LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue May 14, 2024 9:53 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
For Intelligent Christians Only.
Page 6 of 11 [157 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject:  

SoaringSquirrel wrote:
We realize that, even in our most confident measurements and assessments of the world, they are but approximations, and the only certainty is in the abstract conceptualizations of logic and mathematics. Indeed, it is upon this skepticism that science is based -- that we offer the best available explanation for some phenomena, without asserting the absolute and ultimate validity of it. As remarkable an instrument science is, we must recall that its purpose is descriptive, and not prescriptive

PERFECT!

i argue our "BEST" mechanism for life in the natural world.. might not do much for the afterlife....but as we know, trying to think about the afterlife spawns exactly the issue we are debating.

Dao Jones wrote:

Okay, so what started the universe? The Big Bang? That theory has enough holes in it that I could strain my pasta with it.

irrelevant, faith arguments are a microcosm of existentialism, "if not this and not that, then nothing"
the issue is not of a metaphysical question.. its ethical.

the ethics of zealous religons is not ok for me in the long term....
but zealous science is superb as our best hope for natural survival.

ill say it again.
pick a side and make sure its a good one for everyone!
great minds who strive for "facts" as perfect as they can be as they relate to this natural world.

in other words.. ill choose to pray to science bc it has provable effects. repeatable, progressive and will admit when its wrong

we will probably never know what started the universe bc we cant even describe the idea of infinity. (we do it with 7 letters) but we can do our best to measure and find the patterns all around us to preserve ourselfs.. and im starting to see super natural faith causes more problems then it solves.

Goky wrote:

Jerkazoid wrote:

pick a side and get a hand gun,, the US is still at war

You're kind of creeping me out here.

Laughing Fear is such a great tool
Goky; beware of my affinty for Colbert, Cross and Black. Cool

however, as said, there will be war over beilef, we cannot avoid this .you WILL have to choose a side
either you die for a side. or you die for nothing.

those of us who live in america are all independatly responsible for Iraq no matter WHAT we beileve.. you contributed in some insignificant way. you paid taxes, you invested, you inlisted or you protested
and 80 years from now when you die you either helped or hurt the situation.

which was it?

pick a SIDE.
your either FOR the supernatural or against it.
and DONT be affraid to fight for it.

also start smoking.

Last edited by Jerkazoid on Fri May 04, 2007 6:21 pm; edited 6 times in total
DD[2]

BNet Acct/Realm: *DD-Massacre[2]
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject:  

Imp wrote:
Nothing in the Bible is a lie. You learn that 1 or 2 days in Sunday School, lol...

Idk if that was a joke or not if it was then i apologize. but are you kidding me? id say a good half of the old testament (especially the earliest stuff) is technically false but serves a different meaning. Youd learn this if u went to a catholic highschool. There are many things in the old testament that serve to make a spiritual message and teach a lesson, but are not entirely true. Abraham probably didnt live to be 175 years old...
Jerkazoid

4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject:  

oh wait i just thought of something... (or did i)

what does science say about abortion?
what can science do to tell me it is or is not a baby?
what does science say about murder?

hmm... we need faith?? but then what faith? which is best? what do we do when they dont work together?

i guess we have wars Smile joy
hey presidant bush, Limit abortion rights more!! i love it !!!

Last edited by Jerkazoid on Fri May 04, 2007 6:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
zarc

BNet Acct/Realm: USEast NonLadder *fyarbeast USEast Ladder *fyarbeast1
-2.48 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject:  

SoaringSquirrel wrote:

fyar ? the problem is, Christians think that God ordained what is ethical, and what is not, which is why it's so important to approach worldly, public affairs from a humanist perspective, barring as much metaphysical and religious influence as possible.

agreed

diet_sushi

BNet Acct/Realm: Korea's got SEOUL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject:  

I remember seeing some YtMnD which had the arguement about the bible

OH YEAH HERE IT IS

http://circularreasoning.ytmnd.com/

woot here's the other one for you "science" guiz

http://noncircular.ytmnd.com/

Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject:  

Jerkazoid wrote:
Dao Jones wrote:

Okay, so what started the universe? The Big Bang? That theory has enough holes in it that I could strain my pasta with it.

irrelevant, faith arguments are a microcosm of existentialism, "if not this and not that, then nothing"
the issue is not of a metaphysical question..

You're not paying attention to the argument then. You're trying to make some... I guess it's "satirical" argument about absolutism or something. I'm not sure, as what you're saying seems mostly nonsensical. My point, as it is relevant to the thread is that the existence of God is neither definitely provable nor unprovable at this stage in human development. Trying to make the argument is therefore silly. Despite breakbeatz2's desire to split the universe in two, it's just not necessary. I prefer an Agnostic approach to faith - God is unknownable, but God is also largely unprovable. So accept him if you want, if it works for you. Some see God in every rock, some see God as a quantifiable product measurable by test tubes. Personally, I think both sides are kinda silly.

Jerkazoid wrote:

pick a SIDE.

Narrow minded black-and-white thinking ftl. If you're going for parody, I'm just not getting it.

I used to be one of those people who ardently tried to rail upon anyone who believed in religion, too. I used to argue with the best of 'em, but then I realized: why? Let people have their faith, or lack thereof. I've essentially boiled down my arguments against both sides to these two simple statements:

To the faithful I say: bring me a God I can know without needing "faith", and I'll believe. (If they start to quote the Bible they automatically lose. Wink )

To the atheist I say: What came before the Big Bang? Provide me an answer that doesn't require "faith" to accept, and I'll believe.

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
Grim04

BNet Acct/Realm: Grim04/UWNL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject:  

Imp wrote:
Nothing is "foolish" about the bible Grim. Everything in it is what you need, nothing is "left out" and it doesnt have more than it needs. Nothing in the Bible is a lie. You learn that 1 or 2 days in Sunday School, lol...

...Have you read all the bible?

Alot of lessons it teaches are to save yourself even if you're sacrificing you're family.

Sorry Imp but the bible is full of contradictions.
zarc

-2.48 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject:  

not only is the bible self contradicting, it is also a work that is 2000 years old which in itself changes is own guidelines and rules. Who is to say these rules have not changed since then? GOD is perfect, not man. GOD DID NOT WRITE THE BIBLE!!!! MAN WROTE THE BIBLE!!!

Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject:  

fyarbeast wrote:
breakbeatz2 wrote:
Did someone delete my post? It wasn't a flame.

How do all you Christians deal with the belief that all your non Christian friends and family will spend eternity in Hell?

I don't see how you could go through life like that.

appeal to emotion...lol

Haha. Pulling out yet another logical fallacy from his arsenal.

But since I know you need all the crutches you can get, Break, I'll answer that for you. I don't judge people in that fashion, because that would presume that I know how God works. By definition, that would contradict my faith in God.

It's not really a hard concept.

Dao Jones wrote:
To the faithful I say: bring me a God I can know without needing "faith", and I'll believe.

This is a point that's hard for me to understand. If God walked down from the sky, introduced himself to you, and told you his exact expectations and limits for you, would that make your life more or less fulfilling?

Part of the appeal of religion is the mystery - through your practice, you become closer to God, reach enlightenment, etc. Having a tangible God would defeat that very purpose.

yarly
Jerkazoid

4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject:  

Dao Jones wrote:

as it is relevant to the thread is that the existence of God is neither definitely provable nor unprovable at this stage in human development.

the argument shifted to state then nothing was provable and why choose 1 god over another, or scienve over religon for that matter... pure exestential

the point i made was; if u picked nothing, your opinion wont matter.
unless you fight for what you beileve, what purpose do you possibly have? (ironically even if it is for peace)

this is why i will throw sand into the eyes of someone who says "your being hypocritical about zealous beilef bc your faith in science can be argued philosophically as just another faith"

well. its not about truth, its about ethics.
its not about perserving my own selfish "soul".
its about good deeds that live on in the minds of others.

ill pick the side that tries to admit when its wrong, takes responsibility for itself, tries to progress, and wont commit genocide in the name of a supreme maker.

also you forgot about the smoking. Wink

zarc

-2.48 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject:  

Jerkazoid wrote:
well. its not about truth, its about ethics.
its not about perserving my own selfish "soul".
its about good deeds that live on in the minds of others.

ill pick the side that tries to admit when its wrong, takes responsibility for itself, tries to progress, and wont commit genocide in the name of a supreme maker.

also you forgot about the smoking. Wink

amen...lol

Grim04

BNet Acct/Realm: Grim04/UWNL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject:  

Dao Jones wrote:
To the faithful I say: bring me a God I can know without needing "faith", and I'll believe.

You wouldn't believe, you'd know.
TacoBell

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject:  

Grim04 wrote:
Dao Jones wrote:

Exactly...haven't you ever seen that movie with Keanu Reeves? He still wasn't allowed into heaven even though he knew it existed Laughing

Quote:
and wont commit genocide in the name of a supreme maker

Ya man, religion is the cause for every war, not corrupt rulers/warmongers Rolling Eyes
Joeyzdead

BNet Acct/Realm: Of_Murder, Of_Murderers , Joeyzdead
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject:  

That's because he commited suicide which is some type of sin or something, And then in the end he made it to heaven which made me sad. Hell looked alot more fun imo.
Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject:  

Roy wrote:

Dao Jones wrote:

This is a point that's hard for me to understand. If God walked down from the sky, introduced himself to you, and told you his exact expectations and limits for you, would that make your life more or less fulfilling?

Grim04 wrote:

I think perhaps I've wandered off into a corner, because I'm not really debating the ethics or moral fulfillment of religion. I'm strictly talking about the recognition of a higher power, to which I am essentially saying "I will not accept faith as the barometer against which I should measure my recognition in the existence of or lack of a higher power". I'm not passing judgement on the things people do in the name of religion or science - merely stating that I don't accept "faith" as a viable alternative to "reason", and was pointing out that people on both sides of the aisle regularly invoke faith-based arguments to make their point.

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
Page 6 of 11 [157 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: