LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue May 07, 2024 3:44 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion
Lvl 18, 29-30 Hammerdin and mage guides
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
ATOMICMAN
Official LLD101 Drunkard

BNet Acct/Realm: *ATOMICMAN-LLD USEastNL Retired
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject:  Lvl 18, 29-30 Hammerdin and mage guides  

ok for most this should be damn easy for most but i figured something more structured should be put up

i had a lvl 29 hammerdin (which was good enough for most but since euro goes by 9, 29, 49 this should be good for you), but now ive been messing around with a mage (hammer/foh). now also including information about lvl 18 hammerdins (which i do have one)

skills:

hammer (lvl 18)

holy bolt: 1
smite: 1
charge: 1
blessed hammer: 1
might: 1
blessed aim: 7
conc: 1
prayer: 7
cleansing: 1
defiance: 1
vigor: 1

hammer (29 and 30):

blessed hammer: 12 or 13 for lvl 30
charge: 1 (one of your most important skills, used for movement and desync)
holy shield: 1 (or you can get scepter to prebuff and you can save the point and put it in blessed aim)
blessed aim: 14 (synergy for bh)
conc: 1 (reason behind only 1 is that it only adds 50% of the listed ed on this skill so if you have 100% ed for conc, it only adds 50% towards bh)

mage (lvl 30 only)
now one quick thing, i say its better to get a foh scepter on your switch with nothing less than +1 foh and +1 conviction otherwise either your foh will be worthless or your hammers will be worthless

blessed hammer: 13
charge: 1 (one of your most important skills, used for movement and desync)
holy shield: 1 (or you can get scepter to prebuff and you can save the point and put it in blessed aim)
blessed aim: 5 (synergy for bh)
conc: 1 (reason behind only 1 is that it only adds 50% of the listed ed on this skill so if you have 100% ed for conc, it only adds 50% towards bh)
holy fire: 1
holy freeze: 1
holy shock: 7 (synergy for foh)

other skill choices:

only optional choice i see is prayer to give your meditation some life regen when you switch to insight and if you go that way take a point from blessed aim and dump it into prayer

equipment

lvl 18 hammer (i will include 2 sets here one real basic other is godly)

basic

eye or +1 combat ammy
2 10% fcr rings (or if you cant get enough mana to duel use 2 manalds)
stealth breast plate (or light plate if you have the str with your other gear equiped)
scepter with atleast +3 hammer (nothing less than +3 if thats the only skill on it) and hopefully +conc socket with a hel if only 1 socket or 2 -15% req jewels with dtm
steelclash (hel or -15% req jewel with dtm if you get 2 sockets on your scepter or ith rune if you only get 1)
deaths sash
bloodfists
tarn helm (perf sapphire)
cow king boots

rich

rare circlet (or magic) with +1 combat and 10% fcr and if it has other mods these are what you want to look for 2 o/s, life, mana, resists
rare ammy +1 combat 10%fcr and look for the following mods in order life, mana, stats, resists
2 10% fcr rings with mana and the following stats in order mana, stats, resists
rare or magical scepter with +1 combat +3 hammer +3 conc 10% fcr and if rare the following mods in order 2 o/s, -reqs, stats, resists (socket with a hel if only 1 socket or if 2 2x -15% req dtm jewels)
stealth sup breast plate (or light plate if you have the str with your other gear equiped)
deaths sash
bloodfists
steelclash (if you have a 2 o/s scepter a -15% req jewel with dtm or if only 1 socket scepter with only hel ith your shield)
cow king boots

charms for your lvl 18 are pretty easy lots of life smalls and try to get enough mana to keep you around or over 300 if you cant afford 15 life smalls with mana use grands with life/mana or stat/mana grands

pure hammer lvl 30

+2 combat circlet with the following mods in order (fcr, 2 sockets, life, mana, resists) socket with perf ruby [ies]
+2 combat ammy with the following mods in order (fcr, life, mana, stats, dtm, resists)
viper magi (perf ruby)
mage fists
deaths sash (yes i think this is vital, i dont condone caster belts or rare belts, you get chilled you cant move and that will kill a pure hammerdin)
2x sojs
sanders boots (r/w is vital, but if you wish cow kings work well if you want more life)
spirit pally shield with resists
spirit crystal sword (or any sword but i think crystal is the best both in stats and looks)

switch

insight staff or +2 combat/spirit shield with +hs scepter to prebuff

lvl 29 pure hammer

+1 pally circlet with the following mods in order (fcr, 2 sockets, life, mana, resists) socket with perf ruby [ies]
+1 pally ammy with the following mods in order (fcr, life, mana, stats, dtm, resists)
viper magi (perf ruby)
mage fists
deaths sash (yes i think this is vital, i dont condone caster belts or rare belts, you get chilled you cant move and that will kill a pure hammerdin)
2x sojs
sanders boots (r/w is vital, but if you wish cow kings work well if you want more life)
spirit crystal sword (or any sword but i think crystal is the best both in stats and looks)

switch
insight staff or hs prebuff

mage

+1 pally circlet with the following mods in order (fcr, 2 sockets, life, mana, resists) socket with perf ruby [ies]
+1 pally ammy with the following mods in order (fcr, life, mana, stats, dtm, resists)
viper magi (perf ruby)
mage fists
2x sojs

switch

scepter with atleast +1 foh and +1 conviction and a spirit pally shield with resists

now with a mage i think you get more versitility with the +1 pally gear rather than +combat or +offensive, i think if you overspecialize here you will in the long run hurt yourself if you go +combat you get much stronger hammers, more life from high holy shield level saving you points in dex, and high foh lit damage but you lose the vital - resists from conviction that really makes foh effective, if you go +offensive you loss your hammers big time, you lose life from the loss in holy shield making you spend more in dex, and you lose foh lit damage but you gain more -resists for conviction making your foh more effecive in the long run. i think you get more for your money just going +to all and let it all stay more or less equal.

charms:

you want to keep yourself at 48% fhr or higher (if you dont use spirits) so if you dont have atleast 48% use fhr/mana charms until you hit that bp.

otherwise

15 life small charms with the following mods in order (resists up to 75%then mana)

other equipment choices:

scepters for hammers: only time you would use a scepter over spirit is if it has these mods +2/+1 pally skills (+2 if its pre lod) or +2 combat/offensives, 10%/20% fcr (20% if its pre lod), +bh or +conc. and also if you can keep yourself at the 125% fcr bp with the scepter so look at it like this if it cant add more than +2 to both bh and conc while keeping you at 125% fcr its not worth using. i personally use a +1 pally 20% fcr 8 dex +3 bh scepter that does add more damage than a spirit and i can also keep my 125% fcr, so find something like that if you can but otherwise spirit works fine.

stats:

str: enough to equip your highest str item
dex: enough for max blocking with holy shield (ignore holy shield if you make a lvl 18)
vit: everything else

you should with decent enough gear hit over 1k life and 600 mana or so with dual spirits as for damage it can vary a bit depending on lvl and build, my mage is hitting 800 hammers and 500 foh with -80ish resists

which build do i choose?

well with what i have done so far i say a mage is more promising than the pure hammer builds. the problem with hammers is its mostly defenesive and without teleport you really cant catch casters/ranged or runners. with foh you force your enemies to come in and be aggressive since if they play defensively they will never wear you down. there is one downside to a mage, tons of hot keys and weapon switching. you need hammer/conc hot keyed, foh/convic hot keyed, charge, unsummon, and holy shield hot keyed. it takes alot of practice to get used to the hot keys but it does pay off as you make a char that ruins most melees and can have a good chance vs casters.

any questions not answered here pm me or leave a post here.

I am the bullet in the gun
I am the truth from which you run
I am a silencing machine
I am the end of all your dreams...

Last edited by ATOMICMAN on Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Moritz

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject:  

well i'd make a lvl29 hammerdin, but not pure. my choice would be with a divine scepter with 1 medi 3bh and honor in it. i know it requires 103 str but i think its worth doing it. my (hellrushed) lvl29 hammer/charge got 1.4k charge 25%ds and still 1.1k life. i think vs amas and some other chars or when your opponent got only low life left, aktive charge can be really nice.

i gotta say that i use much life/max sc's besides the life/manas, but even with plain 15ers and life/manas u should reach 900charge dmg np.

this would fix that problem u mentioned here:

Quote:
the problem with hammers is its mostly defenesive and without teleport you really cant catch casters/ranged or runners
prophet_of_doom

BNet Acct/Realm: Europe
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject:  

- cbf (death sash) is obsolete for hammerdin. Chill doesn't affect casting speed nor charging speed.
- scepter with at least +1 foh and +1 conv is lvl 30 req so not a possible switch for lvl 29 chars.
Moritz

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject:  

ah y i also dont have cnbf, i prefer string.
ATOMICMAN
Official LLD101 Drunkard

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lvl 29-30 Hammerdin and mage guides  

ATOMICMAN wrote:
mage (lvl 30 only)

no chilling doesnt effect charge nor casting but it does effect fhr and your normal movement and does effect your swing if you charge with namelock

I am a silencing machine
prophet_of_doom

BNet Acct/Realm: Europe
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Lvl 29-30 Hammerdin and mage guides  

ATOMICMAN wrote:
ATOMICMAN wrote:
mage (lvl 30 only)

no chilling doesnt effect charge nor casting but it does effect fhr and your normal movement and does effect your swing if you charge with namelock

heh, whatever floats your boat.
never ever considered death sash on my hammerdin, 15/15 string has far better use. dins shouldn't bother with getting chilled as they seldom use normal movement, have at least 110% fhr and on the top of that namelock charging with foher/hammer sounds a bit weird (well, at least for me Rolling Eyes ).
If you find death sash useful on your hammerdin that's ok with me, but don't say "you get chilled you cant move and that will kill a pure hammerdin" because it is not true.
cheers.
OutlawHeaven
Bermanently Panned

BNet Acct/Realm: OutlawHeaven/OutlawHvn @USEast@Azeroth@AIM
12.23 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject:  

I have feedback on my pure hammerdin. I usually dont have "too" much trouble killing casters. I just desync, and hammer away. If that doesnt work, i can always spam/desycn hammers around. IMO, i would just use a pure hammerdin build with a nice 3/3 foh scepter on switch. And i suppose you could ivest pts in Conviction and Foh. Thats my 2 cents...

Ehhh

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lvl 29-30 Hammerdin and mage guides  

ATOMICMAN wrote:
ATOMICMAN wrote:
mage (lvl 30 only)

Chilling has absolutely no effect on fhr.. It does affect your swing if you namelock charge, do not knock them back and charge again, and that can be dangerous. Chilling DOES affect charge speed, and this will make desyncing a little harder.

While charging is still pretty effective while chilled, Death sash isn't a bad idea against cold sorcs. Normally, I would stick with a string of ears. You can just swap them around according to who you're dueling.

I would not use a scepter over spirit unless it added over 50 pvp damage (+300 hammer dmg) over spirit. Going scepter over spirit means you lose ~100 mana (before SoJ bonuses), 55%fhr and a bit of cast.

If you want to duel seriously without using mana pots, I would recommend 750+ mana.
ATOMICMAN
Official LLD101 Drunkard

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject:  

i do pretty fine with 650 mana i dont use charge as much as most do but however with foh i dont need to charge like a freak as much as if i had pure hammers

I am a silencing machine
Moritz

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject:  

Quote:
I would not use a scepter over spirit unless it added over 50 pvp damage (+300 hammer dmg) over spirit. Going scepter over spirit means you lose ~100 mana (before SoJ bonuses), 55%fhr and a bit of cast.

i use only 8-10 * 15//10-12s and rest max/life sc's. with 2sojs, pala/fc/mana/stats amu and honor divine i got pretty exact 800mana which is absolutely enough mana. i reach the 75%fc bp without any losses (30viper 10amu 35spirit shield). 125fc bp is really not needed imo.
the dmg gain isnt 300 more but u gain charge dmg + 25%ds + 10rep life + some hammerdmg and one of the most important : medi! so u got 3 more skills to push your dmg!
i think 55fhr are enough, 110fhr arent needed, the mana is also np without dual spirit and your charge dmg as well as your hammer dmg will boost.
i would only go for dual spirit setup if i was too poor for some life/mana sc's. the advantages of a nice honor divine are huge.

/edit: i calced the dmg with dual spirit and with divine honor for my hellrushed lvl29 hammerdin (with conc aura):

duals spirit: 1500 - 1529 (?1514.5) with medi skilled
divine honor 3bh 1medi: 1804 - 1834 (?1819) with medi from scepter

the dmg difference is even 300dmg Smile
Ehhh

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject:  

Moritz wrote:
Quote:

i use only 8-10 * 15//10-12s and rest max/life sc's. with 2sojs, pala/fc/mana/stats amu and honor divine i got pretty exact 800mana which is absolutely enough mana. i reach the 75%fc bp without any losses (30viper 10amu 35spirit shield). 125fc bp is really not needed imo.
the dmg gain isnt 300 more but u gain charge dmg + 25%ds + 10rep life + some hammerdmg and one of the most important : medi! so u got 3 more skills to push your dmg!
i think 55fhr are enough, 110fhr arent needed, the mana is also np without dual spirit and your charge dmg as well as your hammer dmg will boost.
i would only go for dual spirit setup if i was too poor for some life/mana sc's. the advantages of a nice honor divine are huge.

/edit: i calced the dmg with dual spirit and with divine honor for my hellrushed lvl29 hammerdin (with conc aura):

duals spirit: 1500 - 1529 (?1514.5) with medi skilled
divine honor 3bh 1medi: 1804 - 1834 (?1819) with medi from scepter

the dmg difference is even 300dmg Smile

125% FCR is absolutely necessary in very hard caster vs caster matchups. Duel some good necros and you'll see what I mean. Hitting the 86%FHR breakpoint is also very nice and I'd definitely take 3 frame hit recovery and high mana over a negligible amount of damage. But to each his own. I play with strategy and speed. My damage is actually low for a lv30 norm rushed hammerdin, yet I haven't lost a set to a single lv30 hammerdin (heck, any lv30 hell rushed duped caster) on west yet.

I run with 920+ Mana, and I ran out multiple times in my duels against Knarl's necromancer. From experience, in tough duels without mana pots (with meditation though) you will need a large mana pool. 650 is barely enough for a decent matchup unless you chug mana pots.

A good hammerdin/mage (I have a mage) will move mostly by charging. In caster vs caster duels I do not run or walk unless I am both safe and need to regenerate mana. The other 95% of the time, I charge move.
ATOMICMAN
Official LLD101 Drunkard

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject:  

Ehhh wrote:
125% FCR is absolutely necessary in very hard caster vs caster matchups.

amen

but anyway there are very few scepters out there that can beat the mods of spirit but i couldnt leave them out totally since rares can spawn some damn godly mods if rolled right honestly a +2 combat +3 bh +3 conc 10% fcr 2 o/s and any other sweet mods would hands down beat spirit but its not that one will ever drop but id say if you can beat out the damage of spirit and still keep your casting at 125% go for it, major props for uniqueness

but as for the mana thing i only charge when i need to so i can get away with a smaller mana pool than most mages actually dont need as much mana as pure hammers from the ones ive had, my pure hammer ran out all the time but my mage gets by alot easier since i dont need to charge to catch up to casters/ranged as much if they run i name lock and lay down some foh but necs are big time trouble since walls and golems soak up the un aimed fohs you have to use unsummon otherwise you will lose lock very easily and waste your mana. and even with my 650 mana i dont pot during duels and since i use a foh scepter on my switch i cant get the benifits of a insight at all but like i said i conserve my mana alot more than most

and youre right your damage is alot lower than most hammerdins your lvl (my lvl 29 was doing 1.5k or so) but like you said lots of strategy is needed its not just standing there spamming hammers =/

I am a silencing machine
Moritz

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject:  

hmm well i never got mana probs and i dont use anything for moving except passive charge. the correct usage of medi aura is the key i think. with medi aura i can hammer and charge as much as i want and still dont lose any mana.

hmm of course 125fc is nice but vs MOST not neccessary. if u want to use it vs a special chartype u can switch to dual spirits. same with fhr.

but i know u will never ever own e.g. a lvl29/30 amazon which is well equipped and which knows how to handle hammerdins with pure hammer.

anyway i tested both and i like the advantages of a decent active charge, but i think both setups got their advantages. its a thing of taste i think.
Inexorable

BNet Acct/Realm: TheSupplier, Cancerofdabowel
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject:  

I can attest to Ehhh's massive use of charge, and that character absolutely DESTROYS. Desynch Hammers + Foh to herd someone + Charge to always stay away from them = Far too many dead characters.

Knarl wrote:
Inexorable beat LittleKnarl, 4-3. Grumble grumble. My poor smiter.

Knarl wrote:
4-3 for inexorable again in melee. 10 life...pssh.

If you cannot take the heat....
Ehhh

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject:  

To a real (not just some pub) LLD FoH is nearly negligible, but it can really give you an advantage if you're patient and good at dodging. However, it doesn't give you enough advantage to stop charging, because it obviously isn't a 1 hit kill deal. Duel a good nec with a sizable life pool and good lightning resists, and I guarantee you will eat bone spirits if you ever stop charging for more than 1 second.

Even when I'm FoHing, I switch to charge/medi between shots and am always moving. There's no reason not to charge to move unless you absolutely need to regenerate mana and are safe to do so.

I've yet to duel any decent bowazons, but I can't see them being that much different than dueling a nec. Most probably won't have the resists of most necs either, so I could probably chip at them with FoH.

I also have a charge switch (eth Honor Flail/60max/63ed/113ar heraldic) in my stash if the need ever arises, so yes I am sure I can own bowazons when I really feel like it.

BTW, my Mage is not hell rushed, so of course I'm not gonna hit 1.5k dmg. If I hellrushed him, he would be an absolute demon Twisted Evil
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion
Jump to: