LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue May 14, 2024 6:10 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
enlisting
Page 1 of 7 [94 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
zarc

BNet Acct/Realm: USEast NonLadder *fyarbeast USEast Ladder *fyarbeast1
-2.48 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject:  enlisting  

anyone ever serve before other than diplo? I am very much so considering enlisting for a lot of reasons and need some folks to talk to about it.

Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject:  

I considered it long ago, and I spent 15 months in Kuwait working with the soldiers quite a bit. I also have several friends who are serving and have served. I'm certainly not the authority, but I might be able to help out if no one else steps up.

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
Torrent

BNet Acct/Realm: Torrent@USEast
13.37 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject:  

im guessing youre an american...and that being the case you should think about it politically (i assume if youve put enough thought into it to ask for opinions then youve done this already). do you support bush, the war in iraq, etc?

I don't want a cycle of recycled revenge

I don't wanna follow Death And All of His Friends
http://lld101.com/viewtopic.php?t=44473 (for my own reference)
skulls

BNet Acct/Realm: Gun Barrel, Tx. Never pick a fight with an old man, he will jus kill you.
11.97 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject:  

I might be of some help..US Navy for 4 years..I enlisted..

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.

ISO:VLLD
8min dmg jewels
dual dmg jewels
+10 min dmg eth replinish throwing spears
eth repair armor

ISO:LLD
dual dmg jewels
eth repair armor
hvy min dmg eth replinish throwing spears
+3ww barb helm
when is this thread closing?
Wank

BNet Acct/Realm: Imp StormsRaider
57.98 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject:  

My brother is in the Navy currently.

I'm personally looking at the army.

Quote:
im guessing youre an american...and that being the case you should think about it politically (i assume if youve put enough thought into it to ask for opinions then youve done this already). do you support bush, the war in iraq, etc?

That has little to do in that decision; at least for me, regardless who the president is, you do it for protecting the freedom of the citizens your country. Or cuz your poor and you cant afford another option Smile

Equipped Lvl 30's:
Froggy-Leap Attacker, Vidala- Bow, Starly-Wind, Haunter-Bonenec, Dragonair-Fissure, Vileplume-Psn Jav, Clefairy- Wc

http://img104.imagevenue.com/loc1100/th_30982_ImpAvatar_122_1100lo.jpg(didnt want to lose that link Surprised
Torrent

BNet Acct/Realm: Torrent@USEast
13.37 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject:  

Wank wrote:

Quote:

That has little to do in that decision; at least for me, regardless who the president is, you do it for protecting the freedom of the citizens your country. Or cuz your poor and you cant afford another option Smile

youre missing the point. the war was a misunderstanding in the first place...do you really want to go to a place where you have a high risk of being killed by stupid suiciding fanatic muslims who think theyre fighting for a cause? the fact is that we made conditions in the middle east worse. i wouldnt want to have my name on that.

I don't want a cycle of recycled revenge

I don't wanna follow Death And All of His Friends
http://lld101.com/viewtopic.php?t=44473 (for my own reference)
Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject:  

Torrent wrote:

youre missing the point. the war was a misunderstanding in the first place...do you really want to go to a place where you have a high risk of being killed by stupid suiciding fanatic muslims who think theyre fighting for a cause? the fact is that we made conditions in the middle east worse. i wouldnt want to have my name on that.

YOU'RE missing the point. You don't know shit about Muslims, you don't know shit about why people serve in the military, and you don't know... okay, you're spot on about how much we've messed up the Middle East. But more to the point: this is not a thread about the politics of serving in the military. Fyar will make up his own mind about his politics, without the need for some non-American to tell him what you think of us.

Wank - may I ask why you're thinking of the Army? Let me suggest to you that the Army is not necessarily the best enlistment choice. (Most Army people will tell you this.) Let me strongly encourage you to consider the Air Force. Not only is it a MUCH more pleasant boot camp/service, but unlike the Army you are much more likely to learn a useful skill from your time there. The Army is mostly about fighting, which is not really useful if you're not trying to kill someone. The Air Force (and Navy) have much more in the way of skills training.

Plus, and I'm being dead serious here... Air Force chicks? Like 10 times hotter than Army women on the average. No lies, bro. I loved going to the Air Force base in Kuwait, because there was more talent there then in the other six military bases I worked at. And you can bet that most of them are average or better in the brains department, too.

Wank

57.98 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject:  

Torrent wrote:
Wank wrote:

Quote:

The emotional reasons for the war was a misunderstanding. When I sign up for the army, I will sign up to go wherever my country needs me.

And what leads you to believe that any human could suicide bomb without having a cause?

Situations in the Middle East can't get any better, that doesn't mean you can't try. Try sharing that philosophy with somebody who just contracted a terminal illness, or much less if that person was you. If you were real into it, you'd know that the Middle East will/has always have/had problems because of the issues with the Promise land.

Edit:
Quote:
The Army is mostly about fighting, which is not really useful if you're not trying to kill someone.

Thats the thing, the more I think about it, the more I want to do that. That of course doesn't sell well with the parents though.

I will say it isn't set in stone yet, and I know it's far from the wisest of choices. Depending on what I want to do career wise, so far I've thought of a whole Army career, AP Us History Teacher, or Alg II teacher. I haven't really planned it out to much, I'm a procrastinator and I'm 16, so I'm pretty far from a definitive decision.

Equipped Lvl 30's:
Froggy-Leap Attacker, Vidala- Bow, Starly-Wind, Haunter-Bonenec, Dragonair-Fissure, Vileplume-Psn Jav, Clefairy- Wc

http://img104.imagevenue.com/loc1100/th_30982_ImpAvatar_122_1100lo.jpg(didnt want to lose that link Surprised
zarc

-2.48 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject:  

everyone says to go with navy or airforce. I am leaning a lot more towards navy because 1. its in my blood 2. it seems to have better career options and 3. I like the ocean.

Everyone keeps saying these things about the middle east and blah blah blah, but in all honesty, i probably won't go if i'm in the navy. I will more then likely get stationed at different posts around the world and get to experience new things from new cultures. I want to meet interesting people and get awesome stories. I want to become better disciplined and a better person. I do not want to fight some war where i will just be a bullet catcher. I want to use the government as a tool to help me accomplish my goals. The navy will provide me food, shelter, and money for as long as i want to be in. And if after two years of service i don't like it, then i don't enlist again. If i do like it, i will stay with it until i feel like settling down.

Theres a lot i have been thinking about, and it really seems like a pretty good choice.

Wank

57.98 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject:  

Quote:
The navy will provide me food, shelter, and money for as long as i want to be in.

Oh you get a lot more then that, even after you've served. They help you with your house, car, 100% free ride in college; assuming you don't just blow it off and do nothing, and other things.

I think the only part of bootcamp that was hard for my brother was coping with the fact that hes clear across the country from anyone he knows, and he moved from Texas to Illinois (in January) and thats quite a bit of a weather change.

For those who don't know, Texas lows in the winter barely hit the 30's, very rarely does it drop below that, in Illinois it can get in the negatives.

Quote:
Everyone keeps saying these things about the middle east and blah blah blah, but in all honesty, i probably won't go if i'm in the navy.

Very true.

Equipped Lvl 30's:

Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject:  

I knew some navy guys before - they really liked the service because they got to travel the world and have some amazing experiences. And when they finished their tours, people respected them for it. Everyone I know in the Navy has really gotten a lot out of it.

yarly
Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject:  

No matter what branch of the military you're in you'll be traveling the world. And don't think Navy guys don't end up in the Middle East; there were *plenty* of Navy guys doing crap guard duty around the Army bases (because the Army and Marines were busy).

I'd say Navy or Air Force are your best bets. Army is kinda blah, and don't even think of joining the Marines unless you have something to prove, and are crazy.

Wank wrote:

Oh you get a lot more then that, even after you've served. They help you with your house, car, 100% free ride in college

Uh... did someone you know in the service tell you this, or did you read this somewhere. This is not what I've heard/been told by actual soldiers.

zarc

-2.48 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject:  

Wank wrote:
Quote:
The navy will provide me food, shelter, and money for as long as i want to be in.

Oh you get a lot more then that, even after you've served.

oh i know, i was just listing a few basic things.

DiPLOMAT

12.37 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject:  

just through experience...

1. i didnt give a shit about the current politics, it has little to no effect on the common enlistee, everyone deploys regardless of who is in office... i joined for my country and for me.. not neccesarily in that order

2. army is on 15 month deployments with terrible accomodations over there... the army does not take care of their troops. the marines take a bit more care of their troops but their deployments are usually 6 months deployed, 6 months home, consecutively through your whole enlistment, unless on speacial duty, not sure about the navy, usaf is anywhere from 2 months to 8 months, depending on your speacialty... on average af personnel spends 4 months every 1.5 years

3. navy spends 6 months on a boat.. i hope you love the ocean that much.

4. college. +++

5. OJT experience +++++

6. you never have to worry about not having a place to sleep or food to eat.

7. dont let basic sway your options.. its so brief... and has no actual relativity to your actual career or what military life is about.. it jus teaches you by the book BASICS.. hence.. basic training (speaking on an af point of view)

8. whatever you choose to do.. know this.. usmc/army's prime speacialty is COMBAT, your chosen speacialty is secondary... usaf and usn is opposite, your speacialty comes before combat.

9. if you choose usaf or usn.. dont sign a gat damn signature anywhere, until you have a job YOU WANT garunteed! recruiters are souless and have to meet a quota.... they will stick u with the shaft if you let them... know what job you want before u sign...

i know im not always the most mature person on this site.. but i know my shit about the recruiting process... i can give u a detailed explanation of most jobs in the usaf... i love babbling about it, so if you consider af... let me know what interests you and i'll point you in the right direction

Dao Jones wrote:
Wank wrote:

Oh you get a lot more then that, even after you've served. They help you with your house, car, 100% free ride in college

Uh... did someone you know in the service tell you this, or did you read this somewhere. This is not what I've heard/been told by actual soldiers.

maybe you mean the housing allowance... they pay you a certain ammount a month for housing, if u live off base... wether its enough for your rent or not is up to you and the place you choose to live.. speaking on behalf of the airforce... they are currenty 100% on college tuition for active duty members.. but thats not to any college... its to specified colleges in the region of your post... as far as cars go... LMAO! im still carless.

zarc

-2.48 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject:  

usmc/army are 100% out of the question. I am looking more towards navy to be honest. What i really would like to do is something involving photography, video, or journalism. Everyone says that if thats what i want to do, then i should go air force. What do you think?

Page 1 of 7 [94 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: