LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:46 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » General Discussion
Oramins Smite FAQ
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
LLD_Pie

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject:  Oramins Smite FAQ  

oramin wrote:
Ok folks, here is the corrected Smite FAQ. I'm going to get your comments on it (which I reserve the right to completely ignore) and then see if Leelality will replace the copy in the Websites post.

What works with Smite? version 1.10

By Oramin and Bloodshrike, et al
Based on Oldman?s Throwsmiter guide

The following things work with Smite:

Bonus damage from STR (new for 1.10)
+Skills (increase damage a LOT)
Crushing Blow (including CB on the weapon; e.g. ?Black? runeword)
Weapon range (see below)
Weapon speed (see below)
Life Tap (charges can be found on wands and daggers, save this for tough spots)
Freezes Target (including from the weapon; e.g. Sureshrill Frost)
Hit Blinds Target (From all gear, including the weapon and the shield)
Slow (including from the weapon; e.g. Pompeii?s Wrath)
% Chance to cast (including from the weapon)
Prevent Monster Heal
Open Wounds (new for 1.10)

The following things work with Smite but do *not* display on the Character screen:

Enhanced Damage from which is off-weapon (thanks to Grimble for bringing this to my attention; thanks to Mikeandroe for helping test) (new for 1.10)
Enhanced Damage to Demons/Undead (e.g. Laying of Hands) *should* work, but has *not* been tested
The following items increase the shield damage: Redeemer, Astreon?s Iron Ward, Stone Crusher, ?Grief? runeword (Redeemer confirmed by Stopherson) (new for 1.10)

Damage +X, which is the attribute that the above items have, is added directly to the shield damage just like the Holy Shield bonus. This means that any %ED bonuses which work with Smite will apply (e.g. Fanaticism). Thanks to Mikeandroe for helping test.

The following things do not work with Smite:

Leech (life/mana)
Deadly Strike
Knockback (apart from the standard Knockback on the skill)
Elemental damage from equipment or charms
Elemental damage from auras (e.g. Holy Shock)
Gear and charms that add a set amount of damage (verified by SSJPunk) *except* for the items noted above that have the Damage +X attribute
Enhanced Damage on the weapon

Smite speed is dependent on:

Base weapon speed (odd but true)
% EIAS from Fanaticism
IAS in gear
6 frame Smite is the fastest possible

best compilation of info concerning smite ive ever read... so yes read this if you have a question about smite

NuB

BNet Acct/Realm: a[noob2] EuropeSCNL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject:  

Thanks dude.. VERY helpfull to me.. this deserves a Sticky IMO Wink
Mr.Snuggles

BNet Acct/Realm: North Carolina (Sadly)
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject:  

just to verify the Fort/Grief statement...Stoutwood did a little testing of his own..im going to put a basic cut and paste of his whole post

http://www.rpgforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=265246#post265246

Stoutwood wrote:
Thanks to the ladder reroll, quite a few rumors have popped up regarding the function of Fortitude and Grief on Smite. I have already explained how it works with a normal attack, so now it is time to destroy the much more prevalent rumors regarding Smite.

Part I: Fortitude
There is a rumor flying around that ED% from outside the weapon doesn't affect Smite. This stems from the fact that no difference shows up on the damage screen when something like Fortitude is equipped on a Smite-based character. This turned out to be a fairly easy test to prove.

Since my V/T is built to use Enigma, he was unable to equip Fortitude. Because of this, I had to use my Zealot, Stoutwood for this test. Stout, with 1 hard point in Smite and a comparatively low level Fanaticism, required a +399 Grief to boost his damage so that a difference would be recognizable. I removed all items that could skew the results, such as items with Crushing Blow and Open Wounds. The-Professor was unavailable for this test, so I enlisted the aid of my friend Oakenshaft, or Mr. J as he is known on these forums.

Mr. J removed all +life replenish gear from his character, and also made sure to get 50% DR for the ease of calculations. I then proceeded to Smite him 5 times with the Fortitude equipped, and 5 times without. We subtracted his remaining life after getting Smited from his life beforehand to get the total damage applied.

Displayed Smite Damage: 1236-1314 (with a +399 Grief Phase Blade equipped)
Damage Done to Mr. J Without Fortitude:
Trial 1: 2006 - 1523 = 483 Damage
Trial 2: 2006 - 1521 = 485 Damage
Trial 3: 2006 - 1530 = 476 Damage
Trial 4: 2006 - 1530 = 476 Damage
Trial 5: 2006 - 1529 = 477 Damage

Damage Done to Mr. J With Fortitude:
Trial 1: 2006 - 1387 = 619 Damage
Trial 2: 2006 - 1389 = 617 Damage
Trial 3: 2006 - 1386 = 620 Damage
Trial 4: 2006 - 1387 = 619 Damage
Trial 5: 2006 - 1387 = 619 Damage

Conclusion: Obviously the 300% ED from Fortitude adds into the Damage equation, regardless of whether or not it appears on the character screen.

Part II: Grief

There are basically two theories as to how Grief works with Smite. Theory 1 states that the displayed damage goes through the PvP Penalties and Damage Reduction, and the +Damage from Grief is applied aftarwards straight up with no reduction. Theory 2 states that the +Damage from Grief is added to both the maximum and minimum damage of the shield, where it is then multiplied by ED from Strength, Smite, Fanaticism, and ED from non-weapon items.

This test was done in a similar manner to the Zealot Grief Test. All items that could skew results were removed. 5 Trials were performed with the Grief equipped. This part was done with my V/T, so the damage was equal to that put out by any other Smite-based build.

Displayed Damage: 2750-2793
Actual Damage Applied to Mr. J if Theory 1 holds: (((2750-2793)*(1/6 + 1/2)) + 398-398) = 627 - 630 Damage
Actual Damage Applied to Mr. J if Theory 2 holds : (((589-592)*(13.4+1))*(1/6 + 1/2) = 706 - 710 Damage

Trial 1: 2006 - 1283 = 723 Damage
Trial 2: 2006 - 1282 = 724 Damage
Trial 3: 2006 - 1284 = 722 Damage
Trial 4: 2006 - 1283 = 723 Damage
Trial 5: 2006 - 1284 = 722 Damage

The odd thing about this test was that while it was very close to the anticipated results of Theory 2, it was consistently above the maximum expected value. This worried me, so I did a control test without equipping the Grief. The displayed Damage was the same, so the actual damage applied to Mr. J would be 229-232.

Trial 1: 2006 - 1769 = 237 Damage
Trial 2: 2006 - 1769 = 237 Damage
Trial 3: 2006 - 1769 = 237 Damage
Trial 4: 2006 - 1771 = 235 Damage
Trial 5: 2006 - 1769 = 237 Damage

These results also came out consistently higher than the maximum expected value, so whatever the problem with the equation was, it wasn't the Grief. I quadruple-checked my V/T to see if any other items could have possibly boosted the damage, but I didn't find anything. I also went over Mr. J's gear. He was wearing a Stormshield, Ethereal Upgraded Shaftstop, and a 12% DR CoA.

This leaves two possibilities: Either Smite has an odd quirk that boosts it's damage slightly higher than the displayed value, or Ethereal Upgraded Shaftstop has a bug that prevents the 30% DR mod from functioning. This however, is a topic that should be dealt with in another thread. At any rate, it is reasonable to say that the +Damage modifier on Grief adds directly to the shield damage and is susceptible to PvP penalties and Damage Reduction.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
LiveChaldean

BNet Acct/Realm: livechaldean and deeks
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject:  

when u say that smite uses the base weapon speed of your weapon does it include the weapons ias or is that separate for teh calculations?

example

i have a phase blade [-30] socketed with 6 shaels

using the weapon speed calculator in the post of "all about vlld/lld" do i just use the fact taht i am using a phase blade or do i add the ias from teh shaels also?

ISO: permed sojs and HR's
krajee

9.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject:  

LiveChaldean wrote:
using the weapon speed calculator in the post of "all about vlld/lld" do i just use the fact taht i am using a phase blade or do i add the ias from teh shaels also?

I don't exactly understand your question, but I'll give it a shot.

When you use the weapon speed calculator, select the character class, skill, weapon, on weapon ias (if applicable) and ias.

Paladin
Smite
Phase Blade
120 + ?

food-ranger

BNet Acct/Realm: The.Dragon@useast
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject:  

post although i dont have any trial dta, i can confirm fort adds to smite dmg it added ~300 dmg when my smiter had his eth zakrum exile on.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » General Discussion
Jump to: