LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:30 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion
Testing: Level 18 Psychic Hammer Assassin
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
xshadow1

BNet Acct/Realm: USEast Ladder
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject:  Testing: Level 18 Psychic Hammer Assassin
Subject description: Not for LLD101, but against random pub LLDs

Inspiration

Thanks to ghettoboyjmb for inspiring me with this post.

Introduction

Now, I know from the start that this build will be ineffective against many serious characters because the skill damage is low and easily negated. The objective of this build is to create a semi-effective build against random pub duelers.

From my experience thus far, Psychic Hammer casted at 10 frames can be a serious nuisance. The low skill damage (24-34 physical/magic at level 18) makes it difficult to kill, especially against characters with fair amounts of DR/MDR (e.g. characters with dual Nagelrings or Full Sigon's set) or enough replenish life to negate the rate at which you deal damage. But the knockback makes it very difficult for those characters to get close enough to you to deal damage.

Skills

I decided to use a normal-rushed character (21 skill points) -- this is how I allocated them:

18 Psychic Hammer
1 Claw Mastery
1 Burst of Speed
1 Fade

On another character, I wanted to see if Shadow Warrior could be effective and tested:

17 Psychic Hammer
1 Claw Mastery
1 Weapon Block
1 Cloak of Shadows
1 Shadow Warrior

(This variant will be discussed later)

Items

With the equipment below, I hit 105% FCR, which I think is the maximum for a character of this level (without requiring a 20% FCR amulet). According to the tables I use, 102% FCR is required for a 10 frame cast (with an unattainable 174% as the next breakpoint).

Helm: 10% FCR circlet socketed with 2x Perfect Sapphire (ideal would have +1 Shadow Disciplines)

Armor: Stealth runeword (25% FCR, +6 dex)

Weapon: Maelstrom wand (30% FCR)

Shield: Snake's Bone Shield of Deflecting (probably suboptimal -- suggestions wanted)

Gloves: Bloodfist

Belt: 10% FCR (crafted caster belt)

Boots: Treads of Cthon (again, probably suboptimal -- suggestions wanted)

Amulet: 10% FCR (ideally would have +1 Shadow Disciplines)

Rings: 2x 10% FCR/mana

Stats

Strength for gear (30 in this case)
Dex for max block (57 if using a bone shield of deflecting)
Everything else in vitality.

Discussion

The primary build (extra points in Burst of Speed and Fade) seems most effective in the limited testing I've done so far. Shadow Warrior seems very ineffective, due to its inability to hit with its melee attack (though it provides you with additional castings of Psychic Hammer, but the rate at which it casts doesn't really justify using it in my opinion).

Getting optimal skill gear (+1/10% FCR amulet/circlet) would increase the damage to 28-39, which just might allow it to edge out characters with fair amounts of DR and MDR.

I'm trying to think of ways to optimize the shield and boots. Cow King's Boots seems like an obvious addition, requiring only 18 str (low enough to wear with base strength), yet providing 30 FR/W and +20 dex towards max block (with the +6 dex from Stealth, you would only need 11 points in dex to get max block if using a bone shield of deflecting).

As for the shield, Pelta, Umbral, and Steelclash seem like reasonable choices. I'm not sure max block is needed -- if your enemy can get within striking range despite your hammers, the duel is pretty much lost anyway.

Suggestions and comments would be appreciated.
Sad

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject:  

i have one (or had one. shes being taken apart atm). Although i went to lvl 20 with my build. (originally lvl 19 for my belt, then lvl 20 for sanders boots). with my build i opted for claw block over a shield. mainly for more dmg and the chance to block magic dmg. and since i didnt need the dex for block sanders boots became the better choice for the increased frw and +str.

my gear:
2x +1 shadow skill claws
+1 shadow/10 fhr bone helm (2x Perfect Saphire)
Stealth Light Plate
Angelic Ammy+Ring
Rare 10fcr/+4dex/+29mana/resist ring
10fcr/17fhr crafted belt
Sanders Boots
Bloodfists

i only hit the 42% fcr bp but it worked well for me. i hit the 86% bp for fhr. had 110% FRW which helped stay out of danger

Charms:
1x 8fhr/mana lc. 38x life scs (ranging from 12-15 life). i hit about 1150 hp.

skills:
20 psychic hammer
7 claw block (with +3 skills grants a lvl 10 claw block for 50% Block)
3 burst of speed

Mana is a huge issue. either carry a bunch of mana charms or mana pot (which i chose to do)

xshadow1

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject:  

I experimented a bit with a couple modifications. First, I thought that having a %to cast Amplify Damage claw would help increase the mediocre damage of Psychic Hammer -- so I added the following gear:

(Recall, I'm testing for a level 18 PsyHammer Assassin -- equipment types that are not bolded have not changed since the first post.)

Weapon: -- Warrior's Blade Talons of Amplify Damage, socketed with 2 Perfect Amethyst (+356 AR total, 5% chance to cast level 1 Amplify Damage)

Weapon Switch -- 2x +1 Shadow Disciplines claws

Amulet/Rings: Angelic set (+216 AR from each ring)

Armor -- Stealth Quilted Armor (ideal would be Light Plate)

Helm -- 10% FCR circlet socketed with 2x Perfect Sapphire

Shield -- Snake's Bone Shield of Deflecting (socketed with AR jewel)

Belt -- 10% FCR crafted caster belt

Gloves -- Bloodfist

Boots: Cow King's Leathers (+20 dex, minor fire damage)

This setup manages 45% FCR (25 from Stealth, 10 from belt, 10 from helm) which is a 12 frame Psychic Hammer. I was hoping that I could prebuff a level 5 Burst of Speed to get 3.3 attacks per second, get Amplify Damage to cast, then switch weapons and cast Psychic Hammer.

And it didn't work. First of all, I didn't hit regularly enough (with a couple of dex and AR charms, I was able to get to ~1500 AR) which means the Amplify Damage didn't cast regularly. Furthermore, the Amp Damage lasted only 8 seconds, which means the benefit didn't stick around long enough to buff the damage from the primary skill.

I'd have to say that the 10 frame cast version that I outlined in the first post is my favorite version of the character -- I tried substituting gear to increase damage output at the cost of FCR, but it just wasn't as satisfying as hitting the faster breakpoint, even if it did more damage and was more efficient.
BloodRose

BNet Acct/Realm: *Ghettoboyjmb
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject:  

wow i feel so voilated your like exactly copying my build....bone helmet and all thats not right....cant be a little more uniqe???

xshadow1

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:  

ghettoboyjmb wrote:
wow i feel so voilated your like exactly copying my build....bone helmet and all thats not right....cant be a little more uniqe???

First of all, I just saw you mention a level 18 PsyHammer Assassin and I merely sought to create one myself. In your original post you gave no details about skill point allocations or equipment.

Second, our builds differ -- For one thing, I don't use a Bone Helm (that was The_Sad_One -- but his is a level 20 PsyHammer, not 18, so he can't be accused of copying you).

I gave you credit for inspiring me to try a level 18 Psychic Hammer assassin, but everything that I wrote here in posts #1 and #3 was a result of my own calculations, intuition and testing.

In the future, please read before posting.
BloodRose

BNet Acct/Realm: *Ghettoboyjmb
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject:  

im sorry i apologize id only heard that you were trying to copy me from a buddy of mine and if you wanted to build your psy asn you should contact me online i had a few different build ideas id like to help but the way my friend spoke of your disscusion post he said someone is completly copying your asn so once agian i apologize and ctach me online

also at lvl 18 male strom is a cheap way t go....since you have
circs and stealth

my d2 accnt /* GhettoBoyJMB

xshadow1

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject:  

ghettoboyjmb wrote:
im sorry i apologize id only heard that you were trying to copy me from a buddy of mine and if you wanted to build your psy asn you should contact me online i had a few different build ideas id like to help but the way my friend spoke of your disscusion post he said someone is completly copying your asn so once agian i apologize and ctach me online

also at lvl 18 male strom is a cheap way t go....since you have
circs and stealth

my d2 accnt /* GhettoBoyJMB

Apology accepted. I'm very grateful to you for the inspiration, this has been quite an interesting and fun character to play. Very Happy

Maelstrom is the only way to hit the 102% FCR breakpoint at level 18. (If you're not convinced, work it out yourself -- it's very difficult without 20% FCR gear.) I really like having 10 frame cast, even if it means having considerably lower skill damage. From a practical dueling standpoint though, it may be wise to go for 65% FCR (11 frames). It's possible to get +4 skills (2 from claws, 1 from skill/fcr helm, 1 from skill/fcr amulet) while hitting that breakpoint, and the damage will be a lot better (24-34 to 32-44).

Another possibility would be to go to level 25 to use Spectral Shard and other items to get 174% FCR (9 frame cast) -- but at that level it just isn't sexy to be using such an underpowered skill (and your average opponent will gain a lot from the extra levels than you will).
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion
Jump to: