct/Realm: USEast - NL *kracked
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject:  

shdw_DeathAdder wrote:

some things to know: running and jogging changes bulk muscle or impact muscle into endurance muscle which is smaller but requires less maintanence. if you run or jog when building muscle nothing will happen, they wont get any bigger at all because they cancle each other out pretty much.

I'm curious about lifting wieghts myself... this would be the best thing to do if you just want to be more fit, rather than bigger, right?

and just lifting wieghts with the right technique (i'll ask my friend that has a good trainer about that) if i want to be bigger?

finnally, running and such just makes the muscel you do have more effective over a period of time or does it make you stronger as well?

10 cool points to DnB for the Sig! thanks
giantsquid

BNet Acct/Realm: USwest [L]
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject:  

AntiTyrant wrote:

finnally, running and such just makes the muscel you do have more effective over a period of time or does it make you stronger as well?

If you run a lot your legs will get stronger. The main benifits are extra endurance, improved heart and lung health, etc. If you want to just get strength and size, lifting weights will be faster than running, but the best thing to do would be to do both.

There are several good sites with info and forums about this type of thing. I think one of the good ones is at http://www.bodybuilding.net , if I remember correctly.

just shdw

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject:  

if you run/jog you will become more fit, swimming is also good but they all prevent you from putting any bulk muscle on, your body just negates it. squats are good for big thigh muscles and ive found out that doing 40 kilos 30 times is better then doing say 50 kilos 20 times when your on a bench or whatnot.
B[x]

BNet Acct/Realm: Retired
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject:  

The hardest part about going to the gym is physically going to the gym. Once you're actually there and you fall into your routine, you're fine. I've always been interested in fitness and finally got myself into some semblance of a work out routine during my freshman year of college (last year). Hopefully this year I'll be able to iron out a more efficient routine.

Anyway, your best bet is to do something like Jason suggested and work different muscle groups on different days, thus giving those muscles time to rest as well as repair themselves. You'd have something like this:
Monday: Chest, Shoulders, and Arms
Wednesday: Legs and Back
Thursday: Chest, Shoulders, and Arms
Friday: Legs and Back
I always ran a mile, stretched, and did Ab work before each work-out session just to get the blood flowing. I also heard somewhere that if you're looking to do Ab work, it's best to do it after your cardio. I'm not sure if it's true but I always felt as if my stomach burned more after my Ab work if I did it right after I ran.

If you're going to eat six meals a day (more than three is always a good idea), make sure you're not eating huge meals. For example, if you normally eat x amount per meal during a 3-meal day, eat .5x amount per meal during a 6-meal day. I know it sounds like common sense but I've seen people mess it up and gain too much body fat like that.

Aside from how many times you eat, when it comes to what you eat, the basic guidelines are to lower the fat, lower the carbs, and up the protein. I personally try to abstain from added sugar as much as possible. I see added sugar as a useless food substance that does nothing for you. Ditch it. The easiest way to avoid a lot of added sugar is to drink Diet. You can easily drink 500+ calories a day from just added sugar. Go Diet whenever you can. It might taste like ass for the first week or two but now I actually prefer Diet Caffeine Free Coke to regular.

To gain mass, you read right - more weight and less reps. What I did last year was to do say, 3+ sets of each exercise. Each time did I did a set, I would raise the weight and lower the reps. For my shoulder shrugs, I would start off light at 100 lbs and 14 reps and work my way to 180 lbs and 6 to 8 reps (depending on how I felt) over 4 sets. A good rule of thumb is that if you can do 10 reps with a specific weight, you can move up to a heavier weight.

Anyway, if you're (or anyone else reading this) new to the gym scene, here's a good site to get you started when it comes to what exercises work which muscle groups and how to properly execute them.

[Important Links]
just shdw

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject:  

also have a bowl of cereal and milk or something before each workout becuase carbs and protein are essential for muscle building.
B[x]

BNet Acct/Realm: Retired
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject:  

shdw_DeathAdder wrote:
also have a bowl of cereal and milk or something before each workout becuase carbs and protein are essential for muscle building.

Carbohydrates do not help build muscle, only protein does. Carbs are more suited for endurance trainers like distance runners because carbs are slow burning. Also, I personally don't like eating less than 2 hours before I work out unless it's something small like a handful of something - I can't work out on a full stomach.

[Important Links]
Chewie

BNet Acct/Realm: AWOL
16.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject:  

I've been working out for about 2-3 years now. Right now, I'm just maintaining what I've got, since I'm kinda busy this summer, but in the fall semester, I plan to go early morning 5 days a week. If you're just starting out, you'll be happy with results since beginners get huge gains; when I started, I benched around 155, and about a year later I was up to 210. However, just be patient; it does take a long time to see results, generally.

Also, what are your goals? Gaining weight? Losing weight? Bulking? Cutting? Your diet/exercise program will differ depending on your goal.

3 days a week is a good start. Your muscles need 48-72 hours to rest completely, so don't work out the same muscle twice in the same week (in your case). I'd suggest going Chest/Triceps, Back/Biceps, Legs/Shoulders. Throw in Abs one of the days. If your goal is to gain weight, then do minimal cardio. If you want to see really good gains, I'd suggest looking into buying some Whey; drink that about 30-60 minutes after your workout so your body doesn't go into a catabolic state.

I'll add more later.

Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject:  

defiently want weight/bulk atm.. the cardio can come latter. im 130lbs and looking to gain about 20-30 in chest/arms and a some in my calfs/abs

i hear that sorta advice alot so thats what ill be doing;

3 times a week, 60mins, rotating areas, heavish weight, lots of water, lots of meals (protiens mostly), whatever this Whey thing is i hear about it so i should get some too.

started yesturday with just some simple stuff to build up to it., crunches, squats and push-ups, and yeah im soar so its gotta be doing something.... next comes some stairs and actual weights and a nailed down routine.

Chewie

BNet Acct/Realm: AWOL
16.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject:  

Page 1 of 8 [114 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: