LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:49 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
For Intelligent Christians Only.
Page 4 of 11 [157 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 9, 10, 11 Next
TacoBell

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject:  

breakbeatz2 wrote:
I'm not a hypocrite.

I'm not offended by people preaching their beliefs.

I just don't like people preaching beliefs which are obviously false.

And if not you, there are many other in this very thread who are. In fact, some of them admit they don't like religions because of how they constantly preach, and then go on to preach in the same post.
breakbeatz2
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject:  

I wonder if Goky and rjg are thinking man I can't wait until Break dies and has to spend eternity in hell! That's sure gonna teach him a lesson."
Wank

BNet Acct/Realm: Imp StormsRaider
57.98 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject:  

Didn't really read most of the posts in this thread, but this is what I know...

I've been on both sides of the fence, believing and non believing. You cant possibly tell me that God doesnt exist, you've never expeirienced what I have. After actually following the religion, it is impossible to say God doesn't exist, or you didnt really follow it.

Also, statements like "if you believe in blahblah then you are an idiot" are baits to flame, not sure if anybody else noticed this. I'm not going to cut down non believers, but I'd appreciate it if you would return the favor.

I also like how its constantly said that the believers are pushing this upon you, I've seen no "you must believe in christianity" threads, but this is the second anti religion thread I've seen. Seems like you attack it so much because your afraid that what you believe is actually wrong.

Equipped Lvl 30's:
Froggy-Leap Attacker, Vidala- Bow, Starly-Wind, Haunter-Bonenec, Dragonair-Fissure, Vileplume-Psn Jav, Clefairy- Wc

http://img104.imagevenue.com/loc1100/th_30982_ImpAvatar_122_1100lo.jpg(didnt want to lose that link Surprised
breakbeatz2

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
You cant possibly tell me that God doesnt exist, you've never expeirienced what I have.

Please elaborate
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject:  

I'm amazed you think we'd care so much. Oh gosh, another stranger on an internet forum insulting religion. What a red-letter day.

Quote:
I just don't like people preaching beliefs which are obviously false.

FYI - My beliefs are not false, because that would imply that they could be proven one way or another. Simple logic pwn. As I've stated before, "faith" falls outside the realm of what can be proven or disproven.

Although, if you're going to start preaching about the virtues of "fact," you shouldn't be so careless as to make fallacious assumptions.

yarly
Wank

BNet Acct/Realm: Imp StormsRaider
57.98 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject:  

breakbeatz2 wrote:
Quote:
You cant possibly tell me that God doesnt exist, you've never expeirienced what I have.

Please elaborate

How would you like me to explain?

You read my whole post and came out with two words?

Please elaborate.

Equipped Lvl 30's:
Froggy-Leap Attacker, Vidala- Bow, Starly-Wind, Haunter-Bonenec, Dragonair-Fissure, Vileplume-Psn Jav, Clefairy- Wc

http://img104.imagevenue.com/loc1100/th_30982_ImpAvatar_122_1100lo.jpg(didnt want to lose that link Surprised
breakbeatz2

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
FYI - My beliefs are not false, because that would imply that they could be proven one way or another.

I would laugh at someone who claimed leprachauns live under the surface of the Earth even though it can't be disproven.

Quote:
Which seems more reanonable to you?

Scenario #1: God created the garden of Eden. Moses parted the Red Sea. David slew Goliath. Jesus walked on water and rose from the dead. Water was turned into wine. Statues cry blood as we await for the return of Jesus.

Scenario #2: All that "scientific mumbo-jumbo"

You don't need to be 100% sure to realize that scenario is much more likely.

I'm sure if your parents were Muslim you would be sure that Islam was the way to go. If your parents were Buddhist, you would be a devout Buddhist as well. You have blind faith in what Mommy and Daddy taught you. Way to go.
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject:  

Spoken exactly like someone who gets all his beliefs spoonfed to him. You're Jewish because your parents are Jewish, ergo everyone else must be the same way. Believe it or not, not everyone is as simple-minded as you. Once again you make several laughably false assumptions, about both myself and my parents, presumably because you never learned to think for yourself and so you project your insecurity onto others. Don't worry - it's a normal defense mechanism.

yarly
breakbeatz2

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject:  

No, I'm right.
SoaringSquirrel

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject:  

Er, Jerk, I still can't tell if you're just doing some damn good satire, or being serious. Suffice it to say that I sure hope that it's just satire though. Confused

breakbeatz2 wrote:
In that case it's impossible to completely disprove anything.

Not quite. You can disprove that you're sitting on a blue whale as you're typing this by simply looking at it. God, on the other hand, is generally defined in such a way to be undetectable, and thus unfalsifiable (at times even undefinable and ineffable), so it's not a simple matter of looking under your sofa, finding nothing, and proclaiming its nonexistence. I personally hold the principle of parsimony in utmost value (courtesy of Ockham) though I can't speak for others, which, in conjunction with empiricism, leaves me at the lonely default position of nontheism.

Conversely,

Quote:
In that case you can't prove anything [...]

I chellenge all you religious nuts out there to take me up on this offer. You say that I can't disprove the existence of God. Well you can't prove ANYTHING. You can't even prove what your screenname is on this message board. Give it a try.

It is a bit of a stretch to expect that anything can be proven completely conclusively, as you here noted. After all, throughout the history of science and philosophy, our certainty in our senses have been critically wounded by all the slings and arrows of Pyrrhonism, Cartesian skepticism, solipsism, quantum mechanics, etc. We realize that, even in our most confident measurements and assessments of the world, they are but approximations, and the only certainty is in the abstract conceptualizations of logic and mathematics. Indeed, it is upon this skepticism that science is based -- that we offer the best available explanation for some phenomena, without asserting the absolute and ultimate validity of it. As remarkable an instrument science is, we must recall that its purpose is descriptive, and not prescriptive -- to claim the latter would to commit scientific hubris, uniting religion and science under the same principle of dogma.

That being said, yeah, it's by far more plausible that the Big Bang occurred, abiogenesis led to life, and evolution led to the advent of humans than that Young Earth Creationism balderdash.

TacoBell wrote:
Yay more people who constantly preach about why religion is fake! How ironic!

Oh, no. Religion is real, my friend, I think we all realize this -- it's God that is fake. Razz

breakbeatz2 wrote:
No, I'm right.

Well spoken, and elaborate to boot! You should look into law school. Wink

Props to Mark Owens for the sig. My firstborn baby squirrel will be sacrificed in your honor. Wink
breakbeatz2

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
Not quite. You can disprove that you're sitting on a blue whale as you're typing this by simply looking at it.

No, you actually can't completely refute that possibility. Science disproves Jesus's ability to walk on water just as it disproves my ability to magically teleport to the back of a blue whale with my laptop in order to write this post.

It's just not disproven with 100% certainty.

Quote:
God, on the other hand, is generally defined in such a way to be undetectable

I can invent ridiculous parameters in order to make all my arguments impossible to disprove as well.
SoaringSquirrel

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject:  

breakbeatz2 wrote:
No, you actually can't completely refute that possibility. Science disproves Jesus's ability to walk on water just as it disproves my ability to magically teleport to the back of a blue whale with my laptop in order to write this post.

Right-o. Not 100% certainty, I grant you this. However, unless you were being observed while you were posting, science did NOT disprove that you teleported onto a blue whale to post, just as it cannot disprove Jesus' walking on the water. You're using induction based upon other instances to assert the probability of it occurring, but inductive reasoning can't "prove" the truth of the argument, only that it's a pretty good one.

Quote:
I can invent ridiculous parameters in order to make all my arguments impossible to disprove as well.

That, you can. For the sake of staying away from questions of solipsism and consciousness, I'll just say that this is why I think parsimony is so necessary. Flew points out that any proposition which does not have any observable or testable qualifications is meaningless, for it "dies the death of a thousand qualifications". Which is why I think we should Ockham's razor any such proposition for all intents and purposes concerning public domain.

Props to Mark Owens for the sig. My firstborn baby squirrel will be sacrificed in your honor. Wink

Last edited by SoaringSquirrel on Fri May 04, 2007 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject:  

breakbeatz2 wrote:
No, I'm right.

Sure you are. You're Jewish because your parents are Jewish, ergo everyone's religious beliefs must be the same as those of their parents.

That's called "Appeal to common practice." Classic logical fallacy. So far your only arguments against religion are "You can't prove God exists" and "My parents are Jewish too."

Gee, you sure changed my mind!

yarly
zarc

BNet Acct/Realm: USEast NonLadder *fyarbeast USEast Ladder *fyarbeast1
-2.48 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject:  

Since you all seem to have taken a logic course or two...how about i mention this...Appeal to authority???

SoaringSquirrel

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject:  

I think you might want to unpack that a bit more, since it's applicable in many, many ways to this discussion.

Page 4 of 11 [157 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 9, 10, 11 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: