LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:31 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Help getting new Desktop Computer
Page 1 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
craftman_21

BNet Acct/Realm: craftman_21
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject:  Help getting new Desktop Computer  

My old comp is becoming outdated and can barely even play d2. I am looking for a new Comp. I shopped around a few sites and this site seems mostly attuned to my liking. I would like any help or comments on any other ideas or suggestions for prices or layout for a comp. The current computer that i have searched up is From Ibuypower.com

Computer Specs:
------------------------------------------------------
Case: Nzxt Blue Apollo Gaming Tower Case
Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme Processor X6800 (2x 2.93GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1066FSB)
Motherboard: Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB
RAM(Memory): Corsair XMS2 Xtreme w/Heat Spreader 2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module
Graphics Card: Quad SLI 2x Nvidia GeForce 7950X2 1GB w/DVI + TV Out Video
HDD: WD Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 16M Cache 10,000 RPM
Power Supply: Tagan TurboJet 900 Watt Power Supply [Quad SLI Ready]
CD-Rom: Sony Blue DW-G120 Dual Format/Double Layer 16X DVD?R/?RW + CD-R/RW Drive
OS: MS Windows XP Professional Edition w/Service Pack-2
Speakers: Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speakers + Subwoofer
Sound Card: Dolby Digital Surround 7.1 Sound Card
Price: $4,162

For the Things listed this seems Most Reasonable but i could be wrong.

"I was a lost soul til' the day Hip-Hop found me, and I still love her. See, she sorta like my mother, and these beats and rhymes are like my sista's and brotha's."
Goky wrote:
I?m sitting here belittling your brittle visions of ghetto livin with my verbal emissions

EMP

BNet Acct/Realm: sequences (Ladder-USEast)
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject:  

If you're willing to shell out this much money, then why not add a water cooling system to that?

foolZSight

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject:  

buy the hardware and make your own
O_O
its simple and cost efficient

sPiN
The tool formerly known as Tool

BNet Acct/Realm: Quit D2.
22.16 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject:  

No reason to pay that much for any comptuer, 850 bucks was mine and it does everything I could want with no problems.

Goky

1.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject:  

Yeah. A lot of those parts are really unnecessary unless you're going to be doing excessive graphics compiling or coding.

You really have to figure out what you actually are going to realistically need. It'd save you a good 2000 dollars.
craftman_21

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject:  

I forgot to post it but it has Liquid Cololing. I know the Quad Sli and Extreme Editicon Core 2 Duo is excessive but im planning on keeping this comp for 10+ years. Therefore in 10 years if everthing is 20x better this will be baseline standards and i will have gotten plenty of use out of it without shelling out more and more money.During that time i will have performance the whole time i will have it Very Happy

And 1 more reason to have it.

CellFactor.

I've also priced all the parts seperately. It comes otu to 3177.90 Through NewEgg.com
There is 1 problem through that route, im not A+ Certified. Sad
Idk how to build a comp correctly. And i dont know anyone who could build a computer that i would trust with expensive parts.

"I was a lost soul til' the day Hip-Hop found me, and I still love her. See, she sorta like my mother, and these beats and rhymes are like my sista's and brotha's."
Goky wrote:
I?m sitting here belittling your brittle visions of ghetto livin with my verbal emissions

ubermoose
LLD101 Staff

BNet Acct/Realm: Europe
3.49 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Help getting new Desktop Computer  

Computer Specs:
Case: Nzxt Blue Apollo Gaming Tower Case
Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme Processor X6800 (2x 2.93GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1066FSB)
Motherboard: Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB
RAM(Memory): Corsair XMS2 Xtreme w/Heat Spreader 2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module
Graphics Card: Quad SLI 2x Nvidia GeForce 7950X2 1GB w/DVI + TV Out Video Do you need 2?
HDD: WD Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 16M Cache 10,000 RPM 10,000rpm makes the drive a lot more expensive than it needs to be. It also lowers its reliability from what ive heard
Power Supply: Tagan TurboJet 900 Watt Power Supply [Quad SLI Ready] Unless you plan on using 4 graphics cards you dont need this to be 900w, 600 should EASILY be enough
CD-Rom: Sony Blue DW-G120 Dual Format/Double Layer 16X DVD?R/?RW + CD-R/RW Drive
OS: MS Windows XP Professional Edition w/Service Pack-2 Is pro edition a lot more than home? If it is, dont bother
Speakers: Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speakers + Subwoofer You do know thats 5 speakers AND a huge sub? Unless you have somewhere to put the back 2 speakers, dont bother. I (used) to have 5.1 but i took the back 2 off because they just got in the way.
Sound Card: Dolby Digital Surround 7.1 Sound Card Your motherboard already comes with 7.1sound, you dont need this at all.
Price: $4,162

Overall, i think its VERY expensive. Did you put these components together yourself?

You say you want it to last 10 years? Just buy one now thats a little bit worse for half the price, then, in ten years, buy one thats twice as good for half the price.

If youre not comfortable putting together your pc, dont do it. If you would like to become more hardware-aware Rolling Eyes play around with the old pc when you get the new 1[take it apart, put it together etc].
Goky

1.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject:  

I'd disagree with you there ubermoose. I don't know what it's like these days, but onboard sound is normally a much lower quality than a soundcard, especially for weird people like me who like their audio to sound perfect. Audigy's are nice cards. Also I give a big thumbs up to huge speakers Smile

What you really don't need is that ram. Seriously, just get standard Corsair ValueRam, it's quick, reliable, and cheap. You will never, ever, ever need XMS2 with the kind of things you'd probably be doing.

As far as building it goes, it's really not that complicated. The only "hard" part is the wiring at the end (hooking up the power switch, the reset button, the lights on the front, the front USB port, things like that). The rest of it is pretty much plug, click, and screw. There's not much you can mess up, just be sure you ground yourself when you're messing with your CPU.

Also don't get pro. It's useless to shell out the extra however many dollars it is these days for what little it gives.
Knifer

BNet Acct/Realm: Hawaii/Oregon
1.39 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:  

unless you are going to be running like 5 photoshops at once, you dont even need that high end computer.

go easy on the graphics card, you dont need to run them SLI, even one will be fine. or you could run two lower end ones SLI. the rest of the stuff, just look at what ubermoose said. although i would at least get a second HD to fit more junk on there and run them RAID. make sure they are SATA.

processor id go with an AMD athlon, i think they just came out with new models and dropped their other processors by ~50%.

seriously, if you dont know how to build a computer, you dont even need this high end. if you do build it, get ready for a lot of research and possibly some broken parts. (processor to mobo comes to mind)

you can already get a decent one for about 1k that will run most games out today, or a relatively high end one for about 2k that will run them even better. just buy a 1k or 2k one and invest that extra wad and buy another in 10 or whatever years.

craftman_21

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:  

on The benchmark Tests a 2.6 Ghz Core 2 duo ran cooler and more effeciently than the best Amd Processor available today using Various programs including games. And Quad Sli is really that useless? i figured i could go with a dual gpu 512 Mb Nvidia 7950 Gtx for 1 slot but i wasnt sure wether or not to get quad sli or just use 1 graphics card with 2 gpu's i've heard numerous times that high end games liek Fear and Cellfactor run extremely smooth using quad sli. And im doing no Graphics Editing or high end Video editing or anything just arecreational comp for high end games. The Power supply was fort the 2 graphics cards to make quad sli btu if not needed i could just use 1 Vid Card and Switch to a lower costing power supply. And ONboard Sound is TERRIBLE. And i need new speakers. I listen to Alot of music and i would prfer high end quality music Very Happy. I could switch to home edition instead of pro because Hoem edition is upgradeable to vista without reformatting but professional and media center are not Sad. And the REason i chose 2 gig ram was for the increasing numbers of ram required in games >.> For instance CellFactor requires 1 gig of ram Physx Graphics card 3 Ghz processor. And I am expecting to Get Crysis in the near future and i want my comp to be able to run these high end games with little to no difficulty while at the best resolutions and Picture Quality. I will go check out some better Layouts for a comp to see the best one available at teh cheapest price

Goky wrote:

ubermoose
LLD101 Staff

BNet Acct/Realm: Europe
3.49 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject:  

No doubt it would be a good pc but tbh $4,162 is a crazy price to pay for a pc. If you can afford it, and want to pay it then ofc it will be better than a cheaper computer. But i think you could easily drop to price by $1000 and see no noticeable difference in performance.
NightWish

BNet Acct/Realm: Not telling
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:  

hmm...Core 2 EE is expensive, just go with regular Core 2.
drop it to one graphics card, ATI 1800 or 1900 or Nvidia 7900 or 7800
raptor is realy not needed, no point IMHO.
You dont need the most expensive stuff btw, power supply would be fine at 500-700watt, ram, 1gb (2x512) in Dual Channel Mode is usaly sufficent for most people. You realy dont need XP pro, get home.

if you realy want to spend that type of money for high-end computer: Falcon NW or Hypersonic are the two best choices.

craftman_21

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject:  

Well i checked out Falcon-Nw.com and Hypersonic-pc.com

Falcon-Nw is WAY WAY WAY overpriced. Even more so than Alienware.
For Example, Their best computer costs 10,000.

Hypersonic-Pc doesnt have regular Desktops only notebooks and Workstations or Pure Gaming pc's which cost 4 k+ baseline price.

The best 2 sites i can suggest so far are IbuyPower.com Cyberpowerpc.com
And i cut a few things out like only 1 graphics card, 1 HDD with 300 gig 7,200 rpm which is actually alot cheaper.

I still Want to get 2 gig ram just incase and I want the Core 2 EE simply becuase of teh speed it has. Cellfactor requires a 3 ghz processor, therefore, a Core 2 EE 2.93 ghz would suffice plenty. And the Graphics card would be either 512 or 1 gig i want a 7950 Gtx but the only type i see available is 2x 7950 Gtx 1 gig ram(Quad SLI) or 1x 7950 Gtx 1 gig ram (Single SLI) so either way i would get 1 gig of ram jsut the number of gpu's is different. I also got a lower costing power supply Thermaltake 680 watt.

Goky wrote:

foolZSight

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject:  

falcon northwest is expensive-but they paint damn secksi cases Wink
thats really all i would want from them-a custom painted case...they can airbrush anything you want onto it-even a pearlescent color. O_O
oh..i want to say they're all hand painted to...^ ^

NightWish

BNet Acct/Realm: Not telling
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:  

Why do people always ONLY get the best?

You dont need the best, you just need something good. The best will be 2nd or 3rd grade in just a little while.
Heres a few other companies you can try: Monarch, Vicous PC, PC Club, Maingear, Velocity Micro, Puget, Polywell, WidowPc, OverdrivePC

Page 1 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: