LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue May 14, 2024 4:27 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Started making sigs on dtrades -___-
Page 1 of 4 [49 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
LLD_Pie

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject:  Started making sigs on dtrades -___-  

Today i made these two for some people on dtrades.. im pretty pleased with them -___-

^ is kinda bizarre but eh... i tried to make it as artistic as possible while still including the blood theme that he wanted

Mortal Kombat

Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject:  

i used to have to do alot of critiques in college so maybe ill give it a shot for old times sake. (it really all depends how much time u wish to invest, u can work on something almsot forever,, untill it sucks lol)

the first one has a good tone to it, strong., but i think the composition can be worked differently.

do u know the rule of thirds?
about the golden mean?
and do u know what a tangent is compositionaly speaking?

i think those are some elements u could keep in mind that could really help that sig be stronger.

The balance is defienetly not quite even and that can be a good thing, but its happening with too mant issues, as an example maybe to balance the use of red with the grey face, emphasis the dominate red rose with some grey somehow, looks like the stem is treated grey? but u could push it imo.
maybe try adding some grey within the type?

also since the balance is a bit asymterical try varying the size relations of the two heavy objects (face and rose) try makeing one a contrasting size that emphasis eachother differently. i like the fact the rose has a great deal of texture compared to the face, puttng them close together may make for a stronger piece, try them together as opposition to the type?

im gonna be real rash and post a quick thumbnail i did ,, this is my first instinct, (not that this should be the layout) what im trying to show really how rough u can work to establish alot of play. i know u can be limited with the images and all, but sometimes taking things down this simply can help speed up refinement.

contrast to show rule of thirds

notice the structural elements stay within this theory of thirds..its kinda tradional and can be overused and cliche but its a good foundation to start off from. the type is breaking it to be a lil varied wich i think helps stay away from it being too noticable your using the rule of thirds

as for the mortal combat one im having a liltte more trouble seeing what i like about it. its bland imo, theres no real emphasis, the bright flash and the dark sword both compete for attention too much and there in locations making it unappleaing to me.

i think the rule of thirds could really benefit this piece.. also the amount eacheach figure overlaps the other is too even. try varying the overlapping amounts and see if u can also push their size relationships. Just for some things to try out , maybe have 1 figure dominate the others for a better emphasis. like 1 full body, 1 face close up and another half of the picture plane. have any profile close ups of any of the chars?

i can only give some fundemental theory, graphic design wasnt really my focus so im not as versed in the visual metaphor some of the instructors pushed for

LLD_Pie

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject:  

sigh* where would i be without jerkazoid... it seems he replies to all my graphic related threads within 20 seconds of them being posted Shocked

well i understand were your coming from on the second one.. it didnt appeal that much to me either... the first one...i changed tothis? i dunno i find the new version more appealing

or maybe im too tired and my brain has fused into a small lump of grey wether stripping T_T

Edit... its a poppy jerka... comon....

Jerkazoid

4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject:  

poppy? hmm dont know flowers.

its roughness is real nice contrast to the face i really like that.

not sure i like the new one either. ill point out that by adding a great deal of tonal contrast your eye wants to look at the poppy touching the white background. it becomes a focal point and its in a weird spot compositional speaking. i find that instinct draws me back and furth from the faces eye and mouth to the peddle,, very fast.. i almsot ignore the type for a while...
the composition classically should take u around the piece as a whole starting from a single focal area and doesnt neglect areas. this would make it dynamic for the viewer as they stare and stare and stare and want to keep starring

keep trying another day maybe. dont work something too much in one sitting. try to see it fresh.. infact.. try mirroring the whole thing horizontal just for a second... it should look 100% different that way and ull notice more things (hopefullyl)

i have to point out the type is defienetly in a "bad" spot classicaly speaking..
making the piece top heavy is usually a no-no... also its way too close to the border this is making whats called tangents; a theoretical visual "uncomfortablility" (and not in a good way). this is all traditional art stuff btw (reniesance theory so u can take it or leave it for what its worth).

i think if you center the type and bring it away from the border about 15 pixals then start moving the elemtents according to that it could help..

its really all you baby the image can change as much as u want or as little

LLD_Pie

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject:  

oh and they guy who wanted it made was extreemly vague saying it had to have blood in it and be like that kind of thing but "Most of all it has to catch the eye."

I think i sucessfuly connected the two sides... i was just extreemly tired last night T_T and watching paris hilton host SNL made me brain dead.

edit: the shaking looking ghost letters behind the actual letters will look different depending on the quality of your monitor... im running duals one of them is a beautiful NEC flatscreen and the other one is an older CTX... all the colorbalance and contrast settigns were done on the calibrated NEC monitor so when i look at them on the other it looks a little sloppieer... just a heads up T_T ill post one that looks right on crappy monitors too T_T

ThatGuy

BNet Acct/Realm: MONTREAL YAA! Quit d2
5.36 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject:  

Ha ha, no offense but the guy with the blood coming from his/her mouth looks like pull 'n' peels, doesn't really look like blood lines =P

LLD_Pie

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject:  

i know... i was going for a slightly abstract effect... hence everything else in the picture Shocked

Jerkazoid

4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject:  

the blood i figured they were some kinda bondage straps or something.. it seems to me it works for a dark/dangerous feel

i like it, the composition works better thumbs up

blizz99

BNet Acct/Realm: US East, Classic
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject:  

like jerka said " Dark/dangrous feel, i like it Cool "

pie.. i like my sig, nice and simple, but i don't know... something is missing, something that makes it feel "empty".... i dont know what, but thats my feeling over the time Confused
LLD_Pie

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject:  

lol i nose i just threw it together when you asked... when i get time ill make you a new one -___-

LLD_Pie

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject:  

ugh what is it with people on dtrades and there obsession with gothic shit and blood....the latest sig... this guy actualy pmd me to say how amazing he whotugh my othre stuff was and asked me to make this one for him.. so i tried to make it exta nice.. even though i hated/offended by the "topic"

im getting somwhere between 40-60 fg for that one -___-

some other arbitrary stuff i made...

and this Andy Warhol style avatar which i think is the secks

--------

ThatGuy

BNet Acct/Realm: MONTREAL YAA! Quit d2
5.36 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject:  

Dude, that new sig you made for blizz is da shit! Good stuff!

B[x]

BNet Acct/Realm: Retired
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject:  

My signature > than all of yours. I'm sorry.
GoGo MS Paint!

[Important Links]
EMP

BNet Acct/Realm: sequences (Ladder-USEast)
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject:  

B[x] wrote:
My signature > than all of yours. I'm sorry.
GoGo MS Paint!

lol, its quite origonal i would say

blizz99

BNet Acct/Realm: US East, Classic
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject:  

wowwwwwww.... that is nice! thank u pie!!!! ::hugs::

bx, your sig made me laff Laughing
Page 1 of 4 [49 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: