LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:06 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
For Intelligent Christians Only.
Page 5 of 11 [157 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
zarc

BNet Acct/Realm: USEast NonLadder *fyarbeast USEast Ladder *fyarbeast1
-2.48 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject:  

basically using god in any argument is an appeal to authority. I have no problem with faith, i just have a problem with people using faith in god in an argument.

SoaringSquirrel

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject:  

Ah, that. Honestly, this might seem like I'm taking a 180 here, but I think it's an important point to be made. I think faith is a very misleading, inaccurate term to describe the basis of most theists' belief in God. It seems to me that the existence of "God" (in the most obscure of meanings) is self-evident to them, whether due to biological, psychological, or experiential causes, which leads them to some more specific depiction that best befits their own conception. That is, since all of our beliefs, either nontheistic or theistic, are either that which are axioms that present themselves true to us, or derived from them, then if God is self-evident to a theist, can we really expect to change that? Is it even reasonable to try to do so?

Props to Mark Owens for the sig. My firstborn baby squirrel will be sacrificed in your honor. Wink
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject:  

fyarbeast wrote:
basically using god in any argument is an appeal to authority. I have no problem with faith, i just have a problem with people using faith in god in an argument.

As I've stated, I don't need to prove God exists. That would defeat the whole concept of faith.

Conversely, I certainly don't reference God or religion when I'm trying to prove something logically. Logic and faith are, by definition, two separate spheres.

yarly
Grim04

BNet Acct/Realm: Grim04/UWNL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject:  

Ok I'll try to give my .02 into this thread without being intellectually raped by people (namely Roy/Dao/Soaring).

One of the few surviving Book of Judas was found (as I watched a special on it last year). It was one of the old Books that was not but into the bible.

Break, anyone know takes the bible as literal is a fool.

Anyone who tries to disprove the bible by taking it as literal (like you did Rolling Eyes) is a fool.
Goky

1.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject:  

I don't really have time right now to give a full reply but hopefully I will tonight. Two quick things!

breakbeatz2 wrote:
I wonder if Goky and rjg are thinking man I can't wait until Break dies and has to spend eternity in hell! That's sure gonna teach him a lesson."

I would never think that actually.

breakbeatz2 wrote:
I'm sure if your parents were Muslim you would be sure that Islam was the way to go. If your parents were Buddhist, you would be a devout Buddhist as well. You have blind faith in what Mommy and Daddy taught you. Way to go.

My mom is practically atheist and my dad was pretty agnostic. Neither of which ever really bothered trying to give me faith in anything.

Jerkazoid wrote:

pick a side and get a hand gun,, the US is still at war

You're kind of creeping me out here. You seem like one of those strange guys that lives in the woods stocking up m-14's and grenades because he's convinced that any day now, the "coloreds" and the Jews are going to stage a rebellion to kill all the whites.

I think that South Park episode referenced earlier was lampooning people like you, who seem to be convinced that religion is the cause of all of the worlds problems. In a good deal of "religious wars" (e.g.; Crusades) the war really had nothing to do with religion, it had to do with land and power. They used Christianity as a rallying cry to actually try and convince people to fight. There was nothing "Christian" about them.

I assure you that as long as humans are on earth, religion or not, the world is going to be a steaming pile of crap. The human race for the most part is greedy, power-hungry, selfish and wasteful. We can ruin anything we put our hands on.
Waramp

0.59 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject:  

if there's one thing rich people hate, its ghosts.

http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showuser=246043
Wank

BNet Acct/Realm: Imp StormsRaider
57.98 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject:  

Nothing is "foolish" about the bible Grim. Everything in it is what you need, nothing is "left out" and it doesnt have more than it needs. Nothing in the Bible is a lie. You learn that 1 or 2 days in Sunday School, lol...

Equipped Lvl 30's:
Froggy-Leap Attacker, Vidala- Bow, Starly-Wind, Haunter-Bonenec, Dragonair-Fissure, Vileplume-Psn Jav, Clefairy- Wc

http://img104.imagevenue.com/loc1100/th_30982_ImpAvatar_122_1100lo.jpg(didnt want to lose that link Surprised
zarc

-2.48 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject:  

Roy wrote:
fyarbeast wrote:

As I've stated, I don't need to prove God exists. That would defeat the whole concept of faith.

Conversely, I certainly don't reference God or religion when I'm trying to prove something logically. Logic and faith are, by definition, two separate spheres.

right, and thats why i say people who do(not implying you did or for that matter that anyone here did) use god or the bible as an argumentative tool are simply using it for the wrong reasons

Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject:  

Oh yeah, I definitely agree with you there, fyar. I get irritated when people attempt to "disprove" evolution with biblical passages.

yarly
zarc

-2.48 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject:  

what annoys me most is using the bible in a debate about anything ethical. In ethical debates if you allow the bible you must also allow all other books.

breakbeatz2
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject:  

That's true of all debates.
breakbeatz2
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject:  

Did someone delete my post? It wasn't a flame.

How do all you Christians deal with the belief that all your non Christian friends and family will spend eternity in Hell?

I don't see how you could go through life like that.
zarc

-2.48 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject:  

breakbeatz2 wrote:
Did someone delete my post? It wasn't a flame.

How do all you Christians deal with the belief that all your non Christian friends and family will spend eternity in Hell?

I don't see how you could go through life like that.

appeal to emotion...lol

SoaringSquirrel

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject:  

Imp wrote:
Nothing is "foolish" about the bible Grim. Everything in it is what you need, nothing is "left out" and it doesnt have more than it needs. Nothing in the Bible is a lie. You learn that 1 or 2 days in Sunday School, lol...

And obviously everything you learn in Sunday school is dogmatically true, notwithstanding Sola Scriptura (you are a Baptist, right?). Seriously, I think the Bible does a great job of undercutting itself half the time, though I'm not sure this is the place to go into the details.

fyar ? the problem is, Christians think that God ordained what is ethical, and what is not, which is why it's so important to approach worldly, public affairs from a humanist perspective, barring as much metaphysical and religious influence as possible.

Props to Mark Owens for the sig. My firstborn baby squirrel will be sacrificed in your honor. Wink
AmishSpeedGoat

BNet Acct/Realm: Yes
38.99 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject:  

What I dont like is people who seem to smash the bible without even reading it. Im not christain, I dont go to church, however, My friend does, and Ive helped out numerous amounts of time in church camp for the little kids so I have read some of the bible. People who start bull shitting about how stupid these people are, or how bad the bible is wihtout even reading it really need a good smack in the face. Dont be dissin what you dont know (that goes for you too breakbeatz Wink)

However I will say that alot of the things in the bible are silly. A good example is that it states that humans are the only intelligent life in the universe. Im not one of these wierd paranoid people who have funky hair and a lazy eye who think they have been abducted but please. The entire universe?? Pshh..

Also Break. Dao is right... The big bang theory is so choppy its not funny. They dont know when it really started, what was before it, how it happened, any of that stuff. Its has been proven that it is impossible to comprehend these kind of things, so what do people do when they are in search for answers? They turn to things like the bible.
Page 5 of 11 [157 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: