LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri May 31, 2024 2:07 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Should Iran be allowed to produce nuclear power?
Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next

Yes
44%
 44%  [ 8 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 18

Serbia

BNet Acct/Realm: *Serbia WL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject:  Should Iran be allowed to produce nuclear power?
Subject description: french class

ok, im having a debate for my french class on the following topic:

im suppose to be against it and i need some help with arguments, also if u could use some references to other sites that would help, or other viable information.

It would help if we could have a debate on it here (im noob so dont attack me, i need help from u guys Smile )
heprea
pokemon fanatic

BNet Acct/Realm: europe laddars
8.01 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject:  

lol why not? NUKES FOR EVERYONE... *voted yes*

Hong10

BNet Acct/Realm: *QuatroFun *HeLOL / East SC NL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject:  

heprea wrote:
lol why not? NUKES FOR EVERYONE... *voted yes*

vouch :3
Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject:  

You have the easier position to argue, Hauradrims. Just hit Google and read any news from America regarding Iran. I won't even bother citing any, because EVERY White House press release on the subject is full of reasons (true or fabricated) why Iran shouldn't be allowed nuclear technology.

The first argument, of course, is that technology for light water power-producing reactors is nevertheless a step toward the heavy water plants needed for acquiring nuclear weaponry*. And regardless of what Iran says publicly, they most definitely want nuclear weapons. Everyone is looking at North Korea, India and Pakistan; three countries that acquired nuclear weapons in defiance of non-proliferation treaties (to be fair, India and Pakistan never signed any), and all three countries have only seen their global profile rise since they got the bomb. Additionally, it is a poorly kept secret that Israel has nuclear bombs, and you can bet that the Arab and Muslim states are scrambling to provide a counter to that power. (Most Arabs don't like Iran, who are Persians, but they like them more than the Jews.)

Additionally, Iran is a known weapons technology proliferator. And unlike North Korea, which is essentially a rogue state isolated in a region with stronger countries and fairly secure borders, Iran is in the middle of a region with tenuous alliances, several open conflicts/wars, and loose borders for illegal weapon technology to move into the hands of radicals that might actually use them.

*Some people will counter that light and heavy water reactors are two entirely different technologies. And they are correct - to a point. But saying that a light water reactor would provide no insight for building a heavy is like saying building a motorcycle shares nothing in common with building a car.

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
sPiN
The tool formerly known as Tool

BNet Acct/Realm: Quit D2.
22.16 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject:  

No, nobody should.

heprea
pokemon fanatic

BNet Acct/Realm: europe laddars
8.01 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject:  

Tool wrote:
No, nobody should.

that will never happen

Hellfireclanx

11.73 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject:  

yeah, I don't see why not

dragonfire_god

BNet Acct/Realm: US East NL SC
2.22 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject:  

Why shouldn't they be "allowed" to have them?
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Its Not The Strong Who Survive But The Survivors Who Are Strong.

The insanity of my sin bodes within.
AmishSpeedGoat

BNet Acct/Realm: Yes
38.99 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject:  

We have them.. why shouldnt they?
Goky

1.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject:  

Tool wrote:
No, nobody should.

Nuclear power or nuclear weapons?

I'm hoping you aren't one of the crazy hippies who thinks that anything associated with "nuclear" or "radiation" is of the devil.

Interesting fact: Coal burning power plants actually produce three times the amount of radiation produced by nuclear power plants. Of course, they also cause huge carbon dioxide emissions, SOx gases, (which are responsible for enhanced acid rain deposition) and huge amounts of airborne particulates.

An interesting question!:
Which one of these things would expose you to the most radiation?
A) Clinging onto the fence of a nuclear power plant for 1 week
B) Lying on the beach at Rio De Janeiro for 12 hours
C) Being in close proximity to one person for 12 months
D) They are all the same

If you answered D, good for you! All people have naturally occurring radioactive isotopes in their bodies (potassium-40, carbon-14, chlorine-35 to name a few). The sand at the beaches of Rio De Janeiro has a high concentration of radioactive thorium-90 based salts, and sunlight emits large amounts of radiation.

Sorry, I'm just ranting. There was some big protest at my school because a nuclear powerplant was going to use an interstate that travels near campus as part of the route to dispose of their workers clothing. It's just mind boggling how big of a freak-out the idea of anything "nuclear" caused, given the large amounts of much more hazardous chemicals we're exposed to daily.

It's that same kind of hysteria that is responsible for the fact that "Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Imaging" is actually just called "Magnetic Resonance Imaging" (MRI).

In summary, most "environmentalists" have no idea what they're talking about and just latch on to whatever cool trendy thing someone has recently made a movie about.

Last edited by Goky on Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
AmishSpeedGoat

BNet Acct/Realm: Yes
38.99 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject:  

Its not how much radiation is givin out its how its disposed of. If you dont think nuclear plants pose as much threat as a coal plant then you have obviously never heard of Cher Noble (Sp? I used to be able to spell it..).

Sunlight emits radiation but you forgot to state that so much of it is filtered out that it doesnt pose a threat, if any real amount of gamma was in earth we would all be dead.

I dont think standing next to someone would kill you due to radiation poisoning. But hey, it could happen. I guess. maybe..

And dont say that environmentalists have no idea what they are talking about. They do there homework about these things.. The USA alone is one if not the worst country when it comes to the environment. Do you have any idea the impact on the environment a nuclear power plant would have on any area? Obviously not alot. Im no tree hugger but I do care for the planet I live on. Its the only one I have.

(However im not saying Nuclear power is bad, it does alot of good. I just dont like the effects it does. But since we use it then everyone should use it. But I would like it more if no one did.)
Shieron
The Man

BNet Acct/Realm: USEast:*Shieron, *Shieron2
8.99 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject:  

Whoops! GAMMA RAYS...my bad..

Last edited by Shieron on Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Goky

1.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject:  

Rhamax wrote:
Its not how much radiation is givin out its how its disposed of. If you dont think nuclear plants pose as much threat as a coal plant then you have obviously never heard of Cher Noble (Sp? I used to be able to spell it..).

Waste disposal is obviously a concern, but there are some pretty useful containing vessels, areas, and techniques out there (like transmutation) to decay long half-lived isotopes into something else. I'd say it still beats coal burnings disposal method (the atmosphere!). Comparitively, nuclear power produces a very small amount of waste relative to other fuel based power methods.

Chernobyl is an example of what happens as a result of bad engineering and bad maintance causing something to go horribly wrong. It doesn't reflect upon nuclear power in general. There's been plenty of industrial accidents in the past; they are awful and suck, but Chernobyl isn't a magical lone fairy. (Read: Seveso, Cubatao, Ludwigshafen, Oppau. None of which involve nuclear power, and were arguably more damaging than Chernobyl)

Rhamax wrote:
Sunlight emits radiation but you forgot to state that so much of it is filtered out that it doesnt pose a threat, if any real amount of gamma was in earth we would all be dead.

I actually messed up with the "gamma" part, that actually is for the beta decay of the K-40 and Ca-40 in our bodies, sorry. Sunlights radiation, is mainly in the form of UV light. A lot of it is filtered out, but a lot of it obviously still makes it through. The whole ozone layer issue doesn't help much either. Even though we've slowly eliminated CFC's, there are still other chemicals in use that act as ozone depletion catalysts. A lot of them have insanely long atmospheric lifetimes, so even as we phase them out, they're still doing damage. Goodbye ozone, hello cancer!

Rhamax wrote:
I dont think standing next to someone would kill you due to radiation poisoning. But hey, it could happen. I guess. maybe..

Well, that was kind of my point. It isn't going to kill you. People for the most part are pretty ignorant of how much radiation we're bombarded with every single day (hope you don't have orange Fiestaware plates!). Yet for some reason, nuclear power plants, which emit a similar amount of radiation relative to...living, are demonized because OMGZ THE RADIATION!!

Rhamax wrote:
And dont say that environmentalists have no idea what they are talking about. They do there homework about these things.. The USA alone is one if not the worst country when it comes to the environment.

That's why I put environmentalists in quotes. Actual environmentalists are awesome. I'm talking about your generic college aged neo-hippy convinced he's going to change the world with the "Go Green" sticker on the back of his 84 Volvo.

Rhamax wrote:
Do you have any idea the impact on the environment a nuclear power plant would have on any area?Obviously not alot.

I'm not sure, tell me!

Rhamax wrote:
Im no tree hugger but I do care for the planet I live on. Its the only one I have.

Me too!

Last edited by Goky on Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mimes

BNet Acct/Realm: e/sc/l Mimes., Mimes-LLD, Justin27 and 1338
34.96 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject:  

At the beginning of the thread i think some people were thinking nuclear weapons, not nuclear power plants...

I dont see why they shouldnt be able to have nuclear power plants. I mean...we do, and so do a lot of other countries. Why should nuclear power plants be strictly allowed to only those countries deemed "safe" be able to produce another form of power.
Icywarz

BNet Acct/Realm: West Ladder
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject:  

nukes no, nuclear power yes.

It doesnt matter who has nukes anyways. I mean if chinas launching at say the Us. the Us arent just going to stand by and take it. They'll launch theirs. Then every other country and their dog with start attacking with sticks stones and nukes.

But nuclear power is ALOT better then any other power source worth using. Get real we wont live of the sun unless somehow they harvested the energy in space. So until 3425 (or the death of the earth, whichever comes first) We should use the cleanest possible source. Nuclear seems the most obvious answer. Anyone know of or remember the big nexon oil tanker spill around alaska/east coast of canada? It STILL has lasting effects. Nulcear would have long lasting effects as well but nothing so widespread. It killed off an entire species all on its own. So I say let them build their powerplants but just watch them. I mean, continue watching them.

Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: